Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Size of shotshell for 3 gun

Some matches forbid 3". For spinners I use a "hot" 2.75" along with a full choke. Federal Prairie Storm, Remington Express Long Range, any 2.75" #6 turkey load, etc works well on spinners. For everything else I'm using 1 1/8oz, 2.75", #7.5, 1250-1300fps.

13 hours ago, PatriotMRD said:

Some matches forbid 3". For spinners I use a "hot" 2.75" along with a full choke. Federal Prairie Storm, Remington Express Long Range, any 2.75" #6 turkey load, etc works well on spinners. For everything else I'm using 1 1/8oz, 2.75", #7.5, 1250-1300fps.

^^^^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^^

• 7 months later...

Ya don't need a hotter load for spinners...over in 2 if ya just hit the damn thing accurately. If the spinner is placed over 12 yards from the shooter it's not a birdshot tgt.

Heavy loads damage tgts and shotguns designed/modified for light loads. Not to mention the unnessarily sore shoulder.

3 minutes ago, RiggerJJ said:

Ya don't need a hotter load for spinners...over in 2 if ya just hit the damn thing accurately. If the spinner is placed over 12 yards from the shooter it's not a birdshot tgt.

Heavy loads damage tgts and shotguns designed/modified for light loads. Not to mention the unnessarily sore shoulder.

I used to agree with this, but it turns out 1 Prairie Storm can get it in a fraction of a second where 2 birdshot can take well over a second. That stuff adds up.

52 minutes ago, RiggerJJ said:

But I don't put spinners in majors, imho they don't belong there...

Curious as to your reasoning behind this. I'm generally not in favor of circus targets but it seems I'm in the minority.

Also, make sure you click that hyperlink inmy post above.

1. It's a circus tgt, like you say.

2. you should not have to carry 20 different boxes of speciality shotgun ammo for majors.

3. It screws the shooter with a fixed choke.

Edited by RiggerJJ

4. Using PS on a spinner nullifies the entire porpose of the target, which is to test the shooters accuracy and timing. Akin to using PS on a star and shooting the center hub and knocking all tgts off in one shot.

• 5 months later...
On 12/13/2017 at 7:30 PM, Zoomy said:

Does anyone ever use 7/8 oz loads for stages that just have short distance clays, poppers and small plates?

Most shotguns won't cycle it. I have run hotter 1oz loads but that's just because they were cheap. 

• 10 months later...
On 7/28/2018 at 11:33 AM, RiggerJJ said:

4. Using PS on a spinner nullifies the entire porpose of the target, which is to test the shooters accuracy and timing. Akin to using PS on a star and shooting the center hub and knocking all tgts off in one shot.

🤣

• 4 months later...