Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long range rifle options

sean_stw

I'm curious about that 6.5 Hornady PRC cartridge myself. As much of a game changer as the 6.5creedmore was, it just didn't produce the velocity I wanted with the higher BC projectiles, which is why I stuck with 6mm.  I'm still drooling over the 6.5 SAUM, and hope to one day put one together.  But the 6.5 PRC may be the cartridge I always wanted, being someone can actually buy factory brass for it.  And if they are talking only a 30fps deficit compared to a SAUM...  That may be the new it cartridge.

6 hours ago, troupe said:

Shot Show is just around the corner, and I had heard an insider scoop that Ruger may be bringing the new 6.5 Hornady PRS out in the PRS rifle. May be worth the wait.

22 hours ago, troupe said:

Shot Show is just around the corner, and I had heard an insider scoop that Ruger may be bringing the new 6.5 Hornady PRS out in the PRS rifle. May be worth the wait.

I didn't even know about that cartridge, now that might open a whole new set of options. getting that extra 200ish fps over the creedmoor really sounds great and I would assume barrel life would drop some but probably not to all to much.

On 12/8/2017 at 9:50 AM, troupe said:

The 140's are supposed to be in the 2900 fps range , so barrel life wont be a killer.  Looking forward to it.  Hope it will have the Creedmoor accuracy.

2900 is pretty low end of all the reports I've seen so far.   I've seen 3000+for factory 143 eld-x and just under 3000 fur 147 (the hide claims).  For the 140's 3050ish seems to be where most people are depending on powder.   I get my 6.5 prc delivered on Wednesday.  Looking trying this round out and see fur myself

Edited by Tacticalpanda

27 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

You’re local to me. If you want to shoot a Savage in 338 let me know. I have a 110 hs precision. 

Cool, yeah Milford isn't far at all from me I might just take you up on that offer. Thanks.

I went through this same delimma.  I have a 50bmg and a 308.  I wanted something that would shoot supersonic out to 1800 if possible and still have real energy if I decided to hunt with it.  I went with a Rem 5R-Milspec w 24" threaded barrel in 300 Win Mag.  Berger 230 gr8 bullets at 2850 are supposed to outperform the 338 Lapua out to 1500 yards according to Brian Litz.  I was looking at the 300 RUM seriously as well as the 338 Lapua.  

Good brass for the WM is half the cost of the RUM and about 4x cheaper than the Lapua.   I'm not a huge fan of the belted case but so far I like the 300WM.  I put it in a AICS 2.0 chassis.  Currently I started playing with the Hornady 225gr ELD-M.  It has a listed .777 BC.  I run a Rugged Suppresor Surge on it which makes it kick about like my 308 win.  I wanted to get some trigger time behind this caliber and setup, and if it does everything I want I will consider having a custom built on a Defiance action.  Do a search for the Litz article.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sean_stw said:

That new Ruger stock looks almost identical to the Bergara HMR, I'm gonna be looking some more into that Ruger Thanks Gooldylocks 

It is a laminate wood stock that is painted, so it should be much stiffer and stronger than the HMR. Multiple people on Sniper's Hide say the forend of the HMR is a bit flexier than they would like. I also saw one video where a Ruger rep at SHOT said the rifle has a 26" barrel rather than the 24 that is listed on the website. So we shall see. 

• 4 months later...