Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lite Primer strike

tomjerry1

Breaking in a new gun, 38S, using SIG and Armscor 125 gr. These all shoot, sometimes the slide will not cycle completely and I have to rack a spent case. I expect this on a tight new gun, it is cycling better as I put more rounds through it, 200 tonight. I shoot 10, let it cool and shoot 10 more. The last 10 rounds were loaded to approx. 170 power factor same bullet weight, the gun cycles them great, strong at 3 o' clock,  but I am getting lite primer strikes, about every third round would not fire, but would fire on second try. The box ammo has good, clear strikes, my loads are barely indented on the primer, any thoughts?

If the gun fires "box" ammo with good firing pin indention then your firing pin is OK.  Hopefully you'll discover that the hand primed rounds will work the same.  If the primers are harder than usual the press will have more difficulty seating them to the same depth as softer primers.

I put the remaining rounds I have through a hand prime, suspect I'm not putting enough pressure on the handle while reloading on my 550. I guess it's prof that here's always a first time for everything. Am going to load some more today and hopefully get to shoot them early this week, will post afterwards the results.

CCI are VERY hard primers! I had never had a light strike before i used them. I got 2000 of them as they were on sale. Out of the 2000 rds, I had two light strikes. I now do not use CCI primers any more. yeah, a solution too is to get an extended firing pin or a lighter firing pin spring. I just opt not to buy them any more :). 

19 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

CCI's are harder, I just made sure I pushed the handle all the way on my 550 this time.

I think you are on to the solution - technique. Make sure you always push firmly on the handle for the primer seating on 550 - if your push felt a little wimpy, do it again before advancing to next station. Just part of running a 550 effectively.

I've loaded just over 100K CCI primers on my 550 without issue after learning this same lesson early on.  

No way to mess this up (seating depth) with my 1050, but the 550 is a very reliable & versatile tool. Still use mine every week. 

Well, have a new Dawson Extra long firing pin, new wolff firing pin spring, new 17# main spring, and a new 8# wolff recoil spring. Once again, shooting 38sc, CCI spp, KKM 5" barrel, no poppel holes, three port compensator, right at 165 pf. It is working, probably had a few high primers in earlier post, but still not hard primer strikes, about the same as before changing the firing pin and springs. Are the CCI's that hard????