Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Hawk

Bayougunner3449

The Marauder is a proven platform, that has seen a lot of use in 3-gun.

The Hawk is a new gun, at a seriously reduced price. I have seen no reviews or even specs that explain what they are doing to get to that reduced price.  

Looks like its mostly just a combination of the least costly parts required to build a 2011 pistol. No frills type build that they can offer at a somewhat reduced price-point...

Only a single-side safety, perfectly functional for 99% of our shooting

Fixed sight, simpler part to produce = lower cost

Basic trigger

No magwell included

Simple machining for serrations

Bushing barrel

single caliber

126mm mags

They're marketing it as a "Entry Level" 2011. Like others have said the least expensive parts available with assumed the least fitting possible. 

Im not sure why STI would release a pistol like this, it just cheapens their brand. You think they would have learned their lesson with the Spartan. 

If your looking at a STI your not looking for a cheap gun, your looking at a quality semi custom gun with a great lifetime warranty. 

1 minute ago, Descartian said:

They're marketing it as a "Entry Level" 2011. Like others have said the least expensive parts available with assumed the least fitting possible. 

Im not sure why STI would release a pistol like this, it just cheapens their brand. You think they would have learned their lesson with the Spartan. 

If your looking at a STI your not looking for a cheap gun, your looking at a quality semi custom gun with a great lifetime warranty. 

That would require them to build a quality semi-custom gun. They don't. They build a complete factory assembly line gun, very regularly with terrible quality and lots of warranty issues. 

On that note, the Hawk is confusing to me. The narrow full length dust cover and bushing barrel together... I am confused by it. I imagine that gun is probably not much heavier than a bull barreled Eagle or something. If it were a wide dust cover with the bushing barrel or a bull, then it would probably sell a lot better I would think. I don't see the single side safety as a deal breaker though, but a good way to make it cheaper. 

I do think that it is gonna get more people to give a 2011 a try, which is a good thing since they are such a great platform. 

11 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

That would require them to build a quality semi-custom gun. They don't. They build a complete factory assembly line gun, very regularly with terrible quality and lots of warranty issues. 

On that note, the Hawk is confusing to me. The narrow full length dust cover and bushing barrel together... I am confused by it. I imagine that gun is probably not much heavier than a bull barreled Eagle or something. If it were a wide dust cover with the bushing barrel or a bull, then it would probably sell a lot better I would think. I don't see the single side safety as a deal breaker though, but a good way to make it cheaper. 

I do think that it is gonna get more people to give a 2011 a try, which is a good thing since they are such a great platform. 

That might be a nod to IDPA. The bushing is required for that sport but the recent rules change now allows a full length dust cover which was previously prohibited.

Just now, JRM83 said:

That might be a nod to IDPA. The bushing is required for that sport but the recent rules change now allows a full length dust cover which was previously prohibited.

That is a good point, I had forgotten about IDPA. That doesn't explain why they would use a narrow full length dust cover though, does it? Unless it would be over weight for ESP if it had a wide... Now you have me wondering. 

I just got one a few weeks ago haven't got to shoot but a few mags through it so far. I bought it for it's price point it is my first 2011. I mostly do IDPA and 2-gun matches so  the Hawk should do fine for me. It does fit the IDPA box the weight is around 36oz. I did add a mag well to it and it fits the Edge holster. The fit is tight and finish look's fine to me the trigger is around 4lbs. with a short reset. No it's not a 2 thousand dollar pulse gun but it got me in the 2011 game I couldn't be any happier.

1 hour ago, RPF said:

I just got one a few weeks ago haven't got to shoot but a few mags through it so far. I bought it for it's price point it is my first 2011. I mostly do IDPA and 2-gun matches so  the Hawk should do fine for me. It does fit the IDPA box the weight is around 36oz. I did add a mag well to it and it fits the Edge holster. The fit is tight and finish look's fine to me the trigger is around 4lbs. with a short reset. No it's not a 2 thousand dollar pulse gun but it got me in the 2011 game I couldn't be any happier.

What is the weight with magwell and unloaded magazine? 

Add one of the old steel SVI magwell that's a little narrower and fits the idpa box without alteration. Couple more ounces of stationary mass there. Maybe a steel MSH too and get it to right at 42ozs for an excellent ESP blaster that doubles as a solid 3 gun blaster as well...

I think you will like the Hawk once you get your hands on one. The only thing I didn't like was the wide notch in the rear sight I just like a narrower notch. My investment in the gun, holster and three mag pouches,three extra 17rd magazines and the magwell was gust under $1900.00. I need to stop buying all these toys retirement is just 12 months away but I can stop then.

On 12/10/2017 at 9:40 PM, Bayougunner3449 said:

Thanks for all the info. This will be my first 2011, so I’m not exactly sure what to look for. I’ll wait for my local shop to get one in before I decide. I was set on the Maurader until the Hawk was released.

I actually like the Hex Tac a bit more than the Marauder.  Tritop slide for a little less weight and the hex serrations are absurdly grippy. Other than that they are the same gun.

My dad has one and it seems pretty solid.  He shoots a CK 40 in USPSA, but didn't want to spend as much on a 9mm for 3gun since he's less active in that sport.  IMHO, it fills that gap pretty well.  Personally, I'd prefer it with a SDC, but beggars can't be choosers.

11 hours ago, 72stick said:

Maybe Dawson will offer a CRP version of the Hawk! I picked up a 9mm Edge CRP a couple years ago for 3 gun on sale for $1875. This Hawk could drive that price down even more.

Would be cool, but doubtful.  My understanding is that the Hawk is a limited run.  If memory serves, only like 62 were being made, so I'm guessing they were just trying to use up some parts they had laying around or something. 

On 12/13/2017 at 8:24 PM, 72stick said:

Maybe Dawson will offer a CRP version of the Hawk! I picked up a 9mm Edge CRP a couple years ago for 3 gun on sale for $1875. This Hawk could drive that price down even more.

Or it might do the exact opposite. I originally that releasing a budget gun might hurt STI's value but it might do the opposite. 

Raise the prices on the rest of your guns while still allowing customers an affordable option to get into the brand plus the price point will possible get more people exposed to the brand.........  Get them hooked on the cheap stuff then sell them the good stuff.   It might just work 

On 12/14/2017 at 8:57 AM, fbzero said:

Would be cool, but doubtful.  My understanding is that the Hawk is a limited run.  If memory serves, only like 62 were being made, so I'm guessing they were just trying to use up some parts they had laying around or something. 

62 Until they formally release it during shot show.