Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

build the absolute lightest PCC on earth

That's my goal and its for my toothpick sized 10 year old girl. She shot an entire level II steel match with me this weekend and she used my PCC and loved it. However, towards the end of the day she was saying it was heavy.  Therefore, since she basically owns my heart, I want to build her the lightest possible carbine, money be dammed! (this could get ugly quick lol)  

I'm fairly certain I'll go back with a Taccom ULW barrel with only a foam hand guard and probably the simplest shoulder stock I can find, but what options are out there for lowers, uppers, charge handles, parts kits, etc???  I've seen pictures of receivers that have been milled and cut to remove weight, but not sure if that's custom work or store-bought.

Any thoughts and ideas are welcomed.

Thanks!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lead Star has skeletonized uppers, and lowers, but I think they are out of stock at the moment. Check their website.

Building an ultra-light PCC is tough to do and make PF without having the dot jump all over the place. And by ultra-light I mean a gun around the 5 and 1/2 pound mark.

Having said that, a ULW could be just the ticket for her. Even with a bit more recoil she could certainly learn from the experience. 

We're all glad she's giving it a go. :bow:

17 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Would a skeletonized upper with a blow back action be a good idea?  I had thought about trying that but I was worried that I would be eating smoke and and soot.

Good point, b.

Unburned powder back in your face, too.

find a good polymer lower (NOT NFA)....Taccom ULW barrel with nut and foam. Anderson slick side upper with no FA. Not a fan at all on a blow back with a skeletonized upper.

I personally used a James Madison 80% polymer lower.......it's really light and very strong

13 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

find a good polymer lower (NOT NFA)....Taccom ULW barrel with nut and foam. Anderson slick side upper with no FA. Not a fan at all on a blow back with a skeletonized upper.

I personally used a James Madison 80% polymer lower.......it's really light and very strong

I was thinking polymer lower. Did you have it cut specifically for 9mm mags?

2 hours ago, MikieM said:

Lead Star has skeletonized uppers, and lowers, but I think they are out of stock at the moment. Check their website.

Building an ultra-light PCC is tough to do and make PF without having the dot jump all over the place. And by ultra-light I mean a gun around the 5 and 1/2 pound mark.

Having said that, a ULW could be just the ticket for her. Even with a bit more recoil she could certainly learn from the experience. 

We're all glad she's giving it a go. :bow:

Not worried about Pf as she will only be shooting steel challenge...for now :-)

14 minutes ago, nickbfishn said:

Not worried about Pf as she will only be shooting steel challenge...for now :-)

Ah, bunny farts it is.

I say hunt around for the lightest lower you can find in the AR9 (Glock) platform, then top it off with a Taccom upper, a Taccom ULW barrel with foam hand guard, and a Taccom bolt with the mass weight removed. I'll bet you can get close to 5 pounds.

As Eric Von Zipper would say, "You will be her hero."

Hello: An upper like this will be a good starting point. It only weights 2lbs 3ozs with no bolt or charging handle. Another option would be a tricked out Ruger 10/22. My sons used one with a Nordic AR conversion and a Taccom hand guard. Here is the lightweight upper. Thanks, Eric

IMG_1216.JPG

35 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: An upper like this will be a good starting point. It only weights 2lbs 3ozs with no bolt or charging handle. Another option would be a tricked out Ruger 10/22. My sons used one with a Nordic AR conversion and a Taccom hand guard. Here is the lightweight upper. Thanks, Eric

IMG_1216.JPG

Well she was gifted a tricked out 10/22 from a complete stranger at the Alabama steel championship match this weekend. It was the most incredible thing I’ve ever experienced. I’ll text you a pic.

however, she’s convinced she wants to also have a “big gun” (9mm) like daddy ?

And I just got some great news that will make lightweight builds possible and very reasonable.I just got off the phone with Tennessee arms and they told me their polymer 9 mm lower will be released sometime next week. It will weigh in right at 7 ounces and they have already done rigorous testing and are offering a warranty against failure.I plan on buying a couple of them and seeing whatswhat