Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How flat double tap?

Broncman

Working on a load for my first open gun. 9Major with a Brazos Thundercomp SX2 Trubore. 124 Berry's Hollow Base Thick Plate with 8.2 grains HS-6. Gun has the Dawson CMore Mount and a thumbrest.

8lb variable Wolf spring.

Went to the range with a few mags and did double taps with very little pause between each. I noticed my weak hand grip and thumb pressure played a big part in dot tracking. 

I  got to the point dot was pretty much vertical and never left the lens.

What is a good grouping for an open gun? Going tomorrow to try 3n38

IMG_20171120_105439085_HDR-600x1067.jpg

That was at about 15 yards. Shot my CO gun for comparison. Same double taps for about as fast as I could. I have the cadence down pat on the CO. The dot leaves the glass and as soon as it reappears on the A Zone, pull the trigger again . The open gun , the dot is basically drawing a straight up and down line.

How flat should you be able to shoot a good Open Pistol?

Target from my CO pistol.

IMG_20171120_110503964_HDR-600x1067.jpg

fast splits "double taps" requires you to decide to shoot before the dot (or sights) return from recoil, basically anything under about a .2 split and the second trigger pull was mentally initiated before the first shot broke. So for any new gun there will be a bit of a learning curve as you learn how it tracks and when it will return and be ready to fire your second shot at the same place you fired your first.

fun fact, at high level track meets the starting blocks have pressure sensors in them, if a runner runner pushes on the block to start running before .1 second AFTER the gun they will be DQed for a false start, that's right is says .1 after, because you cant react that fast so you were not responding to the gun you had decided to go before the gun.

Get double tap out of your brain, first and foremost.

The only groups (un-timed bulls-eye style) in which you should be interested are at approx. 10 yards, 25 yards, and for the knowledge, 40 or 50 yards.  When and where the shot hits is all on you. It sounds like you've got the dot tracking how you want but the rest is going to come down to your behavior.

Learn the gun, the grip, and the timing.

If you're asking about "groups" in relation to the slide dipping when it closes, then you need high speed video. However, with an 8lb spring, I doubt that's an issue.

Edited by SCTaylor