Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Common ammo

Mason

Wal Mart, when I was shooting factory ammo while starting out. The ammo isn’t going to have any affect on your performance for many months while you begin to learn to play the game.

So just buy in bulk online or wherever is locally convenient.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

shop places like Precision Delta,  midway usa, sportsmans guide, cheaper than dirt and look for deals on brass cased reloadable brass and save it.
Back when I was teacher I always had students buy precision delta remanufactured , was usually best deal and after many thousands dont recall ever seeing a problem with it.
Not sure if it is best deal out there now though. Usually you can get a deal if you order 1000 rounds at a time.

There's at least one guy I shoot with uses T1ammo, never seen him have a ammo related issue. They've sponsored some matches around here as well. USPSA discount and 1st time buyer discount.

I've never used factory more than a match or two so just bought what was cheap and locally available. 

I used Freedom Munitions for a while until their ammo was so weak it started barely ejecting out of my gun with the brass landing on my arm, but this was 2 years ago. I now order from Sportsman's Guide and LAX ammo for general purpose ammo that isn't meant for competition. Before I started reloading, I was using Atlanta Arms reloads for competition ammo.

Your ammo won't be the thing holding you back if you are new. The only reason I switched to Atlanta Arms for competition loads is I bought a 2011, which would not feed .40 that wasn't loaded long reliably.

I used LAX for a long time. Inexpensive and worked. Maybe single digit number of rounds with issues in well over 10k. I avoid freedom munitions like the plague, tons of issues with them although their customer service was pleasant. 

• 1 month later...

I like Atlanta Arms for soft shooters but if buying factory I had a great experience with Ammunition Depot. When Fedex said they delivered it and it wasn't delivered to my house (maybe someone else's...) I called them and they said it was no problem, they'll take care of it and ship out a new package immediately - which they did.  Talk about excellent customer service.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've had pretty good luck with Freedom Munitions new. I shoot 147 gr 9mm. I tried their 124 grain hollow point but had a couple failures to feed so I didn't buy any more of that. 

Unless I have a good reason to change, I'm satisfied with FM. 

I go to gun “dot” deals, then click on ammo, then the caliber, then look at the referred sites on the list.  Many of the above mentioned sites and some others too. Each referred site is a little different, but most have filters for steel, reloads, bullet weight, etc. I have seen some very low prices.