Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17 with comp vs G34 with comp

Littlegator

Im building an uspsa open glock and am trying to pick between a 17 and 34. Im shooting production and have no experience with compensators, or shooting major PF 

So more powder=more gas=better function of the comp.  So we load slower burning powders, for more volume of gas. The longer the barrel the more complete burring of the powered so we are able to utilize "all" of the powder which gives a higher velocity. however if its burning too fast/not enough powder we peek before the bullet exits due to lack of available gas

Sooo my question is, should i stick with the 17 to work the comp better? Or can i get velocity AND still fullly use the comp with the longer barrel. 

If the latter is true, how much diffrent(if at all) is the loads i will be needing to make? Or am i just over thinking the whole thing? 

Edited by Littlegator

I should preface this input with the disclaimer that I have never shot a G34, nor G17 Open gun, my experience is with CZ, Tanfoglio, and 2011.  That being said, I like you're thinking; a longer barrel puts the comp further from your wrist, creating a longer lever for the gasses to push down, keeping the pistol flat.  Although I don't have a model to qualify the difference in force provided by higher pressure gas exiting a shorter barrel, it makes sense to me that would be an equalizing factor.  The larger question is your preference on the length of the gun, there are downsides to transitioning a longer gun, otherwise we would see 7" or 8" Limited guns, there are even top Limited shooters who prefer a 5" gun to a 6" gun.

To experiment with a long Open gun, I built a TS-based CZ with a 5.6" barrel:

21014113_1802496816431909_5685231365559485081_o.thumb.jpg.98d9a41c32dc29e2d0364158e516935d.jpg

To mitigate the longer length I took as much weight from the nose as possible.  The result is very nice, but I'm not sure it shoots any flatter than my 4.75" barreled gun with the same comp design.

I've built Open guns with barrels as short as 4.1" which also shoot pretty well, albeit more violently.

Wow, i didnt even think about the fulcrum aspects of it! I was mostly fixated on the whole fps/loss of usable gas. *opens whole new can of worms* 

As far as transitions go, im one of them guys everyone says is holding it wrong becuase i finger the front of the trigger guard. So a bit extra on the end isnt too bad in my own experience simply due to my holding the gun farther out "shortens" the gun

I've had 17, 34, and 17L length glocks with a comp.  it's going to just be personal preference on how they feel. As far as loads go there was Not a whole lot of difference between the lengths.  Keep in mind what compensator you are planning on using as well a 17 with an 11 port won't be much shorter than a 34 with a short comp.

I started out with an open glock, i had both platforms a 17 and a 34.  I ended up going with the 17.  Are you planning on shooting major PF with it?  I did make the switch after a few months to 2011's and haven't looked back.  I ran minor in mine until I got serious into the sport, major definitely does have a lot more kick coming from the polymer platform.