Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10/22 Cleaning Frequency

RickT

Wife has starting shooting a Kidd 10/22 in steel challenge.  This is and easy gun to maintain and I'm just leaning the ins and outs of 22lr ammo versus our competition 9mm 1911s.  Of course the interweb has such nuggets as "I haven't cleaned my 10/22 in 20 years" or "I haven't cleaned my 10/22 mags in 20 years".  We practice 2x/week which is probably 600 rounds/week through the rifle.  How many rounds between a detailed strip which I would characterize as removing the bolt?  I've already cleaned the mags and they really need it so another 20 year maintenance cycled debugged.  I have started using a dry lube on the gun.

Rick

22s news to be cleaned often. Chamber and breech face are the key areas. 

I use an oversize brush for chamber - a .25 caliber rifle brush. Just clean out the chamber with a few twists of the brush and oil. 

Bolt face and ejector need to clean. Brush off with stuff nylon brush. Oil to keep the crud soft. 

Pull the bolt every 500-1000 rounds, as you prefer. Clean with non-chlorinated brake cleaner spray. Oil and replace. 

I rarely clean 22 barrels. When I do, I use a nylon bore brush. 

Magazines get a spray with compressed air after sonic cleaning. 10-22 magazines aren't all that trivial to assemble, so I avoid it. 

YMMv. I don't have a kidd rifle, just a wal mart 10-22 with a little home tinkering. 

I do mine about every 500-600 rounds, or before a big match.  If you're using a comp, it's very important to keep an eye on that, or the lead buildup can start to impinge and scrape your rounds as they exit the gun-- I scrape my comp after every use.  Kidd makes their barrels with a very tight bore, which I think contributes to their guns spitting a bit more lead out the front, so the comp can get away from you quickly if you don't pay attention to it.  Overall, I've found my Kidd to be very forgiving in all respects from cleaning (or lack thereof) to ammo choice.  

I️ clean rifle (chamber and bolt face)500-600 rounds and pull it apart before a match and clean the bolt and receiver,, however I️ never practice with comp on it just too much of a hassle to clean after practice,, hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

I've noticed on my wife's Kidd 10/22 that CCI SV ammo is extremely clean running.  I wipe down and use Rem Dry Lube with an occasional bore snake of the barrel.

18 hours ago, RickT said:

I've noticed on my wife's Kidd 10/22 that CCI SV ammo is extremely clean running.  I wipe down and use Rem Dry Lube with an occasional bore snake of the barrel.

CCI SV has been very clean and consistent for me. It was the suggested Ammo for aspiring bullseye shooters who didn’t want to buy the European super fodder. 

• 2 months later...

I've been lubing my two mildly modified 10/22's with Hornady's "One Shot" cleaner and dry lube and it has greatly increased their reliability.  Lubed with even thin gun oil like Break Free's CLP,  the guns would stovepipe occasionally even with CCCI Mini-Mags.  With the Hornady they run very nearly 100%. 

On 6/29/2018 at 7:33 PM, Adamj said:

Now that I use CCI SV almost exclusively I need to clean mine far less frequently. It gets cleaned every 500 or so rounds. 

I agree that CCI Standard Velocity is a great way to go, but if you stay up on your cleaning regime then even the infamous Remington Golden Bullet does the job.  Like mom used to say:  life is better if you clean your room after you’re done playing.  

All my 10/22's are over 25 years old and rarely shot.  When folks say they clean the chamber with brushes, how do they get to them?  Are you pulling the barrel on each detailed clean?

Or have they modified the 10/22 in some way to allow easier cleaning?

Thanks.

I’ve heard of s modification that a few places do  with a hole in the back of the receiver for cleaning through but I’ve never owned or seen it in the flesh.  I don’t kill myself getting them super clean, but I sometimes use a solvent soaked brush spun in a hand drill, which I do with all my guns.  See something like the brush I’ll link below on Anazon.  Clip the ring off the end, and pinch it in a hand drill.  Hold everything in your hands so its free to move.  The shaft is flexible so it gets in the chamber just fine, and note the tip is coated to protect against gouging.   

8 Inch Nylon Tube Brush Set, 12 Piece Variety Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0115SLLLM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1ptoBbA9JFX8C 

9 hours ago, jkrispies said:

.......  sometimes use a solvent soaked brush spun in a hand drill, which I do with all my guns.  See something like the brush I’ll link below on Anazon.  Clip the ring off the end, and pinch it in a hand drill.  Hold everything in your hands so its free to move.  The shaft is flexible so it gets in the chamber just fine, and note the tip is coated to protect against gouging.   

8 Inch Nylon Tube Brush Set, 12 Piece Variety Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0115SLLLM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1ptoBbA9JFX8C 

Good idea.  I can see where those brushes will be helpful on several guns I own.  Thanks.

19 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

All my 10/22's are over 25 years old and rarely shot.  When folks say they clean the chamber with brushes, how do they get to them?  Are you pulling the barrel on each detailed clean?

Or have they modified the 10/22 in some way to allow easier cleaning?

Thanks.

I drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the back of my receiver for breech end cleaning. Easy job. I suspect someone makes a locating jig for the mod. 

The cleaning hole also nicely doubles as bled as a rear hold down if you modify the stock by adding a brass or aluminum stud to fit in the hole. 

• 3 weeks later...