Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving to Boston in a month

Greetings folks....I live in Florida currently and my wife is getting relocated to Boston for work....so that means so am I.

I'm looking around and trying to find out what I can bring with me and what I can't. I know I can't bring my AR mags (30 & 40 rounds) and my CZ mags which are 17 and 19 capacity. I shoot action rifle, USPSA, and was getting into 3 gun.

Where can I find out what firearms I can take with me and what I need to do when I get there...

Any help would be greatly appreciated and may keep me out of jail. :)

Thanks,

Mike

2 hours ago, Joe4d said:

good one,, yeh NH is only 29 minutes from the center of Boston. Well I imagine traffic,, but Hey u wont have to drive it.

I work in Boston and live on the NH border. It takes more than 29 minutes to get to work, but, you can live 5 miles north of Boston and still take an hour. LOL

Well I reckon Google maps uses current traffic so if you leave at 3AM (when I googled it) you'd be good to go !
For real though I can imagine traffic at normal commute times would be bad. I live and work in BFE,, only traffic is usually me as I dont tend to be in much of a hurry.

Thanks fellas....can't live in NH...too far of a drive. The wife wants to be close to commuter rail so she doesn't have to drive in to Cambridge.

The more I read, the more I'm confused about what the laws are. Going to make some phone calls this week to see if I can start on the licensing portion of this even before I move.

Found some 10 round mags for the Shadow, so I'm good there. Any of you that live there .....any info you have is welcome. 

Mike

You get your license in the city/town you reside in. If you don't know where you'll be, you can't start the process. Mass gun laws are messed up, the attorney general has a great deal of power over them, the legislature is totally dominated by liberals, who then let the AG do what she wants. 

The best place to start is the Gun Owners Action League. www.goal.org

On 11/29/2017 at 9:15 PM, ShelpDogg said:

Greetings folks....I live in Florida currently and my wife is getting relocated to Boston for work....so that means so am I.

I'm looking around and trying to find out what I can bring with me and what I can't. I know I can't bring my AR mags (30 & 40 rounds) and my CZ mags which are 17 and 19 capacity. I shoot action rifle, USPSA, and was getting into 3 gun.

Where can I find out what firearms I can take with me and what I need to do when I get there...

Any help would be greatly appreciated and may keep me out of jail. :)

Thanks,

Mike

I live in MA, and can suggest the Northeastshooters.com forum as a resource.

In order, I would visit:

This thread to figure out where not to move. We are a may-issue state, so there is a nonzero chance that you will not get a permit because the Chief of Police in your town doesn't issue them, or doesn't like your hair/name/dog/____________. You can fill in the blank with anything, really.

This thread to figure out what you can bring and what to do once you get here.

This thread will go over our own special Assault Weapon Ban. I didn't see anything mentioned but FYI suppressors are not legal for civilian ownership in MA.

Strangely enough, magazines over 10 rounds are not restricted as long as they were manufactured prior to 9/1994.

There is so much to write about our amazing state regarding guns, but I will try to keep it to the facts for now, as I'm sure I'll miss something and I'm not a lawyer. If you come away confused, there is a reason for that: it's how the MA legislature and AG operate.

Best of luck, hit me up if you have questions.

Now this is what I need....thank you! Already contacted GOAL and will join ASAP along with the Northeastshooters.com group. Starting to get a good feel for what bases I need to cover before I come up as well as when I get there.

The thread about where to live was GOLD.....huge help there.

Was thinking I would leave the stuff here, but after much reading I think I may be good for 60 days before I'm not. As soon as I have a permanent address, it's go time. :D

Thanks Dan and uwaeve.....excellent info.

2 minutes ago, ShelpDogg said:

That is a major factor in where we buy a house. She has to be able to take the train in. Malden seems like a decent place.....so does Waltham. Both seem close to the trains. And both are green on that list!

Thanks Dan. 

For another zillion non-firearm looks at the towns, try .massstats.com. Lets you look at housing, demographics, education etc. Tough (impossible) to navigate on a phone but workable on a computer.