Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TP9SFX: disregard price

Honeybooboo

My dealer has some in. I keep hearing everyone who reviews them say “they are great for the money.” What if price wasn’t a factor and you are comparing it to everything else out there, does it still compare? I hear that they may not shoot as smooth as some other and be a bit flippy. But that’s the same with the walthers that I guess they are copying. 

I handled the glock 19 sized one and good ergos, tight fit, and awesome trigger. I can’t see what would be holding it back. 

If price were not a factor, my personal preference would be to go M&P or Glock at the same price solely for aftermarket support. I'm not sure if there are a lot more parts available for the Caniks now, but the proven aftermarket would have me going someplace else. 

I prefer my steel LimPro. The weight just soaks up recoil, and the tuned trigger is just a pleasure to shoot. But that is the same reasons EAA's are popular for production too. But I had to do a lot to my LimPro to get it the way it is. The Canik is really close right out of the box. I think any of the plastic guns set up for an optic like the MOS, Core, etc. will be similar. The Canik trigger is way ahead of the Glock in my opinion, out of the box. Glock triggers can be great, but is will cost a little.

Grip the gun and shoot it.

Is there a pinch more flip than a Glock or M&P?

Yes.

Do I even slightly notice it when I grip the gun right (HARD) and shoot a bill drill?

Absolutely not.

I came directly to Q5 from a 45oz Tanfo Stock 3, which has half again the muzzle flip of a Glock (even lower, twice the weight, lighter slide, 8 pound recoil spring).

I’m not shooting any slower. It only really matters to people picking nits on the internet. The internet loves the phrase “bore axis” and all that crap that doesn’t really matter.

Addtionally, most Q5 and Canik shooters are still running the ridculously heavy factory recoil spring, whereas most of those peolle evaluating the gun are shooting something with a lightweight one installed, and comparing oranges to apples.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

10 hours ago, valerko said:

if price is no concern Q5 is a bit better build quality , not sure if it's worth  extra $$

I have TP0SFX,Q5 and X5 and only need one and can't decide lol

You need them all to keep making entertaining videos. 

10 hours ago, valerko said:

if price is no concern Q5 is a bit better build quality , not sure if it's worth  extra $$

I have TP0SFX,Q5 and X5 and only need one and can't decide lol

If you only need one, I'll take whichever one you don't want!  But you can keep that budget red dot :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 1:33 PM, Honeybooboo said:

My dealer has some in. I keep hearing everyone who reviews them say “they are great for the money.” What if price wasn’t a factor and you are comparing it to everything else out there, does it still compare? I hear that they may not shoot as smooth as some other and be a bit flippy. But that’s the same with the walthers that I guess they are copying. 

I handled the glock 19 sized one and good ergos, tight fit, and awesome trigger. I can’t see what would be holding it back. 

I shoot mostly 2011’s.  I ended up getting my hands on one of the sfx pistols.  I don’t think they’re any more flippy than any of the competing pistols.  The trigger is awesome out of the box.  The one thing that isn’t a must change isn’t the recoil sys.   Other than that, it doesn’t need much in the way of mods.  I was pretty impressed with it. 

On 11/30/2017 at 1:26 PM, Honeybooboo said:

^^^ So if price isn’t a concern, Q5 or TP9SFX, or the same thing really?

I have never touched a Canik. I’d go Walther just for holster, mag, and parts availability though.

I had a machinist at work turn a stainless steel version of the factory guide rod, and I run an uncaptured 13 lb 1911 flat-wire spring on it.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 weeks later...

Recently picked up a 4" PPQ and immediately liked it better than my 2 year old G34 for some reason. And my G34 trigger is really, really good. Did some frther spring, etc. work to the PPQ and liked it even better. Now picked up a 5" PPQ to try.  But that Canik vs Q5 video was amazing to see. I never heard/saw that.  At  the very least, for a Q5 or 5" PPQ shooter, it would be a great back-up.

• 2 weeks later...

For carry optics these seem like a great gun, if price wasn't a issue I prefer heavier guns but for the money it sure sounds like a great setup. I seen online somewhere that the trigger can be worked to around 2.5lbs which seems really good for a striker fired gun. 

Sometimes the question comes down to "would it be OK if it were to cost more". I don't see value as "ok for the money" but more of a question of "would I pay more". If the Walther cost the same as the Canik, would you chose the Walther or the Canik? Then you factor in parts availability, accessories, absolute feel (after all how much can actually be done to the trigger, etc). If you'd buy the Canik at the same price as the Walther, then it becomes a good value at it's current pricing. 

Having had both, it's my opinion that the SFx is a superb value for what you get.  That said, I found the Walther to have a slightly better trigger and better slide to frame fit.  Plus the Walther had the far better finish (metal treatment vs painted).

If they were the same price, I'd get the Walther hands-down.  Walther is one of the highest-quality manufacturers and has been for years.  Canik is a Turkish company that copies other's designs.  I often hear from Canik apologists that comparable Walthers cost twice as much.  You'll certainly pay less for the Canik, but it simply isn't true that actual street prices are double for the Walther.

I have no dog in the fight because I've sold both and mostly shoot Glocks, Tanfos, 1911s, and Grand Powers.

Got my C/O classification shooting the Canik SFX w/ the Venom 6 MOA dot. The gun is very accurate. The trigger is very good out of the box, (I "tinkered" just a bit, can't help it).  I did get the Sprinco white recoil spring set up, just to try it. I was removing coils from the stock Canik guide rod and would have gotten it down to my liking soon. Polished a few parts. Bought the TF Canik mag extention's (why not). probably didn't need them?.... Comes with MetalForm mags..... What's not to like, especially for the price??.. I can't make up my mind if I like the 147 hand loads better than the 115's or 124's.... Leaning toward the 147's & N320....We shall see... You would be hard pressed to beat this gun for performance and value...... Picked up a second one for the son, should he want to shoot CO. Home Depot & Glock parts fit here and there if you must..........