Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone tried the new CMMG Guard

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received my bolt and barrel.  Threw it together and shot it.

The great:  Recoil is crazy light, .22 ish.  I don't have one to compare side by side, I would guess it is softer than a mpx.

The Good:  My last round bolt hold open worked flawlessly with my QC10 lower. It doesn't do that configured as a blowback.

The not so great:  It is possible to over-insert the mag with the bolt locked back.

I think this could be solved removing a little material for clearance on the back of the mag.  The lower two locking lugs are hitting on some mags.

There is a large spring between the bolt and bolt carrier, I am guessing if this breaks, the gun stops functioning.  

All in all, this has a tremendous amount of potential!  

Edited by bmiller
8 minutes ago, bmiller said:

The great:  Recoil is crazy light, .22 ish.  I don't have one to compare side by side, I would guess it is softer than a mpx.

The Good:  My last round bolt hold open worked flawlessly with my QC10 lower. It doesn't do that configured as a blowback.

The not so great:  It is possible to over-insert the mag with the bolt locked back.

I think this could be solved removing a little material for clearance on the back of the mag.  The lower two locking lugs are hitting on some mags.

There is a large spring between the bolt and bolt carrier, I am guessing if this breaks, the gun stops functioning.  

Hmmm... very interested now. Thanks for the update!

Well, I ordered my carbine and 2 days later (Friday) my FFL called to pick it up.  I can only compare it to Colt SMG PCC types, as those are the only PCCs that I have built/shot.

Took it apart.  Weight of carbine w/ 16" barrel is 6lb, 1 oz. with no mag or sights.  The buffer is 3.25" long and weighs 2.93 oz.  There is no feed ramp as such.  The barrel/bolt looks like they modified an M4.  You can see the M4 type of feed ramps and the center lug between them has been releaved.  The BCG weight 11.78 oz.  Combined BCG and buffer weight is 14.71 oz., pretty light.

2 minutes ago, BartCarter said:

Well, I ordered my carbine and 2 days later (Friday) my FFL called to pick it up.  I can only compare it to Colt SMG PCC types, as those are the only PCCs that I have built/shot.

Took it apart.  Weight of carbine w/ 16" barrel is 6lb, 1 oz. with no mag or sights.  The buffer is 3.25" long and weighs 2.93 oz.  There is no feed ramp as such.  The barrel/bolt looks like they modified an M4.  You can see the M4 type of feed ramps and the center lug between them has been releaved.  The BCG weight 11.78 oz.  Combined BCG and buffer weight is 14.71 oz., pretty light.

This is the way I am looking to order.... Did you order with MilSpec trigger and if so are you planning to change it? I have a hyperfire 24 3G that I would like to drop in and am curious about fit although I know it should fit fine.

Thx

Ordered the most basic gun because I wanted to change out to my preferences as to trigger, stock, etc.

So, it has been so long that I have shot a mil-spec trigger that I was looking for something awful.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Feels about 5-6 lbs, fairly smooth, not a bad reset and just a little slack.  I will measure trigger pull weight when I have a chance.

18 minutes ago, BartCarter said:

So how does it compare to the compare it to the Colt SMG PCC types that you've shot?

I have been down sizing my buffers in my Colt types and buffer + bolt weight is about 20 oz.  I have also changed from a solid buffer to sliding weights/dead blow type of buffer.  This was a noticeable help.  I got the KAK configurable buffer as experimented.

So, compared to a normal bolt with a 7.5 oz solid buffer, far softer recoil and better dot control.  With my current setup, softer recoil.  I don't see how any softer would be any better.

As far as dot movement, my current Colt type setup has very little and the CMMG is almost as close.  I need to shoot more comparisons side by side.  Of course I don't have the super-trick-spring-hydraulic-weighted buffer systems :D that others report as having practically no dot movement.  I would like to shoot one of those one day.  But my double taps are getting better and better with more shooting. :)

Well, the mail delivered 3 33 round mags Saturday and I took it as a sign that I should shoot the Guard at a steel match Sunday.  I put on a new Vortex Viper Saturday night and took it to my local range to sight it in and do some testing.  Just dialed it in to be just under an inch high at 15 yards.  Ran really well, so Sunday was a go.

I really like this gun.  Zero malfunctions, easy to reload, pointed well and the mil-spec trigger was a non-issue.  There were multiples on some targets and I could shoot them as fast as I could pull the trigger - no misses.  On the 8-plate spinning rack, no problem knocking them off.

My Colt type shoots just as well, but I have fiddled with mags, springs, buffers, etc. to make it so.  If I had to start over, the Guard would be the way to go for me.

Bart could you post a pic of your lower receiver looking down from the top?  Tried the upper on my psa billet lower and the bolt is hanging up on the follower on an empty mag. Was curious if they had something to keep the mag from going up in to far.  A pic with a mag inserted would be awesome too!

I vaguely remember Pat Kelly making a part that keeps the mag down in one of the Glock mag lowers.

Thanks

Brian

Edited by bmiller
2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Did you have to do anything to your upper/lower?  CMMG says uppers "may require modification."  Do you need to remove the ejector from the lower as well?

54 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Bart could you post a pic of your lower receiver looking down from the top?  Tried the upper on my psa billet lower and the bolt is hanging up on the follower on an empty mag. Was curious if they had something to keep the mag from going up in to far.  A pic with a mag inserted would be awesome too!

I vaguely remember Pat Kelly making a part that keeps the mag down in one of the Glock mag lowers.

Thanks

Brian

Brian,

Can I attach files via the forum option?  I was left out in the cold when photobucket changed.  I can email them to you and you can post, if you like.  Maybe I should get a new host service, but I don't want to go through that again.

I just take them with my iPhone, run them through the photo shrinker app, and store them in my photos.  If you post from your phone, just click on the click to choose files icon and choose your photo library. Select the pic, and post.  That is how I do it, I have never had a hosting service.  I must warn you, I am not the most computer savvy guy, so there could be a much easier route.  Your photos will be appreciated! 

When I pulled the ejector out of my QC10 lower I didn't replace the screw holding it in, that also captures the mag stop.  Not having the pin in allowed me to over insert the mag.  With the stop functional, it is still letting the mag go high enough where it will still catch on the bolt. A friend has a co2 laser, I am going to have him make me a new stop to lower the mag.  

Does your factory guard catch or drag on the mag?  Can you monopod off of the mag without jamming the rifle?  That is one of the major reasons I switched to Glock mag lowers. Every Colt pattern lower I have tried will jam monopoding on the mag while prone.

Thanks

Brian

44 minutes ago, bmiller said:

...When I pulled the ejector out of my QC10 lower I didn't replace the screw holding it in, that also captures the mag stop.  Not having the pin in allowed me to over insert the mag.  With the stop functional, it is still letting the mag go high enough where it will still catch on the bolt. A friend has a co2 laser, I am going to have him make me a new stop to lower the mag.  

Does your factory guard catch or drag on the mag?  Can you monopod off of the mag without jamming the rifle?  That is one of the major reasons I switched to Glock mag lowers. Every Colt pattern lower I have tried will jam monopoding on the mag while prone.

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian,

As you know, the lower on the Guard does not have an ejector.  It is on the bolt like an AR 15.  What they did to stop over insertion was to mill a ledge in the magwell that prevents over insertion by using the corresponding ledge on the Glock magazine.  I just tested a Glock mag on the lower (disengaging the mag release while testing) and that is the only thing stopping the mag from over insertion.  The LRHBO does not enter into this as a possible stop.

This ledge / mag fit doesn't allow for over insertion.  After trying unsuccessfully to over insert a mag, I would say you can't catch the bolt and you would have no trouble to monopoding.

I'll figure out how to post a picture after I can take a few to show the ledge.

I really like the way CMMG designed the mag stop.  They could probably do this because the ejector is in the bolt like an AR 15.  Other manufacturers didn't have this option because they followed Colt's blowback setup.  For me, one more reason to go with the Guard.  (But I won't be giving up my Colt style PCCs. :P)