Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics Accelerator Cut

Educatedhick

I'm starting to put my gun together for the next season, and I want to shoot in carry optics. I have a glock 34, and before I take a dremel to it I'd like to know if an accelerator / *thumb rest [generic]* cut is legal for carry optics. The rules are kind of vague. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe they mean that anything goes for stippling anywhere on the gun. Can someone please clarify before I have an illegal CO frame on my hands? Thanks 

Emailed DNROI, and only got a reply with a link to the rules. I included pictures and was very polite and professional, and only ended up with information I already had and no clarification. The rules of appendix D7 21.4 state, "Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves,...., without reference to Appendix E4."  So does this mean it's pretty much a free for all when it comes to CO grips?

If you are just talking about adding stippling/texturing on the frame for your thumb to rest on, then yes, you can.  If you are wanting to actually mount an external thumb rest on the gun, then no, you can't.

If you are just talking about adding stippling/texturing on the frame for your thumb to rest on, then yes, you can.  If you are wanting to actually mount an external thumb rest on the gun, then no, you can't.
Pretty sure he's talking about the mod where you diagonally grind away half the "pad" above the front of the Glock trigger guard, just in front of the slide lock/take down lever. Gives your weakhand thumb a very small ledge to push down on.

It's not strictly stippling, and not reprofiling the grip or triggerguard so it seems a little grey. Given the popularity of it in "custom" Glock circles though I wouldn't be surprised if they allowed it.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

In the thread he says he does not compete with the gun that has accelerator cuts.

Edit: Hmm, reading through maybe he does. You could always ask him. he shot Area 8 and a few others and if allowed there then it is good to go I would think.

Edited by casarez

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

If he's shooting the gun in the picture, it's in Limited, not CO, so that wouldn't be applicable.

The gun that’s referenced in the thread is below, and it’s definitly a CO gun and has the accelerator cut. I wasn’t referring to the stock photo from posting the link which the is of Vogel and his limited gun.

I see. 

App D7, 21.4 says:

Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are specifically allowed, without reference to Appendix E4. Grip tape or grip sleeves cannot disengage a grip safety.

You could infer from the above that adding a textured step for the offside thumb may be allowed, especially because of the "but not limited to" part of the rule.  However, that inference really goes against the last line of the Special Conditions:

UNLESS a modification is SPECIFICALLY authorized in the rules or SPECIFICALLY authorized in an official, published NROI interpretation, it is considered a PROHIBITED MODIFICATION.

Cutting a shelf is NOT specifically listed as an approved modification.  Of course, modifying the slide other than to add texture or mount an optic should be prohibited, but I've seen several CO Glocks with that diagonal cut at the bottom of the slide nose.

What it comes down to is that, if the RM at a match asks you to show the rule that specifically ALLOWS cutting a shelf, you really can't.  At least, not until they modify the CO rules again.  If I were the OP, I'd do no more than texture or checker the area.  But that advice is only worth what you paid for it.  ;)  Especially since others seem to be running what should be illegal CO mods without any penalty.

Edited by JAFO
Edited to correct diagonal slide cut, not frame cut

19 hours ago, JAFO said:

I see. 

App D7, 21.4 says:

Grip modifications such as, but not limited to, undercutting/smoothing the trigger guard, adding or removing finger grooves, or adding stippling, grip tape, or checkering are specifically allowed, without reference to Appendix E4. Grip tape or grip sleeves cannot disengage a grip safety.

You could infer from the above that adding a textured step for the offside thumb may be allowed, especially because of the "but not limited to" part of the rule.  However, that inference really goes against the last line of the Special Conditions:

UNLESS a modification is SPECIFICALLY authorized in the rules or SPECIFICALLY authorized in an official, published NROI interpretation, it is considered a PROHIBITED MODIFICATION.

Cutting a shelf is NOT specifically listed as an approved modification.  Of course, modifying the slide other than to add texture or mount an optic should be prohibited, but I've seen several CO Glocks with that diagonal cut at the bottom of the slide nose.

What it comes down to is that, if the RM at a match asks you to show the rule that specifically ALLOWS cutting a shelf, you really can't.  At least, not until they modify the CO rules again.  If I were the OP, I'd do no more than texture or checker the area.  But that advice is only worth what you paid for it.  ;)  Especially since others seem to be running what should be illegal CO mods without any penalty.

I believe you could make a strong arguement that the “accelerator cut” is specifically allowed by the rules.

The thumb shelf is nothing more than a finer groove and the rules specifically say adding finger grooves is approved. That coupled with proven evidence that other shooters (who have fancy jerseys) are using them on their guns at major matches without issue, should more than be enough evidence to convince an RM of it’s legality.

After going to AA's webpage and seeing a closer picture of the "cut", I agree it's really just a slight reduction and some stippling.  The fact that they exempt CO from App E4 should make it legal.  Calling it a cut makes it sound like more than it is.

But I would caution against trying to justify any CO modification by saying someone else is using it.  That won't make a difference to an RM following App D7, 21.  You've got to be able to point to a rule that allows it.

Authorized modifications (Strictly limited to these items and their stated guidelines)

Please note that, during a match, a shooter may be required to demonstrate that their gun is in compliance with Division rules by identifying a specific rules clause or published interpretation, which authorizes any disputed modification. If the shooter cannot identify an authorizing rules-clause or published interpretation, the RM shall rule that the modification is PROHIBITED for Carry Optics use and shall move the shooter to Open Division.

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2017 at 1:11 PM, Dutycalls75 said:

There’s a guy who shoots for Agency Arms and he has the accelerator cut, so I would think your good to go. You can see his glock here:

See I was gonna say something snarky  along the lines of instead of sending pictures of your gun send pictures of how many logos are on your shirt.
Looks like I wasnt really that far off.