Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 ejector issue

xjwalt666

I’m still working on my new build. Again first one I’ve attempted. I fit the slide frame and barrel so far. And when I stalled the ejector and fit the pin I went to reinstall the slide and the clearances are way off. It’s a CK frame, Brazo’s STI lightning slide and using the Brazo’s tuned 9mm ejector. I can’t get the slide on the frame now, the ejector is too far to the inside and doesn’t clear the slide. And also leaves a very large gap between the ejector and slide. Anyone have any ideas on a fix?

dc1f6b0b39b4948e201969350c6d6bc5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will have to fit the ejector. I use a file. Take a small amount of metal off at a time. Go slow and easy. 

I understand that but every gun I’ve handled and pictures I see there isn’t that big of a gap between the ejector and slide.

Could be a problem with where the ejector holes were drilled down into the frame, could also be an out of spec ejector... Either way, your choices are to get an oversized ejector and machine to fit or do as Nugget suggested and file to fit. Though that gap seems a bit large, a lot of ejectors have poor slide fit.

I just fit one to an sv slide and there was basically no gap. On another gun the gap is minimal. Your pic shows a pretty large gap. Being a Brazos  slide and ejector I would think it would be a better fit. 

Edited by magpulled
Stupid spell check

I just fit one to an sv slide and there was basically no gap. On another gun the gap is minimal. Your pic shows a pretty large gap. Being a Brazos  slide and ejector I would think it would be a better fit. 

That’s what I figured as well. I hoped having same branded parts it would work out better. Guess not.

Welcome to the world of mismatched parts.  You should have used a CK slide.  Failing that, the Brazos lightened Caspian slide.  Even then, there is no guarantee.  It's a shame people don't manufacture stuff to the same dimensions.  Sig is another one who puts their ejector holes (1911) in a different spot.

Since you have already fit the slide and the barrel, the only option you have to close some of that gap is to buy an EGW HD oversized ejector and fit it.  You may not even have to take anything off the left side.

Edited by zzt

Welcome to the world of mismatched parts.  You should have used a CK slide.  Failing that, the Brazos lightened Caspian slide.  Even then, there is no guarantee.  It's a shame people don't manufacture stuff to the same dimensions.  Sig is another one who puts their ejector holes (1911) in a different spot.

Since you have already fit the slide and the barrel, the only option you have to close some of that gap is to buy an EGW HD oversized ejector and fit it.  You may not even have to take anything off the left side.

Well this one is a learning curve for me. Next one I will go with matched parts. I’ll look into the egw ejector. Hopefully that will help me out. If I had a mill to do the slide cuts I would’ve bought the CK slide. I will have one next time.

First off, most ejectors are pretty similar in size other than the length of the nose.  Are you sure it's not the slide cut that's out of spec?  Also, It's difficult to tell what's going on from that photo bc it's on an angle.  So it's not clear where the contact is.  In the photo, it looks like you are hitting the firing pin stop and not the slide.  The fp stop has to be cut to clear the ejector if its a standard 45 part.  EGW makes a 9/38 fp stop that's already cut.  And what's up with that extractor?  How are you going to blend that without removing a bunch of material from the back of the slide?  The head on the thing should be flush or sticking out slightly so you can blend it to the rear of the slide.

First off, most ejectors are pretty similar in size other than the length of the nose.  Are you sure it's not the slide cut that's out of spec?  Also, It's difficult to tell what's going on from that photo bc it's on an angle.  So it's not clear where the contact is.  In the photo, it looks like you are hitting the firing pin stop and not the slide.  The fp stop has to be cut to clear the ejector if its a standard 45 part.  EGW makes a 9/38 fp stop that's already cut.  And what's up with that extractor?  How are you going to blend that without removing a bunch of material from the back of the slide?  The head on the thing should be flush or sticking out slightly so you can blend it to the rear of the slide.

It is a 9/38 fp stop. It’s only temporary, so is the extractor. Not really sure why it is the way it is, as it’s an sti part. The ejector hits on the inside right now. It almost seems like the holes are off on the frame and it moved the position over maybe .030” from where it should be. But I don’t have another gun to compare it to here right now.

On 11/30/2017 at 9:46 AM, xjwalt666 said:

I understand that but every gun I’ve handled and pictures I see there isn’t that big of a gap between the ejector and slide.

Really?  I see lots of guns with a decent gap here.  All blended up in the back and the gap really isn't an eyesore.  I just put a CK ejector in a new build using a CK slide and CK frame.  Same interference issue.  Worked on the ejector.  I actually prefer this because the tighter that ejector is to the inside of the ejector cut out the better off you'll probably be in terms of functioning. 

Really?  I see lots of guns with a decent gap here.  All blended up in the back and the gap really isn't an eyesore.  I just put a CK ejector in a new build using a CK slide and CK frame.  Same interference issue.  Worked on the ejector.  I actually prefer this because the tighter that ejector is to the inside of the ejector cut out the better off you'll probably be in terms of functioning. 

I mainly wasn’t sure about the gap being an issue or not honestly. But I did know hat the inside of it needs to be fitted to the slide. But the are that hits is pretty big. I just don’t want to take off too much.

A small gap is common.  And minor fitting is also common.  But if it's a big gap, or you have to remove a lot of material to make it fit, then something probably isn't right.

Ok. I’m gonna see what I can do tomorrow with it and hopefully get it to work.

Take the firing pin stop out and try it.  Measure the width of the stop and compare it to the slide from the side of the rail to the right side of the fps slot.

It’s definitely hitting on the slide not the slide stop. I just did a little work to the ejector and got it almost fitted so I think that’s all it is. But there still is a big gap between ejector and frame. Hopefully it will be ok.

Maybe post some more photos.  If there's a big gap, something probably isn't right.  Unfortunately, just because a part comes from a big name company or gunsmith doesn't mean it's within spec.  I've seen a lot of crap parts from big name outfits.