vnboileau

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On Sunday, December 03, 2017 at 9:32 PM, vnboileau said:

I got my first press a few weeks ago and so far I've only loaded 9mm.  But my .45 dies and bullets (185 and 200 swc) should be here tomorrow.

I'd like to load some soft shooting, accurate target/plinking rounds for my 1911s.

I keep seeing Bullseye mentioned, but I'm wondering if there's something better out there to try?  I don't want to spend the $ for N310. 

Prima SV, Sport Pistol, ?

This might not help you now, but my wet dream bowling pin load is:

230 gr. Hp or Fmj over 6.5 gr. Unique.

My 1971 colt 5" loves them.

I want to give RS Comp a try.  Been using WST for quite a while.  Since I'm not a gun gamer and my local clubs defensive pistol matches don't have a power factor I've been shooting 155 gr SWC bullets over 4.6 gr of WST.  It's so soft that I had to drop to a 12 lb recoil spring.

Yes it's a .45 ACP load.  Yes I cast my own 155s.  

W231 - 5.2grs, CCI-300, H&G 68  200gr. SWC, Speer or WCC brass works great in my 45's

shoot em all day long.

W231 - 5.9grs. CCI-300, Zero 185gr. JHP, Speer or WCC brass also work great

another load is:

N310 - 4.1grs., CCI-300, Zero 185gr. JHP, Speer or WCC brass another good preformer

haven't worked up other loads yet using N310

-Snoopz

Edited by Snoopz

On 4/3/2018 at 5:24 PM, ExStreetWalker said:

I want to give RS Comp a try.  Been using WST for quite a while.  Since I'm not a gun gamer and my local clubs defensive pistol matches don't have a power factor I've been shooting 155 gr SWC bullets over 4.6 gr of WST.  It's so soft that I had to drop to a 12 lb recoil spring.

Yes it's a .45 ACP load.  Yes I cast my own 155s.  

I've only loaded Acme 230 gr rn / 3.9 gr of RSC / 1.250 OAL / Federal brass / Federal LPP. Makes major in my G30 (173ish) low smoke/clean, accurate, and soft!

Cheers!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, jripper said:

My USPSA load has been 3.9 clays behind a 230 coated bullet.  I recently tried some 185 coated under the same charge and they shot great!.  Super soft and very accurate.

And likely not major. ?

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

And likely not major. ?

No.  The 185s are not even close.  I thought the original thread was for light target shooting loads.  My 230 with the 3.9 clays is 170 out of a 5" gun.  Just chrono that Saturday.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 2:23 PM, jripper said:

My USPSA load has been 3.9 clays behind a 230 coated bullet.  I recently tried some 185 coated under the same charge and they shot great!.  Super soft and very accurate.

Have you had any issues with weather temps? Looks to be what on what I was planning on loading for USPSA.

Good to know I could download for 3 gun as well.

1 hour ago, Rieckman said:

Have you had any issues with weather temps? Looks to be what on what I was planning on loading for USPSA.

Good to know I could download for 3 gun as well.

It was about 45 degrees when I chrono.  It was in the 80s time before that.  It doesn't appear to vary much.  I love shooting the 185 light loads, btw.  Very soft and make big holes in paper.

On 10/15/2018 at 1:46 PM, ChuckS said:

And likely not major. ?

The new Clays from Canada has a hard time making major using 230 grain bullets. With MG's I had to push it to 4 grains. That is why I moved to Nitro 100, its a much better powder with much less recoil for major.

WST was my favorite until I shot the 2015 Nationals, and I made major with 165 on the dot after the same round clocked in at 169 in cooler weather. Heat and WST just do not mix well. 

I'm not sure about making major with jacketed bullets.  The coated bullets, in my experience, usually take a bit less powder to make the same velocities as jacket bullets.  I think when I was running jacketed, I ran 4.1 grains. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’ve loaded up many THOUSANDS of 4.0grs Bullseye, under 230gr Plated RN bullets, 

1.260” OAL.  This is what all my friends that buy 45acp from me, repeatedly ask for when buying by the case/1k.  It’s SUPER accurate, reliable in their 1911’s & G21’s.  I don’t vary too much from this recipe, unless I stumble on different weight  bullets,  

REALLY cheap!

• 2 months later...