Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Accountant - To be the "Paper M" and get ready for Thailand 2020

Magictalent

This is Jim Tan from Canada. I love IPSC/USPSA. I have been shooting matches for one year and seven months now. One year and ten months from the day I first shot a handgun.

Now, I make up my mind and know I love this sport so much that I want to be the "Paper M".

I want to prepare myself for world shoot 2020. In year 2018 to 2020 shooting season, I will focus on open division.

I registered my USPSA membership, and will shoot some USPSA matches in US next year. So I can practice real open division shooting, not the "Open 10" division in Canada. haha!

I will update my daily training info and video here, so to push myself to keep up the work and get better.

Edited by Magictalent

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jack.

Yes, I am form Winnipeg! That is one of the reason I want to make it to the "Top 100", because I have world level shooter at my local club!!!I

It is going to be a long journey. I am expecting 6 to 9 years to get there.

I shot CZ CZ TSO last match, and make 2nd. 97%. 63% overall.

I am going to shoot open division next match. I have a CZ Czechmate in 9 major and a SPS in 38 Super.

I am going to shoot USPSA at Fargo-Moorhead Practical Shooting Association. It is a 4 hours drive one way trip. I hope I can go down once a month.

Edited by Magictalent

5 hours ago, Rooivalk said:

Jim,

I am going to sign up for USPSA and do the Fargo USPSA as well in 2018.

Its just down the road from Winterpeg saves paying for flights.

Rooivalk

Are you in Winnipeg? We have a USPSA club in Winnipeg, well, only 10 round mags. 

You got Form 6 and invitation? We may able to get 4 people go on the same car.

Save some on travel expenses. Plus make the 4 hours drive a little easier. 

Edited by Magictalent

7 minutes ago, Magictalent said:

Are you in Winnipeg? We have a USPSA club in Winnipeg, well, only 10 round mags. 

You got Form 6 and invitation? We may able to get 4 people go on the same car.

Save some on travel expenses. Plus make the 4 hours drive a little easier. 

Yes 

I know, still have to sign up for USPSA

No form 6 will apply soon

Sounds like a plan to travel together save costs

See Dec 10 IPSC shoot , we can talk then

Nov 28 2017

Shot my first USPSA classifier match.

CM 09-09 HF 82         Class Pct 91.11%

CM 09-01 HF 85         Class Pct 70.83%

CM 13-08 HF 5.385    Class Pct 43.33%

CM 13-01 HF 3.019    Class Pct 26.82%

Mix result. The faster I try to go, the worse result I got.

Time to get back to the drawing board and see what I am doing wrong.

Classifier is a stage, so treat it like a stage and come up with a detail stage plan...........

Yesterday, when I am ready to dry fire, I found out that the optic mount is moving.

I will need to get some loctite to make sure it will not move next time.

Learn something.

Reload and transition speed is where I am losing time to better shooters.

Accuracy is not in the topic yet. I know if I slow down and wait for the dot to stop, I can get all A. But I can't win that way.

I need to get the time of what the top shooter shoot. 

I will also work on 2 more areas and hope that will give me more A.

Improve grip, so dot move less, and more consistent movements.

Work on arm and body core, so I can have consistent movement to move the dot into and out of the "point on target" my eyes are focusing on.

Edited by Magictalent

Sun day, a slower day. Loaded some 9 MM major and 38 SC ammo.

Experimenting which platform is going to help me more.

CZ is much more reliable, an really no need any extra work. But there are more people use 2011.

Dry fired "Can you count" set 3.5 par time per string. It is not easy when I do not have a very good reload established.

Will need to keep working on it and get it down to 2.8 per string dry fire. (0.8 draw, 1.0 reload, 0.12 split)

Live fire need to be at 3.1 per string.

gun testing at night.

Both Czechmate and SPS Vista Long get sighted in. Both pass function test.

Next is get use to both guns. Do some load development before summer come.

Edited by Magictalent

Level I match last night.

7 stages, shoots 2nd overall. 84% of the Canadian Champ. (He is shooting for fun and not really competing though)

I am still learning the gun. It recoil differently compare with my 40 S&W TSO. It also have more weight at the front. Without a long stick full of ammo, the gun is kind of out of balance. (Or I should say this is the new balance.) Maybe it can get better feel when I am shooting USPSA in US.

I can see my improvement on shooting on the move. Now I can match my steps with shooting opportunities.

What I am not doing enough is grip the gun hard. When shooting fast transition array I got high miss. Need to put some time to work on grip strength and also keep relax arms.

Level II match at Dec 10. I will see how I perform.

image.png.54c95caf6cfcecd48f293ac4137b2c5e.png

First IPSC Level II match is completed last Sunday. Lots of fun.

I end up getting 3rd overall open division.

My hit is at par with top shooters, but my time is 22 seconds more in total time.

22 seconds in out game is like forever.

I know my reload is way slower than top shooters. My setup shooting is not at par. And my split and transition is 0.08 more per shot.

I need to close the gap in these areas before we head to summer outdoor season where foot work is going to play a more important role. 

image.png.38ac46284b56d1d607ad2284e74960c8.png

Edited by Magictalent

On 12/7/2017 at 9:15 AM, Magictalent said:

Level I match last night.

7 stages, shoots 2nd overall. 84% of the Canadian Champ. (He is shooting for fun and not really competing though)

I am still learning the gun. It recoil differently compare with my 40 S&W TSO. It also have more weight at the front. Without a long stick full of ammo, the gun is kind of out of balance. (Or I should say this is the new balance.) Maybe it can get better feel when I am shooting USPSA in US.

I can see my improvement on shooting on the move. Now I can match my steps with shooting opportunities.

What I am not doing enough is grip the gun hard. When shooting fast transition array I got high miss. Need to put some time to work on grip strength and also keep relax arms.

Level II match at Dec 10. I will see how I perform.

image.png.54c95caf6cfcecd48f293ac4137b2c5e.png

You seem to have the same issue that I have.  Top 1/3 of standings (and occasional stage wins) then a stage where a MIKE or NS/MIKE pair ruins things.  I don't have any words of wisdom, just pointing out that eliminating misses and no-shoots will make the most improvements in MY performance and apparently in yours too. I play the "math game" with my scores to see where I would have placed.  Trade your Mikes for Charlies and add a 1/2 second for each and see where you would have placed.  It shows that taking a hair longer to aim or steady the gun and get the hits is nearly always worth it.  Obviously,  getting the hits and not taking the time is better !!  lol.

Good luck in getting your M !

4 hours ago, johnbu said:

You seem to have the same issue that I have.  Top 1/3 of standings (and occasional stage wins) then a stage where a MIKE or NS/MIKE pair ruins things.  I don't have any words of wisdom, just pointing out that eliminating misses and no-shoots will make the most improvements in MY performance and apparently in yours too. I play the "math game" with my scores to see where I would have placed.  Trade your Mikes for Charlies and add a 1/2 second for each and see where you would have placed.  It shows that taking a hair longer to aim or steady the gun and get the hits is nearly always worth it.  Obviously,  getting the hits and not taking the time is better !!  lol.

Good luck in getting your M !

Thanks. I am still very new with Open. With the open gun, I easily go faster than I can handle it.