Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147gr blue bullet OAL concern

The2aguy

I had a box of 147gr RN blue Bullets come in today

In order to pass the plunk test I’m having to seat at 1.090 or shorter

Punching in the numbers on quickload shows I’ll have to load 2.8gr of titegroup to make power factor and 3.0 is 3,000psi over max

Anyone have any suggestions?

Tried the plunk test on

M&P 2.0

Glock26

Glock 19

Glock 17

All needed a very short OAL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.090 seems a bit short. I'm using the same (Blue Bullet 147) two gen 1 M&P's with stock barrels and one gen 1 with an Apex SDI barrel.

My target OAL is for a max of 1.135

I've loaded it longer. Just redid my shop and who knows where my notes are but recall test loading it out to a bit beyond 1.140 without issues.

However pretty sure I never went out to 1.150 or beyond.

I've also used that load in several other 9mm as well.

Edited to add after reading the previous responses about crimping:

Pretty much what I do:  I flare to at least .380 maybe out to .382

Target crimp is .378.

Edited by ddc

I've shot 3k of those exact bullets through an XDM which has a fairly short throat. I loaded them to 1.115 but they would plunk out to 1.120.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

CZ is notoriously tight,   I was able to get these to run well. I prefer the flat point, a bit more accurate but finicky with brass. but the round nose 

also worked well. 

Something doesnt sound right .......  glocks tend to be very generous.....

did you smoke, or marker loaded cartridge to see where interference is?

i had issues with 147 flat points with certain head stamps,   Having issues at the "hips"

Edited by biglou13

Bullets measured...seem in spec

.355 around

.369 length

Marked a loaded round @ 1.143 with a paint pen and the bullet is hitting the rifling .134 past the end of the case

A quick search shows the GEN 5 has a shorter throat than previous glocks,so that would answer the previous questions about why so short

Lyman 147 lead load data

Titegroup 2.5-2.8

There bullet is .682 OAL

I just don’t know if it’s safe

9 hours ago, njl said:

IMO, both of you are doing insufficient flare and probably just a tiny bit too much crimp.

I agree with nj. Dillon has some recommendations regarding flare that they posted somewhere on BE and I would bet you are below that. And many if not most find they only have to remove the flare when they "crimp". Also, be sure you are measuring the mouth accurately when you check your crimp. As noted in a different, recent post, overcrimping is a common problem.

23 hours ago, njl said:

IMO, both of you are doing insufficient flare and probably just a tiny bit too much crimp.

nlj,

Would that recommendation be for Blue Bullets specifically or 9mm in general? Thanks.

Would you mind sharing your specific target numbers? Thanks again.

PS: I'm using a Mr. Bullet Feeder powder funnel and when I switched to that from the stock Dillon it seemed I didn't need nearly the same amount of flare to get the bullet to seat nicely in the case mouth. My goal has always been to use the least flare possible.

Edited by ddc
additional text

Assuming your flare measurement of .380 is outside mouth diameter, I'd say that's practically not flared at all.  Dillon recommends 0.015-0.020" of flare.  That would mean flaring to very nearly 0.400.  Crimp should be bullet diameter + 2x case wall thickness at the mouth, which for typical 9mm brass is about 0.012".  So, if your blue bullets are 0.355, finished case diameter should be 0.379".  Crimped any tighter than that, you're biting into the bullet.  Flared to only .380, I can't see how you'd be able to seat coated 9mm bullets without scraping coating off the sides.  Have you pulled a bullet to check for that?

2 hours ago, njl said:

Assuming your flare measurement of .380 is outside mouth diameter, I'd say that's practically not flared at all.  Dillon recommends 0.015-0.020" of flare.  That would mean flaring to very nearly 0.400.  Crimp should be bullet diameter + 2x case wall thickness at the mouth, which for typical 9mm brass is about 0.012".  So, if your blue bullets are 0.355, finished case diameter should be 0.379".  Crimped any tighter than that, you're biting into the bullet.  Flared to only .380, I can't see how you'd be able to seat coated 9mm bullets without scraping coating off the sides.  Have you pulled a bullet to check for that?

nlj: I'm not arguing your thesis. I pull bullets every time I set up a load and on occasions thereafter. For the purposes of this thread I just pulled a bullet out of my stash that measured .378/.379 for crimp on two different micrometers. There is no indication of any biting into the bullet.  I will attempt to attach a pic... As I indicated earlier my experience is that the Mr. Bullet Feeder powder funnel is more tolerant of slightly lesser flaring than is the stock Dillon. My crimp numbers are as described. When I developed this load originally I assumed I would have to open that up a tad bit compared to a previous load developed for plated bullets but after seeing no deformation at those numbers went forward with them.

I am intrigued with your suggestion though and am going to do a run with a little more flare and a little less crimp. I want all the accuracy I can get and I am not married to any specific load parameters.

bb.jpg

Edited by ddc
grammar

It seems all your dimensions are spot on.  You have two choices run the 1.090, or throat the barrel.  I had this same problem when I put in a Barsto Barrel in my glock 34.  All of my bullets including MG jhp’s, PD jhp’s, SNS round nose, would not fit unless loaded way short.  I emailed Barsto and they told me the barrel would run any popular commercial ammo.  So I went and tried various carry ammo that I had.  Sure enough every commercial load I had would plunk test.  My MG fmj would run out to 1.160.  It is your bullet profile that’s messing with you.  Oh, I throated my Barstow Barrel and it took like 2 light turns and now I can run all my ammo out to arround 1.135 for the PD’s and 1.125 for the MG’s.

Chronographed from a gen 5 Glock 17

Titegroup 2.5gr

Blue bullet 147 RN

1.090 OAL

775-804fps

Did not cycle in an m&p 5”

Not surprised. Those are running kind of slow. Try more like 3gr.

• 2 weeks later...
I had a box of 147gr RN blue Bullets come in today

In order to pass the plunk test I’m having to seat at 1.090 or shorter

Punching in the numbers on quickload shows I’ll have to load 2.8gr of titegroup to make power factor and 3.0 is 3,000psi over max

Anyone have any suggestions?

Tried the plunk test on

M&P 2.0

Glock26

Glock 19

Glock 17

All needed a very short OAL

That's pretty short. My G17 and G19 (gen 3) can plunk at 1.165.

That's pretty short. My G17 and G19 (gen 3) can plunk at 1.165.

Gen 3 has a longer throat than the gen 5

I did run some 2.8gr titegroup over the weekend that cycled much better but didn’t get a chance to chrono

I received a reply back from blue Bullets stating the 1.090 OAL is common with the 147RN

3.0gr of win 231 also barley cycled