Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for loading .45ACP in Revolver IDPA?

idleclamp

Disclaimer:  I realize I’m probably overthinking the hell out of this and trying to fiddle too much. 

I used to shoot IDPA pretty heavily and got out of it for a few years.  I’ve recently gotten back into it, and hope to start hitting major matches again next year (hopefully Nationals too). I also bought my first IDPA revolver, a S&W 625JM 4”.  That’s what I plan on competing with for the next year.

I’m trying to develop a load for it.  I ordered 2k plated 230gr bullets from Xtreme (mix of RN and JHP).  I’ve read forums on what powders other use, and I can’t seem to get a consensus (surprise, surprise).  I’ve read a ton on manufacturer’s websites and am having trouble narrowing it down.

Instead of asking, “What should I use and why?”, I’m going to approach it from a different angle.  I’m going to list the powders I’ve identified as potential, and I want to know “Why NOT?”  In other words, why not use ____ powder?

The parameters are that this will be almost exclusively shot out of a 625JM, almost exclusively with plated 230gr projectiles (at least for now), and almost exclusively for IDPA competition/practice, so a power factor of 155.  Which means I need at least 674fps out of it, but not much more.  Thank you in advance!

Winchester

IMR

Target

Red

Hodgdon 

CFE Pistol

TiteGroup

Clays

Universal

HP-38

700-X

VitahVuori

N310

N320

N340

Accurate

Edited by idleclamp

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ll suggest you nix Universal from the list. It does poorly at low pressure (incomplete combustion) and really only works well in .45acp if you want full power loads, which I’m guessing you don’t.

I've only used a couple of powders on your list, but 231 has served me well for .45 loads.  HP-38 is either the same stuff as 231 or indistinguishable from it, depending on the source you believe.    I find Titegroup to be a little fast; I don't like the snappier recoil it gives.

Edited by 10X

Not what you asked for, but in my .45ACP 625 with 200 and 230gn coated bullets I run either Bullseye or Unique.

I have no need to try anything else.

How many grains and what’s the difference in the two powders?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a burn rate chart and a volume chart. The burn rate chart will eliminate the slower powders on your list, 340, CFE, Probably some of the IMR's I am not familiar with.
After that look at the volume chart.  Light loads, big case, You want a higher volume powder, that knocks out tightgroup.
231 is a higher volume powder and Clays is even more so,
Probably why they seem to be pretty popular in .45
Personally Id go with a lighter bullet and more velocity and I have an extremely low opinion of Xtreme. Been a long time but I found sizing all over the place to the point you couldnt get crimp correct.
I like WST under Lead 200 gr bullets for 45.

I am loading .45 Rev E and .45 Minor with Bullseye. 

A lot of the other powders I tried gave erratic velocity in light loads and left unburnt granules to get under the extractor. 

If I were going to get tough with it, I would try N310.  Good enough for the USMC. 

• 4 weeks later...

Don't use 231 or HP38 for .45ACP in a revolver.  You will occasionally get unburned flakes under the extractor after a reload.  Causes a horrific trigger pull.  Does not affect a semiauto.

I use WST for lead, Clays for plated and jacketed.

I tried a few of your powders listed and every time WST was softer shooting and just as accurate in both my 625 and 1911

have fun with your testing.  Because I also found that a 200gr coated bullet was softer than the 230 Xtreme, you will have fun testing 

• 2 weeks later...

Titegroup at those pressures gets very dirty with granules left, seems to stabilize about 730 f/s or more

#2 #5 don't feed well from my Dillon measures

231 same as titegroup if I remember right, been 20 years since I used it though

Clays will have larger than normal velocity spreads but burns clean

Most will have larger velocity spreads at the lower pressure curves, might just try all of them and let us know what you find.

I like the 185 coated rn at 860 f/s.

As for the 230's 700 f/s gives you about 160+pf, a bit of insurance for the chrono gods.

• 3 weeks later...

So far, I’ve tried Clays, HP-38, N310, and Titegroup.

HP-38 is dirty as hell.
Clays: meh. Probably need to try it more before making an opinion.
N310 and TG seemed to do pretty well. I may end up getting some WST to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk