Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Put only full mags on your belt dummy

Tompac

I did it...........beep, good draw 2 alpha 2 alpha 2 alpha, move to next position 2 alpha 2 alpha, load on the move to the last position, 2 alpha and..........slide lock. Standing reload 1 alpha 1 Charlie................lesson learned

Sort of tangental to this--I've gotten into the habit of cleaning, reloading, and replacing my mags (back on my belt) right after I shoot; Barney rounds in my pocket, etc.  It may sound obvious to some, but I used to let myself get distracted talking to people after my run, then before I knew it, I was on deck trying to rehearse my stage plan with half-empty mags.

less than full mags (ie used mags) never go back in my mag pouches, generally i put them in my back pocket.  unused/full mags go in a side pocket on my range bag and used mags get dumped in the big middle section until i top them off (and brush them out if necessary).

I've always just put partial mags back on my belt. But then again, I walk right back to my bag, reload mags, and leave them there. I don't carry around the mags until I'm a couple shooters away on the next stage. As long as you stick to a process, whatever that process might be, you should be fine. It's when you deviate or get distracted...

That is nuthin. 

Level 2 match & I was shooting better than normal and looking to make my goal (top half of B class). 

There was a break while we fixed something (staff day) and I took mags off my belt but left the 11 rounder in my front pocket.

Did not remember to put mags back on my belt . . . . .

Who was the professional shooter who talked with a journalist (local news or whatever) and then did the same thing? 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

53 minutes ago, TrackCage said:

I've always just put partial mags back on my belt. But then again, I walk right back to my bag, reload mags, and leave them there. I don't carry around the mags until I'm a couple shooters away on the next stage. As long as you stick to a process, whatever that process might be, you should be fine. It's when you deviate or get distracted...

This is what I do. Once I shoot I go back and fully load all mags, double check them, then leave in bag until I am on deck. Then I check them again when putting them on belt.

Having S.O.'d  and been a match director at a major match for 5 years, I have seen this happen quite a lot. One time a really good and serious shooter did not have any mags in his mag pouch. Shot to slide lock and went to reload, no mags. This is IDPA so the SO' wouldn't normally notice either. I've seen shooters have partially full mags also. Normally my version of this is at our Wednesday night practice sessions. I hate the paddle type holster adapter I have for my competition holster. On Wednesday nights I take my EDC gun out of my concealment holster, put the competition holster and mag carrier on my belt, holster the gun and drive to the practice session. Invariably when it's my turn to shoot I get to the line and realize I didn't put any mags in the carrier. I usually catch it but have to run back to my bag to get the mags.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It shouldn't take a messed up stage or match to finally start placing used mags in a pocket to be filled before placing back in pouches.  Right after you're done shooting, it is expected that the last shooter would go off to the side to mess with mags...perfect opportunity.