Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA Open Gun

HCH

Has anyone built an Open gun on a RIA widebody frame? It would seem as though one could buy a 9mm pistol, drill the frame for a scope mount, install a comp/barrel, and have a decent open gun for very little money.

I've seen it done but the idea of shooting 9mm major out of an RIA frame gun worries me as I've seen the way a lot of RIA's loosen dramatically after just a few thousand rounds.

Not meaning to insult anyone shooting a RIA just that I think the metallurgy isn't quite there, I wouldn't be surprised to see peening or deformation on areas of the slide and frame.

• 2 months later...

Ask and ye shall receive:

Watch until the end for a good detail picture. Video/comments do not make it clear if this is a pre-production prototype or a one-off custom just for John. It does specify the pistol is built for minor PF

Edited by Rudukai13

The Ultra Match frame (no pic rail) seems like a great start for that project but only offered in 40 currently.  Too much smithing or a new top end takes the “cheap” out of the project.  Watching the video they are using a railed “tac” frame.  A new barrel and comp plus optics on the UM frame might get you in the game under 2k but a used gun could get you there too.  Looking at some of Kneeling Atlas’ projects on Tanfoglios, you could probably tap the barrel by hand for the ultimate cheap build.

I have two RIA and I love them ( actually 3 with a SS trade) so I am speaking with favor, but just mentioning $.

The video is credited to Arnel who is Armscor’s Master Gunsmith.  I have read a few reviews of his work on 1911.com years ago.  I also noticed MBX mags which have made RIA more competitive ( as have Taylor Freelance mag extensions for mec gar mags).

Edited by dogtired

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just finished mine up. Kkm barrel binary engineering comp bushnell advance dot. Around 1500 rounds. The gun appears plenty stout and I am really loving it. 8cfb98eb7eb7c8cb7969ab08df11ca86.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, eern said:

Just finished mine up. Kkm barrel binary engineering comp bushnell advance dot. Around 1500 rounds. The gun appears plenty stout and I am really loving it. 8cfb98eb7eb7c8cb7969ab08df11ca86.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks pretty sweet. How much do you have into it if you don’t mind me asking .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Prasky Gunworks has build a few of them on railed frames. All frame mount optics. One we used a KKM Hybrid barrel on. Biggest issue is mags. We cut every single one to use 2011 mags amd use aftec extractors exclusively on them. Only way we have found to get 100% reliability with them.