Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC & USPSA differences for major matches?

BuckeyeBoys

I'm considering shooting an overseas IPSC match sometime in the future, perhaps a World shoot or some type of championship high level big match. I shoot mostly Single Stack (classic?) Just looking for info on rules, my USPSA classification, registration being open or a spot needed, etc. Some advice besides reading thru the rule book to get started. Most importantly the pistol rules difference would be a great start

Thanks

Ok good start, what about actual pistol sizes, weights, fits in a box? do they still have classic division? Next biggest question would be bringing firearms to Thailand and if shipping them in or shipping in ammo, etc. Any info about Thailand would be helpful, thanks

Yes, Classic division still and should be thru at least World Shoot Thailand in 2021, there will be alot of info on Thailand in the year preceeding World Shoot if you check out the IPSC.org site (also at the back end of the rules section it gives a summary of gun size, weight etc for each division including Classic (easiest way to check out for you)

And in general expect a different style of match. Much more technical, lots of really hard shots and tight positions. 

The majority of stages being less than 20 rounds, but actually much harder to shoot well than a 32-round run n’ gun.

You’ll rarely see a swinger you get to shoot at the end of it’s arc - you’ll have to take them in the center of their movement.

No weight restriction in IPSC Classic other than that the 2 SS and Classic or pretty much the same Unsure of USPSA box size compared to IPSC but must fit in the box with mag inserted.

You can use a race style holster and also magnet's for magazine pouches, must all be behind the hip as is SS I believe. 10 round for minor score ( 9mm/ 38 s)

8 round for major ( .357Sig, .40, .45) 

None of the silly running outside fault lines in IPSC.

In general: IPSC is less restrictive on the gun (as mentioned here it can be heavier, have bull barrel), but pay attention to the box sizes.  The IPSC box is slightly wider than the USPSA, but is smaller in the other two dimensions. (top to bottom, front to back).  The differences are small, but people have been bitten by this.  Additionally there is 35mm max width on the magwell.

-ivan-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am an IPSC shooter from Canada, getting back into the sport in the south (GA) and going to stick to the single stack...biggest "real" difference for me to accommodate for what the pistol position (front strap over top of belt) and no magnet on rig.  All else was a rule check and application...

Interesting event was when I was in squad of fellow and relatively new Canadian IPSC shooters watching (in absolute horror and dismay) a shooter run across the shooting stage outside of the shooting area lines.........the audible 'ahhh, its USPSA" was likely heard range wide....