Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm reloads for pcc

I currently load bayou 147g flat points over 3.2gr TG for my 5.25 XDM.  I'm looking to buy a 9mm PCC in the near future, and wanting to standardize on a load for both my pistol and PCC.  Would the bullet profile I'm using work well or do I need to make a change?  What do most feel is the best all around bullet profile and weight for both applications?  I really like the cost and performance of the Bayou bullets.  Any advice is appreciated.

It will most likely be barrel dependent and how long your PCC will allow you to load. I haven’t seen too many problems regarding bullet profile. I’ve shot about all of them through my PCC and they all work just fine.

Currently using a Blue Bullet 135 TC for 9mm minor at 130pf. Makes about 140pf in my PCC. Try your current load in the PCC and see what you think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you end up with a MPX you will probably need to load something hotter unless you open up the gas port. Mine loves the high pf stuff, but my loads that barely make minor (147 gr) will sometimes not cycle the action. I can't tell the difference shooting either load in that gun though. Soft as hell.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

There's a lot of factors and you'll really need to try various loads and chrony them.  When I initially tried my pistol load in my JP PCC, It ran 108 pfs faster from the JP.   I have since lightened the spring and buffer in the JP and my last loads run about the same in either gun.  I've tried 115, 124, and 147 JHP (running JHP to minimize lead in the comp).  I've settled on 3.5 Tite Group with the 124 bullet.

7 minutes ago, L9X25 said:

If you want to use the same loads for both, and make similar velocities, I would get a Taccom ULW barrel that is 5.25" barrel with a sleeve to extend it to 16".  

That is the route I have chosen, can't wait till everything gets here to finish the build. The only issue is the statement on the Taccom site that reads

"WE DO NOT RECOMMEND SHOOTING POLY COATED OR CAST LEAD BULLETS IN THESE BARRELS…..IF YOU DO, PAY ATTENTION TO BRUSHING OUT THE TUBE"

I currently reload Acme 147's, does anyone have any experience shooting coated bullets through the sleeved barrels? 

Edited by 12Bravo

Others have mentioned some possible methods of cleaning the inside of the tube, to prevent build-up, such as a brake hone with an extension or hole saw with an extension.  The build-up does no damage to the tube, other than make it heavier and being light is a big feature for this item. 

6 hours ago, Old3GNR said:

There's a lot of factors and you'll really need to try various loads and chrony them.  When I initially tried my pistol load in my JP PCC, It ran 108 pfs faster from the JP.   I have since lightened the spring and buffer in the JP and my last loads run about the same in either gun.  I've tried 115, 124, and 147 JHP (running JHP to minimize lead in the comp).  I've settled on 3.5 Tite Group with the 124 bullet.

What PF are you getting with 124gr over 3.5gr TG?  With the same load in my JP barrel, I was getting 127pf, and having some trouble with steel not falling.  3.6gr for me from now on.

3 hours ago, mahamoti said:

What PF are you getting with 124gr over 3.5gr TG?  With the same load in my JP barrel, I was getting 127pf, and having some trouble with steel not falling.  3.6gr for me from now on.

Right on 125 with both guns.  I haven't had an issue with steel falling but in my experience, there is a lot of variation in how steel is set.  A few years ago I hammered a popper 2 or 3 times with a 145 PF 165 gr .40 and it didn't fall.  My squad mates urged me to get a calibration done.  The match director shot it with his 9mm and it fell.  

15 hours ago, nickbfishn said:

I've had no luck trying flat nose bullets in either of my PCC's.  Therefore, I went with the 145 RN bayous and they run fine.  Just food for thought.

That is what I was thinking. Have you loaded those same bullets for pistol, and if so, how do they perform?

Westy... I use the Bayou 135 RN with 3.6 of WSF for a 130pf from my Briley barrel G34 and 145pf from my 16" PCC.. as Old3Gunner commented about 110fps difference with barrel length... I shoot an outlaw 2 gun match (pistol/PCC) and the club has a set of odd shaped hanging steel typically 12-16" diameter at about 100-120yd offhand for most matches...they don't have to fall only ring, and so far no problems

I've been running my pistol load in my PCC.  I load 124gr CNFB coated Ibejihead bullets with 3.6gr of Titegroup.  I get 136PF in my 5" Allround, and 149PF in my 16" Nordic barrel.  I tried some RN Ibejiheads, but the ogive was weird on them and loaded rounds didn't want to extract from the chamber.

On 12/3/2017 at 9:08 AM, 12Bravo said:

That is the route I have chosen, can't wait till everything gets here to finish the build. The only issue is the statement on the Taccom site that reads

"WE DO NOT RECOMMEND SHOOTING POLY COATED OR CAST LEAD BULLETS IN THESE BARRELS…..IF YOU DO, PAY ATTENTION TO BRUSHING OUT THE TUBE"

I currently reload Acme 147's, does anyone have any experience shooting coated bullets through the sleeved barrels? 

I've not seen any suggestions on this so far.  Got my ULW barrel installed and hope to start working with it next week. 

Due to a range requirement, I will use coated bullets for practice. 

I checked to see how tight a 12 gauge brass brush would be in the tube.  It will work but I'm not comfortable with it .  I have a 20 gauge tornado brush and cotton swab on order. 

Prior to shooting, I plan on spraying some welder's anti-splatter spray on the swab and give the ID of the tube with a light coating.  At the end of the session I'll brush it out with the tornado brush.  Not a big hassle since I clean my uppers after every range visit.

I hope this will keep the tube clean.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

Bill

33 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

I've not seen any suggestions on this so far.  Got my ULW barrel installed and hope to start working with it next week. 

Due to a range requirement, I will use coated bullets for practice. 

I checked to see how tight a 12 gauge brass brush would be in the tube.  It will work but I'm not comfortable with it .  I have a 20 gauge tornado brush and cotton swab on order. 

Prior to shooting, I plan on spraying some welder's anti-splatter spray on the swab and give the ID of the tube with a light coating.  At the end of the session I'll brush it out with the tornado brush.  Not a big hassle since I clean my uppers after every range visit.

I hope this will keep the tube clean.  Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

Bill

Hello: Get a 12 gauge swab and coat it with lithium grease. Swab it in the tube area then remove and that should make it easier to keep clean. Or just use a 16" full length barrel ;) Thanks, Eric

33 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Get a 12 gauge swab and coat it with lithium grease. Swab it in the tube area then remove and that should make it easier to keep clean. Or just use a 16" full length barrel ;) Thanks, Eric

Thanks Eric. 

Have you tried the lithium grease?  Does it make a mess?

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2017 at 9:15 AM, westy6 said:

I currently load bayou 147g flat points over 3.2gr TG for my 5.25 XDM.  I'm looking to buy a 9mm PCC in the near future, and wanting to standardize on a load for both my pistol and PCC.  Would the bullet profile I'm using work well or do I need to make a change?  What do most feel is the best all around bullet profile and weight for both applications?  I really like the cost and performance of the Bayou bullets.  Any advice is appreciated.

115gr MG JHP at 1.100 oal and 4.0gr TG. Coming in at 131PF out of my NCPCC 16". Flawless running round.

I personally don't think much of the idea of one load for two guns, unless you have the same barrel length for both, as L9X mentioned. Each gun has it's own unique requirements for use based on weight, barrel length, and gun handling. 

I'm not saying you can't do it. I just believe that each gun has it's own load for peak performance.

Edited by MikieM

CHRONO RESULTS – 1/21/2018

all test bullets were 124gr RN plated

Winchester Small Pistol primers

14.5 Faxton Barrel & Fortis comp - Blitzkrieg buffer - .223 Carbine spring

WSF 3.7 GR                                                                                                  Titegroup 3.3 GR

1084 fps - 134.4 PF                                                                                     1091 fps - 135.2 PF

1081 fps - 134.0 PF                                                                                     1092 fps - 135.4 PF

1056 fps - 130.9 PF                                                                                     1098 fps - 136.1 PF

1041 fps - 129.0 PF                                                                                     1098 fps - 136.1 PF

1013 fps - 125.6 PF                                                                                     1085 fps - 134.5 PF

1040 fps - 128.9 PF                                                                                     1102 fps - 136.4 PF

WSF 4.0gr                                                                                                      Titegroup 3.5 GR

1156 fps - 143.3 PF                                                                                     1133 fps - 140.4 PF

1146 fps - 142.1 PF                                                                                     1109 fps - 137.5 PF

1118 fps - 138.6 PF                                                                                     1123 fps - 139.2 PF

1122 fps - 139,1 PF                                                                                     1122 fps - 139.1 PF

1172 fps - 145,3 PF                                                                                     1159 fps - 143.7 PF

1095 fps - 135,8 PF                                                                                     1138 fps - 141.1 PF

WSF 4.3gr                                                                                                     Titegroup 3.8 GR

1242 fps - 154.0 PF                                                                                     1211 fps - 150.1 PF

1178 fps - 146.0 PF                                                                                     1217 fps - 150.9 PF

1236 fps - 153.2 PF                                                                                     1226 fps - 152.0 PF

1179 fps - 146.1 PF                                                                                     1257 fps - 155.8 PF

1190 fps - 147.5 PF                                                                                     1243 fps - 154.1 PF

1175 fps - 145.5 PF                                                                                      1218 fps - 151.0 PF

I found 3.3gr Titegroup to very soft shooting  both powders at lower loads were very accurate at 25yds using bench rest..

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:14 PM, MikieM said:

I personally don't think much of the idea of one load for two guns, unless you have the same barrel length for both, as L9X mentioned. Each gun has it's own unique requirements for use based on weight, barrel length, and gun handling. 

I'm not saying you can't do it. I just believe that each gun has it's own load for peak performance.

I just got my daughter the ULW Taccom barrel and carbon fiber handguard.  I was shooting 2.5gr of titegroup behind a RMR 147gr RN.  I had to go back to my standardized pistol load of 3.0gr of titegroup.  The 2.5gr load out of her 5.25 inch barrel was 114pf, its 143pf out of my 16" barrel.  One load will work if you don't mind the extra PF.