Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are 3gun shotguns better with red dot sights?

BoyGlock

I felt rds are too high on the barrel that consistency in my cheek weld is a bit compromised, that bcoz of its high mounting I need to hold over/under my aim more often than i would prefer at speed, that its precise aim is not so much needed in shotgun, that its another thing to contend to in the ruggedness of the game in addition to my rds’ed pistol and rifle. Im shooting open. 

Edited by BoyGlock

Sounds Like you've outlined two points...

1.  RDS on your setup doesn't allow you to achieve consistent cheek welds
  2.  Height over Bore related issues when shooting at different distances.  

#1 sounds like it's simply a matter of your setup or stock choice or mounting solution...what setup are you running?  I ask because this isn't an issue I've experienced running the Dissident Vepr for example.

#2 with respect to this subject, probably a very valid point, but how do you handle on your other setups?

I'd add just a few more questions - do you feel that shooting slugs with a RDS is more efficient for you?

With respect to speed, because sight focus isn't really critical on a shotgun to be effective, some of the reasons you might run an RDS on a handgun or rifle may be less important.

Edited by GorillaTactical

8 hours ago, GorillaTactical said:

Sounds Like you've outlined two points...

1.  RDS on your setup doesn't allow you to achieve consistent cheek welds
  2.  Height over Bore related issues when shooting at different distances.  

#1 sounds like it's simply a matter of your setup or stock choice or mounting solution...what setup are you running?  I ask because this isn't an issue I've experienced running the Dissident Vepr for example.

#2 with respect to this subject, probably a very valid point, but how do you handle on your other setups?

I'd add just a few more questions - do you feel that shooting slugs with a RDS is more efficient for you?

With respect to speed, because sight focus isn't really critical on a shotgun to be effective, some of the reasons you might run an RDS on a handgun or rifle may be less important.

I used to have aimpoint micro and pxs2000(?) champion sight. I tried all the shims that came with my sx3 and 1301 and still my cheek contact was a wee bit low that it felt unnatural to me. I  reverted to fiber optic bead. Felt more natural and easier at speed. Dont have to remember to compensate or hold. 

As to slugs I dont have much to base on. Just a beginner in 3gun with less than 5 majors experience. But the slug targets I shot are large enough that even at distance I can hit them with much confidence with bead sights. At least in my local matches the farthest were paper at 50y. 

Ok so if we think a bit more basic then...

Red Dot sights allow us to do what?

• Utilize Target Focus opposed to Front Sight Focus
  • Disregard Sight Alignment as part of the picture

Are those two points really worth anything on a shotgun?  Maybe not really? I would say that I personally feel faster with the dot...maybe it comes down to how much time you've spent on a given platform more than anything.  I know a few shotgun shooters who say they shoot almost completely instinctively and aren't aiming all that much.

Edited by GorillaTactical

5 hours ago, GorillaTactical said:

Ok so if we think a bit more basic then...

Red Dot sights allow us to do what?

• Utilize Target Focus opposed to Front Sight Focus
  • Disregard Sight Alignment as part of the picture

Are those two points really worth anything on a shotgun?  Maybe not really? I would say that I personally feel faster with the dot...maybe it comes down to how much time you've spent on a given platform more than anything.  I know a few shotgun shooters who say they shoot almost completely instinctively and aren't aiming all that much.

Im newbie in shotgun and 3gun. Im learning what I can in the earliest time possible as Im already shooting in Sr. Im in open pistol for a number of yrs now so Im more inclined to use rds on any gun. Almost all my pistols and rifles are with rds due to my aging eyes. But thats my take on shotgun with rds. In practice runs and matches with that set up I miss a number static clays and steel from under 7y and beyond 25y because I forgot to hold my aim correctly. Choke was IC. Also I tended to shoot without proper cheek weld as long as I see the dot on target ala pistol/rifle. I returned to bead sights and the misses were gone. I dunno if it slowed me a bit but i feel more at ease and confident with beads. But Im not closing doors to rds yet. 

It could just be training but I want to train and learn the proper way of shotgunning vs rifle way asap. You could be right. It could be due to more or less time spent in a platform. And that red dots makes us focus on target where shotgunning should be is quite correct. I can have one gun with rds and give me more time and training with it. In my other thread in this forum I asked about proper sight pic on shotgun vs conventional pistol/rifle sight pics. I have no one to personally teach me so Im seeking knowledge here. Thanks very much for your inputs.