Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flying to Thailand to shoot matches

I have only flown to Africa with guns and it wasn't to bad. Used a broker over there for help with the South African paperwork. USA side of things is pretty easy. I would check with  broker that has a lot of experience in it as they can make the process really easy for you. I know the people we used knew the customs agents and got around something the USA customs agent messed up. Make sure the paper the USA customs gives you isn't out of date.

7 hours ago, BuckeyeBoys said:

Trying to plan an extended vacation that would involve shooting a couple of big matches in Thailand, travelling from the USA. Any experienced help would be greatly appreciated!

Could you be more specific in terms of what kind of help you are seeking?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2017 at 9:31 PM, BuckeyeBoys said:

Trying to plan an extended vacation that would involve shooting a couple of big matches in Thailand, travelling from the USA. Any experienced help would be greatly appreciated!

If you do a search for "Thailand, temporary import of firearms"  you will get a lot of hits.

........and after you check out the data on the Internet be sure that you follow all the policies exactly or you will have some major problems. There are a lot of foreigners sitting in Thai jails for paperwork screwups or other things that some people might consider are "minor violations" and there is plenty of information available about life in the Thai legal system and Thai Jails.

• 3 weeks later...

hey all,

justto jump into this thread.

i had lived in Thailand for over 8years.  i have been in the USA for 8 years.

i too am looking for info about shooting matches in thailand. 

i plan to be in chaing mai, but nothing is set in stone.

does anyone know of any, or can point me in the direction of the  IPSC matches ?  i will be in country from May 20- june 30 2018 and again nov 15 - jan 15 2019.

i have read the about info @RileyLV suggested.  has anyone actually flown with their pistols to Thailand?  any info on the thai side?  usa side?  ammo restrictions on the flight? 

what about layovers?  how is that handled?  i usually fly through mainland china......what should i expect from that?  any tips on where to get that info?  if you have flown internationally how do layovers work?  i will not be touching my checked bags on a layover.

would it be easier or safer top ship the gun?  any experience with that?  suggestions?  i imagine that would be a far worse experience.....but i bet a Chinese jail would suck big time!

thx

eddie

2 hours ago, eddiegunks said:

what about layovers?  how is that handled?  i usually fly through mainland china......what should i expect from that?  any tips on where to get that info?  if you have flown internationally how do layovers work?  i will not be touching my checked bags on a layover.

It is much safer to fly direct to any foreign destination without any connecting flights or layovers in other countries.  You can never tell if one of your flights will be cancelled, rerouted or subjected to a long delay and any of those things creates potential for problems with guns by loss, seizure, or contributing, unintentionally, to violations of local laws.  As for Thailand, I certainly wouldn't risk a China connection, and Tokyo is a good connection but Japan is not gun friendly however they are well organized and if there is a delay or unanticipated change you will get through it..  (Example of unanticipated problem with connection: there was a recent case of a guy taking a business trip with a layover in NY, the layover ended up being cancelled with a long anticipated delay and he decided to just continue by car.  He was arrested when he claimed his luggage which contained a handgun, the owner didn't think about the NY Sullivan Law.)

Thai used to have a nice LAX BKK flight but no more.  

Edited by RileyLV

2 hours ago, eddiegunks said:

if i connect through a forum country and dont touch my bags is it still a no-no?

thx

If you connect through a foreign country you will normally not be able to touch your bags at the connection location because they will be checked all the way through to the destination. 

The potential problem with a connection is that the probability is increased of the  bag being misdirected, exposed to additional risk and theft or other types of loss and when you have a gun, everything becomes more complicated.