Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 California State Steel Challenge Championships, 12/9/17

The 2017 Steel Challenge California State Championship is on!!! The steel range at California Tactical Academy in Piru CA will host an SCSA sanctioned Level II State Championship match on December 9, 2017. All categories (Open, Limited, PCC, Rimfire, etc.) are welcome, and category winners will be recognized with plaques and/or trophies. This is the first SCSA State Championship in California in several years, so come out and have some fun!

UPDATE: There will be a (very) small prize table awarded by random draw. Plaques will be awarded to division winners, as well as to category winners if the category has 5 or more entries. A second gun may be shot on Saturday after competition with the first gun is completed (i.e., only one gun at a time). A third and fourth gun may be shot on Sunday ONLY with prior permission of the Match Director (PM me for his contact info) if the shooter competes with two guns on Saturday. This year the entry fee will be the standard monthly match fee, paid as usual to CTA either online prior to the event or at the entry to the range.

13 hours ago, sguenther said:

I just called them. They told me that I have to be a member to use that range. How do you know about the day use pass? Thanks for the info

Hmmmm.   Well if that’s what they’re saying then I guess I can’t argue that, but let me communicate with the MD who deals with the management.  If he can get some arrangements made I’ll post it here.  

On 12/1/2017 at 8:47 AM, sguenther said:

I just called them. They told me that I have to be a member to use that range. How do you know about the day use pass? Thanks for the info

The Match Director would like you to call him on his cell for further information.  I'll PM you with his number.  If anybody else would like info from him on day passes, send me a PM.  Thanks, J

Per the Match Director, due to the fires burning in Southern California and concerns for shooter health and safety, the 2017 California state championship at the CTA range in Piru CA is being postponed. A new date will be announced soon.  If conditions permit, the regular CTA steel match will take place on the 16th but it will NOT be the Level 2 championship match but rather a regular monthly match.  Please help to get the word out if you know anybody who was planning to attend this weekend.  Thanks, J

Postponing the match is the best thing to do for the safety, health & well being of all concerned. The situation in SoCal is VERY dire and there is absolutely NO reason to take any unnecessary risks.

Positive thoughts go out to all those affected by the fires.

• 1 month later...

I recently spoke with the championship's Match Director Mike Setting, and at this point the plan is for the California State Championships to annually occur in Piru at the end of June, with the next championship occurring June 27th-30th, 2018.  Between the clash of holidays, continuing weather issues, and range availability, the best choice was to reschedule the match to the regularly occurring date in June rather than try to squeeze something in so close to the upcoming June date.  A club-specific FaceBook page and other means of announcing it well ahead of time will be in place then, as well as a legit prize table.  If you have any questions, shoot them my way, and I'll do my best to help out as best I can.  Thanks, John