Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

speed holser for glocks with frame weight-thumb rest ?

sigsauerfan

well...LOL. it's funny that now  i  have  all my limited  glocks  working-feeling like  i  like, i  can't  find  a  speed holster  accepting  my  new  set up which involves  a  toni system frame  weight with the  3D  thumb rest....pretty  much the  same  dimension than the  SJC  counterpart.

anyone  knows  about a  speed  holster  that  would  require only  minor  adjustments  so  this  set up fit?

for  one think is  the way  my  race master  magnetic  is  designed  there's  no  mods  that  would  make  it  fit.

DSC04134.JPG

DSC04137.JPG

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a cr speed for mine and it worked great.   I did have to grind part of the holster to make it work.   Very simple and will be very straight forward if you have dremel or something similar to grind alittle    

I picked up a used Ghost - One (old style) and it worked without the muzzle support and the rentention mechanism unscrewed one turn. It locked in tight but I didn't feel comfortable with running it unlocked due to the forward/back travel it has. I'm currently modding it to try to get it to work better. 

CR Speed has a couple glock-specific race holsters which accommodate a frame weight and thumb rest with minor fitting. Takes about 60 seconds with a dremel to just shave off a bit of plastic. I might have a photo of my old G35 limited setup somewhere, but it's very obvious what to do once you have it in hand.

On 13/12/2017 at 7:32 PM, ClangClang said:

CR Speed has a couple glock-specific race holsters which accommodate a frame weight and thumb rest with minor fitting. Takes about 60 seconds with a dremel to just shave off a bit of plastic. I might have a photo of my old G35 limited setup somewhere, but it's very obvious what to do once you have it in hand.

yep,seems like  at the moment only the CR speed WSM 2   can accomodate my  new  glock set up.  it is  just that i'm used  to  the compact  aspect and  feel  of  the DAA  race master  magnetic  whereas  the  CR speed  is  kind  of  bulky...but hey, i  need  a  speed  holster   so  i  guess i  have 0  choice  than getting one.  a  shame  because  i  already invested  a lot of  cash into  the DAA  set up...now  i  have to spens another  100  and  more  into  another rig.

Edited by sigsauerfan

i  have the magnetic  race master...the  way i  see it i can't see   what mods  could  be  done  to  fit  my glock set up ,while    i  know  saul   had    to modify  one  for  a  shooter  at  the  world  shoot  this  year.

i  e-mailed  Saul  about the  whole issue  , and      he  explained   what  he  did  to  make  it  fit but  the  whole process  is  still  blured  enough to  me  that  i  won't  try  till i  have  a  clear idea  about what   work has  to  be  performed  .

what i  can see  is  the insert must  be  replaced  MUCH higher  inside  the  holster frame  to  make it  work...other  than that......well,i  don't know.

sure  enough  i'd  like  Saul to  explain in details  how  it can be  done  knowing  he  did it  himself, but in another  thread  i've  opened    on the  DAA  part of  the  forum  he  stated  that it's  a  tricky job  without  going into  more  details.

Edited by sigsauerfan

On 16/12/2017 at 9:01 AM, mwray said:

Then get a DAA magnetic race master

hey man...did  you  looked  at    the  thread   opener?  some  of  your  random  replies    shows  that  you   did  not.....

Edited by sigsauerfan

hey man...did  you  looked  at    the  thread   opener?  some  of  your  random  replies    shows  that  you   did  not.....

No I did not. But now that I’ve read over all of it. The CR speed holster should work fine for your application. I will hit a buddy up that had one for the same setup that I’m sure he’s not using anymore. If he wants it gone I will pm you

thanks novagunner.  went  around  this  thread  3  or  4  times  in the past....browsed  into  it  again to  see  if  there was  something new  .  seems  like  the  '''ghost one'''  and  '''cr  speed  wsm 2''' are  probably  the  only options  as  right now.  

in the meantime  i've  built  a  CZ tactical sport and  got the  CZ  insert  for  my DAA RM magnetic  . i'm still on the  fence about  what  holster  i  will get.  unfortunately  Saul  seems  not  hard  pressed  to work on a  new  insert  to accomodate  glocks  with frame weight.  i  love  my race master  ,it's  small  and  light  ;would  so  like  to  keep  the  same  set up....but i  guess  i  now  have  to  forget it   and  go  with something else. the amadini ghost the one  is  more  appealing to  me  than the  CR speed  bulky set up.

Edited by sigsauerfan

On 18/12/2017 at 4:44 PM, Novagunner said:

The ghost ultimate is the one that SJC will mod. I'll be posting a a thread once I am done with modding my Ghost One. It probably won't be pretty but it should be functional.

i  guess  we  probably  shares the  same ideology:  FUNCTIONNALTY  over  look  on any day.  i  hope  you  will post some pics  of   your  ghost  One once modified.  i'd  rather  have  to  work  a ghost One  than the CR speed  unit.  the ghost One  is    pretty much the  same  size-format  than    my race master  magnetic  .  i  like the  fact  both are  compact  and  slim  and  the  ghost one  is  quite  close in look and  form.  

also  if  you can  explain a little  how it can be  done, i'd  appreciate  a  lot. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/18/2017 at 3:44 PM, Novagunner said:

The ghost ultimate is the one that SJC will mod. I'll be posting a a thread once I am done with modding my Ghost One. It probably won't be pretty but it should be functional.

Did you ever mod this? I ran into the same issue, and I have a hard time justifying spending more $$ on another race holster, and I would like to use this holster. 

I never finished it. I cut an aluminum angle piece down to slide into the groove on the back side of the holster vs the front but never made it to my brothers to use his drill press to make the mounting holes.  

I’ll try to finish it. It is literally drilling 2 holes and screwing it together at this point. 

The Guba Ribas holster will work with no problems.  I was having a difficult  time finding a holster for my Ruger Mark IV with a Volquartsen LLV top end.  The Guba Ribas fit with no problems.  It will adjust to any automatic you can think of.  CPWS.com has them.

9 hours ago, AzShooter said:

The Guba Ribas holster will work with no problems.  I was having a difficult  time finding a holster for my Ruger Mark IV with a Volquartsen LLV top end.  The Guba Ribas fit with no problems.  It will adjust to any automatic you can think of.  CPWS.com has them.

Is that link a typo? It takes one to the website of a power company in Columbia, Tennessee.

The Guga Ribas probably will not work pistols with a frame weight for the same reason other speed holsters don't work. When the trigger guard is inserted into the retaining slot of the holster the underside of the frame rail is too close to the front surface right below the trigger guard slot. I believe that surface is ground down when holsters are modified (like by SJC) to make room for the part of the frame weight below the rail.

This side view of the Guga Ribas shows the holster below the retaining slot is essentially flush with the underside of the frame rail. There is no room for the frame weight. Please go back to sigsauerfan's December 9, 2017 post to see his photos demonstrating how much the frame weight extends below the rail. Novagunner's December 18th post has a photo of a modified Ghost holster where material has been removed to create space for the frame weight.

Coldre07_2017-09-04.jpg