Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HS6 for 9 major

tomv

I'm developing a 9 major load for my STI DVC Open gun. Looks like 8.5 gr of HS6 under a 124 gr Precision Delta JHP, CCI spp and 1.165 COAL  gets me 171+ PF. A local shooter warned me about using HS6 because of excessive heating of the gun. He has switched to Autocomp for his 9 major loads because of this.

Is this a valid concern?

I shot HS-6 under 124 gr MG JHP for years without problems.  I tried to keep it right at 170 PF.

I switched to N-350 based on gunsmith recommendation and cleaner shooting otherwise I would still be  using it.

I still have several pounds of HS-6 and would not hesitate to use it.

I'm running it with no issues.  I am using 8.0gr under a 124gr PD RN using a CCI SP Magnum at 1.165".  Making 172PF out of a Tanfo V-12 barrel.  I'm surprised you'd be at 8.5gr for a barrel with no holes.

I am going to experiment with Autocomp, AA#7 and CFE Pistol this winter.  Not because I don't like HS-6 but just because.

33 minutes ago, tomv said:

I'm developing a 9 major load for my STI DVC Open gun. Looks like 8.5 gr of HS6 under a 124 gr Precision Delta JHP, CCI spp and 1.165 COAL  gets me 171+ PF. A local shooter warned me about using HS6 because of excessive heating of the gun. He has switched to Autocomp for his 9 major loads because of this.

Is this a valid concern?

Tell your buddy GTFO lol

i run mine 

115jhp

8.8hs6

176-178pf

1.160oal

58 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

I'm running it with no issues.  I am using 8.0gr under a 124gr PD RN using a CCI SP Magnum at 1.165".  Making 172PF out of a Tanfo V-12 barrel.  I'm surprised you'd be at 8.5gr for a barrel with no holes.

I am going to experiment with Autocomp, AA#7 and CFE Pistol this winter.  Not because I don't like HS-6 but just because.

Yeah I'm also surprised by 8.5 out of a DVC. But also I have had no problems with HS6. 

Im also surprised that it is taking that much for you to make major. I did it with about 7.7 in a 4.25 barrel. No popples. It was right about 170pf for me. As. For excessive heat, i didnt feel that was an issue. Felt pretty normal to me. Ran a couplemof hundred rounds for a practice session and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Good luck with the experiments as well. Out of the powders you mentioned i like aa7 the best. Full case volume with lots of gas for the comp. Autocomp was nice but a bit snappy. Hear it is better in full sized open.

I used to run 8.5 in my old STI (with 2 popples and MG 124) to get 170 but in my newer guns with KKM barrels (5" and no popples), I'm using 8.1 to get 170. All loaded to 1.170. I have probably put 50K+ through my guns of HS6 and never had an issue. It's a little dirty but it feels the best of all the powders I have tried (VV, WAC, Silhouette, True Blue, and a few others) and it is stable in all temps. WAC was a decent load but felt "violent" to me and didn't like it as much as HS6. I haven't observed any difference in heat or other issues with HS6 compared with other powders through the years.

3 hours ago, CamboSoup22 said:

Im also surprised that it is taking that much for you to make major. I did it with about 7.7 in a 4.25 barrel. No popples. It was right about 170pf for me. As. For excessive heat, i didnt feel that was an issue. Felt pretty normal to me. Ran a couplemof hundred rounds for a practice session and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Good luck with the experiments as well. Out of the powders you mentioned i like aa7 the best. Full case volume with lots of gas for the comp. Autocomp was nice but a bit snappy. Hear it is better in full sized open.

Never a problem with HS6

18 minutes ago, tomv said:

I did the chrono testing for this load when the outside temperature was 38 to 40 degrees F. Could that have affected the velocity I got?

I doubt it. I chrono'ed mine in the 40's up to the 90's and it was always +/- 2 PF. Some barrels are just slow so that may be it. My old STI Trubor (I think T2) was that way. My load was like your load...8.5gr with a MG 124 resulting in an ~170 PF. I shot in the East Coast, mid-West, and West Coast (Utah and Nevada) and again, HS6 was very consistent and I never failed chrono.

I did the chrono testing for this load when the outside temperature was 38 to 40 degrees F. Could that have affected the velocity I got?

I shoot 7.7gr Hs6 under a 124gr Everglades bullet with about a 170 PF out of a DVC Open. Used the crono a few days ago to get those numbers and it was about 30-32 degrees out, for what it's worth.

Ran HS6 for awhile. 8.0gr under a PD 124 JHP at 1.165" for 170pf.  I have tried WAC, HS6, and Silhouette.  When loaded to the same PF they all feel about the same.  HS6 might be a tad softer but the dot wiggles.  WAC and Silhouette run cleaner and the dot goes straight up and down.

7.0gr WAC = 7.5gr Silhouette = 8.0gr HS6

Seems very likely that your barrel is on the slower side.

If so, it's no problem, but illustrates why you should always work up loads in your gun.

I have an STI Trubor barrel (no popple holes) in one of my guns that takes .8grain more to make the same PF as my KKM barrel with 3 popple holes.

It takes 8.8 grains of HS-6 to get a MG 124 JHP @1.165 OAL to 172 PF in that gun.

KKM barrel will do that same PF with only 8.0 grains HS-6.

3 hours ago, racer-x said:

Seems very likely that your barrel is on the slower side.

If so, it's no problem, but illustrates why you should always work up loads in your gun.

I have an STI Trubor barrel (no popple holes) in one of my guns that takes .8grain more to make the same PF as my KKM barrel with 3 popple holes.

It takes 8.8 grains of HS-6 to get a MG 124 JHP @1.165 OAL to 172 PF in that gun.

KKM barrel will do that same PF with only 8.0 grains HS-6.

It seems like there is quite an advantage to "faster" barrels like your KKM...  You can use less powder (smaller bang) and get a higher powerfactor.

Why don't all barrel makers design/create faster barrels?

I assume the faster barrels use straighter rifling (less spin) to generate the faster speeds...  Does that result in less accuracy?

. I didnt mean it was a bad thing that you were using that much of hs6. It is just different from the circle of shooters that im around. Most of tthe people i know are using schuemann barrels. I assume you have checked for signs of overpressure as well. If theres nothing there than happy shooting. I believe racer-x stated very well the whats going on. Differences in barrel is most likely the culprit. I guess for another data point for the group, my schuemann ultimatch at 4.25 with no popples produces about the same numbers as stickman301 with about 0.2grns less of each powder.

23 hours ago, tomv said:

Is this a valid concern?

Addressing your initial concerns on HS-6 and excessive heating, that is not my experience at all. I've had no signs that HS-6 burns any hotter than anything else in 9major loadings. 

The only popular Open major powder that I've used that IS noticeably hotter burning is VV 3N37, but not to a fault. Just need to let your gun cool off more during summer practice sessions (I don't recommend 3N37 for 9 major either).

HS-6 is a great choice for 9Major. It's a close 2nd choice behind AA#7 in my book.

My advice is to try working up a load with 115's and HS-6 or AA#7.

Lighter bullets=more powder=more gas to work the comp effectively. 

The load I like best is 10.6grains AA#7 under a MG 115 JHP @ 1.165 OAL. This is around 1500fps in my guns and shoots very flat and predictable.

Close second for me is 8.6grains HS-6 under a MG 115 JHP @ 1.165 OAL and 1500fps as well.

Racer-x, you wouldnt happen to try aa7 with a 124 did you? Im looking to experiment with 115 and aa7 as well. Ive done this with 124 and would like to interpolate a starting point based off the differences of our barrels. I currently use 9.5 for a 124 to get about 1380fps.

Edited by CamboSoup22

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, Ishoot2 said:

Any load data with HS6 using bayou bullets. Thanks 

Start at 7.6 with a 124/5

I use the RN loaded to 1.150 cause that's where the gun likes it

I run about 7.8-9grs cause that's where the dot likes it

At 7.8 it's 173-175 PF with the Bayou 124 RN