Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Possen Warren on 650 OAL issue

6 hours ago, PaladinPrecision said:

Is that from the cases springing back at a different rate based on brass hardness? I don't actually have the machine yet, it was a friends complaint about why NOT to get one. But if there is a fix to make reasonable ammo or prep I might buy it.

Different head stamps give slightly different oals. Could be a few reasons but it does happen.

Lube always helps keep oals in line due to helping keep uniform resistance during the process.

Both of the above definitely help when loading manually so unless the PW unit is bad they should help.

Ah yeah, I'd agree with that too. The linkage appears to follow a consistent path while operating, so I'd assume variations in the up/down stroke would be minimal.

I think 2 things will help. 1 as others mentioned, case lube and 2, bullet variations.  What bullet & seating die are they using?

On 11/15/2017 at 7:25 PM, PaladinPrecision said:

Does anyone have a fix for excessive OAL variation with the warren auto drive on the 650?

Here’s some pictures of what I had done to take care of the inconsistencies this takes out any bit of flex whatsoever keep things much more stable and consistent. The original set up have a little bit of flex with the Dillon  knuckle where the handle mounted to. Now there’s absolutely no movement whatsoever. 

43220049-0DC6-4B63-BB83-35339D451E44.jpeg

D8549A5C-FD1B-4A2B-8ADF-74DE9F81ECD4.jpeg

DC204707-D601-4863-8448-5CE3CD61BDEF.jpeg

3 hours ago, tmz said:

Here’s some pictures of what I had done to take care of the inconsistencies this takes out any bit of flex whatsoever keep things much more stable and consistent. The original set up have a little bit of flex with the Dillon  knuckle where the handle mounted to. Now there’s absolutely no movement whatsoever. 

I was just thinking of making a tension rod the other day when I watched flex in that assembly on a youtube video. 

What would you charge me for you to make another set of those? lol Not sure my little mill will machine steel blocks that well lol. 

Machine wise, with the rotary travel and rodends. The machine has hard stops when operated by hand, which would increase consistency. I was thinking about upgrading the rodends to NHBB and seeing if that improved things. But TMZ has a great idea about making the platform more rigid. 

7 hours ago, PaladinPrecision said:

I was just thinking of making a tension rod the other day when I watched flex in that assembly on a youtube video. 

What would you charge me for you to make another set of those? lol Not sure my little mill will machine steel blocks that well lol. 

I would like to take credit for this but actually my buddy  “Bill”  made me a set of these  when we noticed flex in both of our machines. We both have this set up on 650s and noticed some inconsistencies, after a little brainstorming together he’s a machinist, he came up with this. The one other thing that was done that you can’t see is the upper pin was removed and  each end of the shoulders were  machined back some. This modification now let you snug the upper pin bolts which caused the arms to press against the press and  makes it that much more ridgid.  I have since moved in a different direction and sold the 650 and after this upcoming holiday will be listing this drive unit with this modification in the classifieds.

I would like to be able to say he could make this for others but with his busy schedule at work it’s difficult enough to get little things done like this  just for himself  and for me to when I bug him enough lol

• 3 months later...
22 hours ago, tomv said:

Did your friend ever get back to you with drawings?

Sorry before having a chance to get any drawings together we both have sold our 650 auto drives.