Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone tried the new CMMG Guard

I shot my rifle with the guard bolt and barrel today.  I was stuffed with turkey, so I am not calling this my best work.  All groups are 5 shots and were shot at 25 yards with a very primative bench.  The top group is Montana gold 124 grain round nose.  Second is 115 grain Kings shooters supply purple coated bullets. Third group is 124 grain Kings coated bullets. All loads are 140 ish power factor.

RenderedContent-A648322E-3537-47B5-BF34-B19E10AF9311.JPG

RenderedContent-6F5B2EEB-A572-41D3-8F7A-1885327F19E4.JPG

RenderedContent-48B38D7E-A0FB-4B38-9A13-03521A58E39D.JPG

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Spartan Lower (I think it's an NFA clone) and am wondering if it will work with the upper?

I'm trying to save some money, both on total cost and WA Excise tax (uppers do not have to go to FFA).

I could:

1) Just get an upper and try it with my lower (least expensive). I am worried about over insertion...

2) Get the upper and then order only a lower receiver and transfer my hiperfire, stock, etc.

3) Order upper and lower seperately (most expensive)

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Allen

2 hours ago, TGibe said:

I have a Spartan Lower (I think it's an NFA clone) and am wondering if it will work with the upper?

I'm trying to save some money, both on total cost and WA Excise tax (uppers do not have to go to FFA).

I could:

1) Just get an upper and try it with my lower (least expensive). I am worried about over insertion...

2) Get the upper and then order only a lower receiver and transfer my hiperfire, stock, etc.

3) Order upper and lower seperately (most expensive)

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Allen

Looking at my NFA lower, it looks like it might be possible to utilize the slot were the ejector rides to make a shelf that would drop in.  You can't have the ejector in the lower with the guard system anyways.  I am going to work on this.  QC10 utilizes something similar to this in their lowers.

Edited by bmiller
59 minutes ago, L9X25 said:

4) Move away from Washington 

Yeah, that's always good advice, run away from your problem. Which is great if you're a hermit with no family, friends or career until enough other idiots running away from their problems bring the same crap with them you're trying to get away from.  Ask anybody in Oregon or Washington.

5 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Ok, I just printed version 1.0.  I need to change a couple things, but there is a good chance a piece can be added to the ejector slot that will work as a mag stop.

Patent it before CMMG does.  :)  (Then you can donate all your profits to an attorney.)

Are you going to lock it in place with the set screws from the ejector?

3 hours ago, bmiller said:

Ok, I just printed version 1.0.  I need to change a couple things, but there is a good chance a piece can be added to the ejector slot that will work as a mag stop.

Awesome. Can’t wait to see it. 

Cheers,

Allen

1 hour ago, bmiller said:

Cut my upper, tried the printed prototype.  It seems to work great, and is less fussy about various mags than the QC10 lower.  I just finished machining the prototype out of 6061.  I will be posting a video of it at some point shortly.

Great work Brian. If I purchased a complete upper from them I imagine I wouldn’t have to make the cut to the upper you mention? 

Looking forward to the video. 

If you are putting the upper on a NFA style lower, you would have to make the cut if you wanted to use the mag stop as designed.  You could file off the tab and it would probably work fine.  I wanted a little extra strength in the design, I tend to smash the mags in when I am under the clock.

57 minutes ago, bmiller said:

If you are putting the upper on a NFA style lower, you would have to make the cut if you wanted to use the mag stop as designed.  You could file off the tab and it would probably work fine.  I wanted a little extra strength in the design, I tend to smash the mags in when I am under the clock.

What if it is a complete CMMG upper?

3 hours ago, bmiller said:

If you do not have LRBHO and always load to a closed bolt, is your mag stop still needed?