Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA/CZ Mid Range models for Production?

JLB-US

I've been shooting nothing but Glocks in USPSA since day one, I have to carry them at work, so I felt kind of obligated to stick to the same system. I would however like to at least make a run with a Steel frame TDA pistol next year just to shake things up, and maybe increase my enthusiasm for practice (ok and maybe I want to play Ben Stoeger just a bit..)

I know the CZ Shadow II and Tanfoglio Stock 2 are kind of the "it" pistols on the top rung, would prefer to spend a bit less as it's just an experiment, but still get something good enough for a fair shot for the system, and maybe be a good backup gun if I go full in later. Both brands however have TONS of models, options, trigger types, even frame sizes etc.. I'm not familiar with. Gun stores around here just don't carry much except standard CZ-75's for some reason, so kinda hard for me to compare. I want a steel frame, traditional double action, and the ability add a fiber optic front. Other than that I'm pretty open.

Thoughts???

My recommendation is to look for a used CZ SP-01 Shadow.  While a new one is probably not in what you refer to as "mid-range", a used one has come down recently, and I think is just about a perfect fit for USPSA Production.  

On gunbroker, you can find used tanfos. Get one for 400-ish and polish the innerds follow @MemphisMechanic 4 part video   guide.  then change to every patriot defense spring . Start with 15.5 hammer spring and creep down as you repeat polishing and gain comfort with your ammo.  you can be gunning it hard for under 500 that way.

Like cz, the throat of the barrel probably will need cutting. Patriot does that quick and cheap.

If you want a super great trigger, add titan hammer, bolo disconnector, 1 piece sear and PD firing pin. But that will add 200ish to the total. 

A pair of PD palm swell grips, henning or LOK g10 will really help too.