Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After first match training

glocklife34

I’m fairly new shooting competitively and what came into mind is traning or preparation after the first match. I’m just curious what people did after their first match.

After your first match what training did you do to improve in preparation a second match?

That's going to vary, a lot.

First off, welcome to competitive shooting!  Secondly, as a new competitive shooter, the list of things to work on might be pretty much everything.  However, start and focus on the fundamentals.  That would include--safely handling your firearm, sight picture, trigger, grip, stance.

When you've developed enough familiarity with the fundamentals that you can do them without much thought, I'd recommend attending a class.  Having someone experienced observe you will help to quickly identify the big areas for improvement.  Be sure to take detailed notes because you'll be given much more information than you can absorb during the class.  Then, get into a routine of constant practice and analysis.

Good luck!

I'd also suggest getting some match video. It won't help you before your second match, but watching it after each match can help you determine what needs work. Are your reloads slow? Are you taking a ton of time on entry into a position? All kinds of things like this can be seen in the match videos, and then as Jack mentioned, dry fire to fix it. 

I dry fire everyday for an hour and it seems to help me with my fundamentals. I’m still slow but taking my time. And thinking of getting either
Steve Anderson book or Ben stoeger for my dey fire practice.
@djp55 I’ll try to get some videos on my next match as suggested, i figure that would help me alot in determining what i need for training.

2 minutes ago, glocklife34 said:

I dry fire an hour a day 

I "practiced" shooting for 40 years  -  all wrong.

If I were to start dry firing, I'd start by buying one of those books, and dry fire correctly.

How did you do in your first match?   How was the points and the time compared to some C shooters ?