Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My son wants to get started

JGH

My 14 year old son wants to get started in pistol shooting competitions.  I am looking for recommendations in getting him started.  I am thinking about getting the Canik TP9SFX for him to start with in production.  I am looking for input on other options as well as other gear he would need.

I'm just getting started as well, so anyone more experienced please correct anything not totally correct, but the Canik comes with pretty much everything you need to start other than a sturdy belt and mag holsters.

A family member of mine has the Canik and seems to be having a little difficulty finding extra mags (since his only came with 2) at a decent price but your experience may be different.

As I understand, BARE MINIMUM is a sturdy belt, 3+ mags, mag holsters, and safety equipment (eyes and ears) are all that is really necessary.

I would use any of the equipment that you have around and get feedback from your son over the next couple months on what he does/doesn't like. The alternative is to go spend a few hundred dollars on things he may or may not like. 

Hope that helps!

Best thing you can do is take him to a match and talk to some of the other shooters. See what gear they have, what they like or don't like, etc. It can help you avoid buying items only to replace them later.

Alternatively, if you want to skip that step, go over to the ben stoeger pro shop and buy the package he promotes on the homepage. That's exactly what I use for production as well as many others in my local matches.

3 hours ago, HCH said:

Do you have a pistol that will work? If so, the first step you should take is to use it for a few matches, and upgrade from there.

+1.   Don't buy right away - as TrckCge mentioned, get to some matches and do some

observing - try some pistols - see what you like.

Many people will try to save a few hundred dollars on a pistol only to discover that the pistol is only

a small fraction of your total shooting costs - ammo, gear, match fees, travel, etc.  Don't skimp 

on The Most important piece of equipment - the pistol    :) 

If I were you, I’d look at a Glock 34, M&P 9mm 5” or an XD 9mm 5”. If there’s a local range near you, I’d rent one of each and let your son try them out before buying. I think you might find that one of them will fit him better than the others (I love Glocks!). After deciding on a pistol, you’ll probably be able to find a used one if you’re not in too much of a hurry. Then 4 mags and a kydex holster and he’ll be good to go.  Good luck and let us know what he ends up getting. 

Don't be in hurry winter is coming you have time to shop try to shoot everything you can get your hands on and shoot them more than once. There are plenty of deals on here.   Good luck.   The hunt is part of the fun.

On 11/17/2017 at 8:21 PM, dapribek said:

If I were you, I’d look at a Glock 34, M&P 9mm 5” or an XD 9mm 5”. If there’s a local range near you, I’d rent one of each and let your son try them out before buying. I think you might find that one of them will fit him better than the others (I love Glocks!). After deciding on a pistol, you’ll probably be able to find a used one if you’re not in too much of a hurry. Then 4 mags and a kydex holster and he’ll be good to go.  Good luck and let us know what he ends up getting. 

+1. I think this would allow him to find a pistol that he likes and can work easily. Things like reaching the mag release, clearing a jam or malfunction should be easy for him. Plus any of those  3 you should be able to pick up used. 

While I would recommend using what you have for a bit, if you reload and really are looking to buy a new gun, I suggest going with one of the plastic fantastic above in 40.  They are the most versatile guns and allow trial in the most divisions with the least cost and best overall competitiveness.  While they really shine in  a couple divisions, they are pretty good in several others, kinda the 30/06 of uspsa guns.  Also, there is a lot of hate for 40s in the general public right now, so they can many times be had at a lower cost than a comparable gun in 9mm.  Good luck

Sounds like you got a lot good gun recommendations. Only thing I'd add is buy used and put the $100 you save toward ammo or a reloading machine. If your son really likes uspsa, factory ammo costs will add up fast. Also, to be competitive he'll need to do a lot of dry fire practice. Get him either the Anderson or Stoeger book for Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your son is still growing consider a Sig P320. The grip can literally "grow" with him as you can get small, med and large grips without changing anything else on the gun. Despite what you've read about accidental discharges and Sig recalls, most of the new pistols being sold now have been upgraded to eliminate the possibility of NDs.

Edited by bossgvr4

If you decide to go the XD(M) Competition 5.25" route in .40, let me know.  I might know someone selling one that is brand new, never fired.  :-P  LOL!  ;-)

For the right deal, I even have a holster, mag pouches and everything.  He would be ready to rock and roll.  Nothing has been used yet.

(yes, it is posted in the for sale section, but not the holster/mag pouches)