Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strike eagle good for 3gun?

nikdanja

i really want a vortex pst gen 2 (not the rediculously expensive one) but wondering if the strike eagle would be good for 3gun. Putting the finishing touches on my rifle and might want to test the 3gu waters for the first time next spring. 

That's what the majority of the shooters in my area are using... or something very similar.  Then you have the guys with way more money running VX-6's Razors, Khales, and SWARO.   but most of the "fun shooters" that have a life other than shooting use the eagle, or something very similar.  It will work just fine.

• 1 month later...

I have one on an AR-10.  I love variable optics and have had several that are on the market.  It really all depends on what you want to spend in my opinion with anything in 3gun.  You do get what you pay for.  For most local matches it will be fine.  That scope will get you in the game for sure and you can do great with it.  I always worry about cheaper scopes holding zero or breaking.  My first major match prompted me to buy nice glass.  I run a leupold Mark 6 in 3gun but I started with the hilux 1-4x and love that scope.  It has better glass than the vortex.  I would choose it for the money.  There are a lot of situations in which you can get nicer glass in a 1-4x over the 1-6x.  just like the hilux 1-4x vs the vortex 1-6 strike eagle.   

The PST Gen 2 has much better glass than the strike eagle at about half the cost of the high end optics. The VMR-2 reticle works well too. That being said, there is a match ready Strike Eagle for sale in the classifieds if you decide to go that route.

• 2 months later...

I tried a 1-6 SE last year and it was fine for the price point but heavy and glass quality is blah when your banging away at distance if your club goes more than a couple hundred yards.  I prefer my old Burris 1-4 to save the weight instead

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2017 at 10:36 PM, Balwolley said:

That's what the majority of the shooters in my area are using... or something very similar.  Then you have the guys with way more money running VX-6's Razors, Khales, and SWARO.   but most of the "fun shooters" that have a life other than shooting use the eagle, or something very similar.  It will work just fine.

:huh:

I started out with the Strike eagle and it worked fine for most 3 gun situations, but if you're like many of us on this forum that "don't have a life other than shooting", I would go with at least the Viper PST 1-6.  The short list of advantages are- bigger field of view, less cluttered reticle, and clearer glass on long range targets.  

I have both. The Viper PST Gen 2 1x6 is absolutely worth the extra money over the SE. Reticle and dot are great. Also have a Razor 1x6. Very close in glass and half the price. Look on Gunbroker. Some pretty good deals on them if you get the auction. Picked one up over $100 off going price or get a 10% discount at Optics Planet code.

gerritm

• 2 months later...

I have or have owned the StrikeEagle, Viper PST and the Razors. The SE will work just fine. But, as start to play more and want to be more competitive you will find that the recticle is too thick for precise shots and the glass quality just isn’t what the VPST is and not close to the Razors. If you go ahead and get a Viper PST you could stay satisfied with it for as long as you shoot 3gun. And 6 power vs 8 isn’t as big of a deal as people make it sound. I know a lot of top shooters that don’t use not need 8 power to be competitive.