Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate, soft shooting .45 load?

vnboileau

I got my first press a few weeks ago and so far I've only loaded 9mm.  But my .45 dies and bullets (185 and 200 swc) should be here tomorrow.

I'd like to load some soft shooting, accurate target/plinking rounds for my 1911s.

I keep seeing Bullseye mentioned, but I'm wondering if there's something better out there to try?  I don't want to spend the $ for N310. 

Prima SV, Sport Pistol, ?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, USSR said:

WST is really popular with the Bullseye shooters with their light loads.

Don

I'm a huge fan of WST for light loads.   Much cleaner than that old standby, Bullseye, and it has the most freakishly consistent metering I've ever seen in a powder.

On 12/4/2017 at 7:24 PM, zzt said:

My recommendations, in order of preference are:

Alliant e3, WST, Clays (original), Clay Dot, Solo 1000 (for Major).  Forget about anything else. 

I've seen lots of mentions of e3 here, but there's no 'official' load data listed for handguns.  Just started reloading about a month ago, would e3 be something to avoid as a newbie?

vn, think of e3 as a very stable Clays, without the pressure spikes near max.  It also exhibits no temperature sensitivity.  For 45 it is one of the best powders for beginners, because it offers no surprises.  Use Clays data for your e3 45 loads.

My bullseye loads is 3.4gr e3 under a 200gr LSWC.  You can use the same charge under a 185gr TC plated bullet for a softer shooting load for plates and pins.

I started with WST and liked it very much.  It has a weird temperature sensitivity where it is faster at mid-range temps, but slower in hot or cold temps.  You have to use more of it that e3 Clays, N310, etc., because it gets dirty and inconsistent at anything below 4.2~4.4gr under a 200.

I next moved to VV N310, because everyone said it was the best.  Horse hockey.  It is only consistent and clean at max loads or higher, and it is horribly temp sensitive.  A hot load at 90 deg will barely cycle the slide at 32 deg.

I like Clays and Clay Dot.  Both work well.  I bought Clay Dot when Clays became unavailable.  The two are interchangeable.

I have always liked e3 since it first came out.  I didn't use it for pistol much, because I was hoarding it for shotshell reloading.  As more and more people learned of the merits of e3, more places stocked it and it was easier to find in 8 lb jugs.  So I used some for reloading 40sw to minor and major.  Since I can get e3 anytime I want now, I've been using it also for 45 for the past two years.  I'll shortly be reloading 9mm, so I'll use it for minor loads.

BTW, new Clays is not the same as old Clays.

e3 is what Clays wants to grow up to be and RS Competition is a tie. Either will give you exactly what you are looking for with no surprises. My Wife who is ultra recoil sensitive chooses RS Comp. over anything else, i cant really tell the difference. The old Clays was really hard to beat but it is unobtainable. 

Use Red Dot load data as a starting point for E3. Don't load it too hot, pressure excursions are why Alliant won't give pistol data for E3. At reasonable levels, it works great in .45acp and awesome in .40sw. Be a little more careful than usual with the metering, large flake powders can be tricky.

On 12/15/2017 at 2:05 AM, Absocold said:

Use Red Dot load data as a starting point for E3. Don't load it too hot, pressure excursions are why Alliant won't give pistol data for E3. At reasonable levels, it works great in .45acp and awesome in .40sw. Be a little more careful than usual with the metering, large flake powders can be tricky.

Actually, you should use old Clays data for e3.  Recipes are the same to within 0.1gr.  So are chron results.  Unlike Clays, you will have no pressure surprises if you decide to go hotter.