Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mistakes, Pulling Bullets, and left over mix powder

RippSpeed

We've all have mess up ... rounds with no primer or bullets upside down, or loaded a case thats cracked... Or pulled bullets from rounds we've picked up at the range.

I know I can reused the primer and some of the brass ...

but what do we do with the used powder ??? I have a little container of mixed powder ... What do you guys do or what can we use the mixed powder for ... Ive used the mixed powder to start little fire camp fire... what else can it be used for ???

A guy at a local club in England (back before legal gun ownership was banned), put all his odd powder in a bucket, stirred it with a stick and loaded his 9mm with it. I think there was some black powder in the mix too.. His rounds varied from subsonic that probably bounced off the cardboard targets all the way up to the kind of sonic boom that had the rest of us heading toward the bomb shelters. 

We sent him home...

Pouring it on the ground in a long line and lighting it on fire is fun to do too one time if you've never done it before. :D

Not the best thing for your lawn though. 

Edited by cas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lot of misconception in this thread.  Smokeless powders like these contain 40% nitroglycerin along with diphenylamine and some other tasty chemicals that are not water soluble, so you would not be benefiting your garden/lawn in any noticeable way.  There is at least one case of a man receiving bad burns when a lawn he had been doing this with for years accidentally caught fire.  At least one powder company, Alliant, recommends burning as the only way to get rid of old powder.  I believe the old "lawn" myth is a left over from black powder days, when the materials could be neutralized by spreading them out and getting them wet.  The stuff used in modern gunpowder is NOT the same as that used in fertilizer. 

Edited by Tom S.

well,  burning it is more fun...

shall we make firecrackers? or fast roman candles?

I am not sure that brass is water soluble, however, it does dissolve in soil ...

if the brass button with a little case left attached  and most of the stamp gone is any indicator.

I think it was a 38 special but a 3 was about all I could read...

miranda

I've always read that a line with a small mound at the end is the best way to get rid of it. Light the line, let it run to the mound...poof. Done. There is an old timer at the club that lights the left over powder in the indoor range. Brass is picked up, and the floor swept after shooting. The "dirt" on the floor isn't dirt - it's the unburned powder from shooting. He sweeps it into a line, lights it, burns off the powder and sweeps up what's left. Seems that they were using a 5gal bucket for cleanup that was being filled with "dirt" from cleaning up - until one of the cleanup guys threw his butt in the bucket one day...and everybody realized what they were actually sweeping up.