Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Increasing stock2 gripability

Nathanb

Entering my second shooting season with my stock2 I’m looking at doing some things to make the fun fit me a bit better. I shot it all last year with egd grips on it and while hey look great obviously were not the best fit. I’ve picked up a set of lok and pd grips to try and it became immediately clear how much better I could grip the gun. For those thinking about this the grips do make a difference.  

I found the egd too thin,  the wood, to slippery, and the loks just about right.  The pd I have trouble reaching the mag release but with them being so cheap I’m going to do some shaping to see if that helps out. 

Another area I was thinking about is swapping the safety to a flat safety. Running the ambi safety I feel like it may be an area that I lose surface area on the frame with my grip and may benefit from the swap.

for those who have done this did you find our grip improved comfort and strength wise by going to a flat? Ever inadvertently throw the safety on because you’re thumb is over it now? 

I realize that I need to work on it separately with technique as well but these are the questions that have been nagging me for awhile. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't go to the flat safety, but I did the low profile single-sided (standard) safety because I had two instances where I inadvertently applied the safety on the draw with the extended ambi safety.  If you're shooting Production, you'll never use the safety anyway, so if you think it's in the way of your grip there's no reason not to fix it.  There are a bunch of different Production-legal options for safeties on these since so many Tanfos on the Production list came with so many different safeties on them.

The PD grips needed a change to my weak hand location.  Moving it slightly back, so the meat of the palm edge is behind the swell, gives more leverage and control. I also ground the thumb access and shortened the top of the left grip.  oh, i also put in time stipling to make them rougher. 

I generally had my thumb over the safety 1911 style but have also gone to the flat safety on one of my guns. Have only worked with it some but believe I prefer it for production.

On the grips, I liked how comfortable the Pd grips are with the palmswell but I had the same issue of not being able to reach the mag button. The LOK’s have been the perfect mix so far for me. I love how aggressive they are. But yes this gun can feel completely different with different grips.

I’ve gone out and measured split speed and sight return and for my particular case I was able to generate more grip pressure with the smaller LOK so I have stayed with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought and felt that palmswells were the way to go until I held a Tanfo with EGD thin grips. Like most folks; the EGDs felt slippery and I went to LOK as soon as they came out. I was also considering the Henning Thins which has a mag release cut (or is it called a thumb cut out?) but I found that the LOKs were perfect and almost not needed for me.

If you are shooting Production, try out the Unica safety since you rarely have to use the safety anyway. I have a friend who kept bumping the safety and it stopped with the Unica. Personally; I always ride my safety with my thumb like a 1911 so it isn’t a problem for me.

On another note, to increase friction (which is very apparent when I was using the EGD Grips) I used ProGrip makes the hand chalky for my sweaty palms when I had the EGDs. Now with the LOK; I find that I don’t have to use it as often.

Great to hear. I have stipling the pd grips and contouring the thumb reach area on my to do before I settle on the loks but so far the loks are awesome and highly grippy. 

It looks like ill I’ll be ordering the flat safety to try out as well worst comes to worst I won’t like it and switch back

I don't think the flat safety is legal for USPSA production division, but if someone can tell me of a gun on the approved list that comes with that safety installed I'd like to try one. 

Really like the PD grips, & the price. 

I am right handed and run the EGD on the right panel and a PD on the left.  Give it a try. I thought about doing this and then JJ Racaza showed a pic on instagram of the same thing.  He beat me to it.  Another buddy is left handed and he has his stock 3 set up with my other right side PD grip and EGD on the left.  He likes the combination as well.  Give it a try and let me know what you think. 

I took my pd grips today and have to say that the loks still worked out better for me after a stiple and contour. It is the first stiple job I’ve done but overall the loks provided more grip and a better reach to the mag release while only being slightly smaller on the overall grip. I think I’m going to stick with them for a bit 

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:28 PM, IHAVEGAS said:

I don't think the flat safety is legal for USPSA production division, but if someone can tell me of a gun on the approved list that comes with that safety installed I'd like to try one. 

Really like the PD grips, & the price. 

Not true. It is legal.

https://eaacorp.com/gun_accessories/index.php/parts/tanfoglio/witness/witness-parts/witness/witness-safety-14-1-301742.html

This is from original firearm manufacturer.

Also from the rule book.

Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors and ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts.
Any other components which are externally visible may ONLY be replaced with OFM parts which are offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun from the same manufacturer except as specifically clarified below. Examples of external components which may only be replaced with OFM parts include (but are not limited to): magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties and triggers.

Edited by happygunner77

9 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

That’s not the sadety they’re talking about. They are referring to the completely flat ‘Unica’ safety, which may or may not actually be made by Tanfoglio.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

That’s not the sadety they’re talking about. They are referring to the completely flat ‘Unica’ safety, which may or may not actually be made by Tanfoglio.

I don't think happygunner77's little bitty short thumbs could reach the safety anyway but that is not important now. 

You are correct. Also, as I read the rules, it does not matter if Tanfo makes a part unless is that part is "offered on the specific model of gun or another approved gun".

I would like to find out a way to demonstrate the flat safety is legal so I could use them. 

Correct. If Tanfoglio is smart they’ll start making a Stock III Unica Ultra-Extreme, which will have every Unica part installed on it from the factory, and get it IPSC/USPSA approved.

Then again, you can now run any aftermarket CZ hammer or Sig Trigger that your heart desires in USPSA. So maybe just shoot Unica parts and assume you’re all good. ?

Edited by MemphisMechanic

22 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

So maybe just shoot Unica parts and assume you’re all good. ?

That would probably work 100% aok, unless I was the one that did it. 

The equipment check guys I have seen locally are older guys who just really love to find stuff. I think a couple bumps to open makes their day :) . Not fussing, they are there to look after the rules. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

4 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Gotcha, just read the OP and didn't see the others recommending the unica. It almost the same as the OFM one, why not just get the OFM and it's cheaper too, plus don't have to worry about the legality of it.

Edited by happygunner77

OFM works, and it is not a big deal, but I have bumped the thing on a couple times this year (once on a table start, the other time I'm not sure how I did it). 

OFM sticks out 1/8" past dead flat & I think that is enough to make it easier to bump than dead flat would be.

What I'd really like is to be allowed to either disable the thumb safety since I never use it or else just dremel it to taste & dab on some re-blue.

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

OFM works, and it is not a big deal, but I have bumped the thing on a couple times this year (once on a table start, the other time I'm not sure how I did it). 

OFM sticks out 1/8" past dead flat & I think that is enough to make it easier to bump than dead flat would be.

What I'd really like is to be allowed to either disable the thumb safety since I never use it or else just dremel it to taste & dab on some re-blue.

Do you have a one sided thumb safety? Try switching to the other side to see if it doesn't get bumped. I had this problem, switched to the thin safety and hasn't been a problem since. Maybe switch it to your strong hand side?

Edited by happygunner77

2 hours ago, happygunner77 said:

Do you have a one sided thumb safety? Try switching to the other side to see if it doesn't get bumped. I had this problem, switched to the thin safety and hasn't been a problem since. Maybe switch it to your strong hand side?

As fate would have it I went to the range today & over the course of 300 rounds of practice I managed to accidentally bump it on 1 time somehow. 

One sided safety, but the shaft of the safety is not symmetrical so it won't let me switch sides, neat idea though. 

27 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

As fate would have it I went to the range today & over the course of 300 rounds of practice I managed to accidentally bump it on 1 time somehow. 

One sided safety, but the shaft of the safety is not symmetrical so it won't let me switch sides, neat idea though. 

Bummer. Yeah, I forgot about the sear spring crevice. Would dry fire practice and thumb over the safety work? Is your support hand bumping it right?

Edited by happygunner77

1 hour ago, kujo929 said:

There was another thread on here saying the Unica safety was production legal because it could be ordered as an option on a factory gun. Have to see if I can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But the problem is, it is not from OFM. It is afermarket. If the rulebook says aftermarket, then yes, it'll be legal, but it didn't say aftermarket.