Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Experience with Clays in .45 ACP?

FBG001

I just started experimenting with Clays and am looking for some insights. 

I weighed 4.0 grains (the max charge per Hodgdon) behind an X-Treme 230 grain plated round nose.  Out of a 5” Wilson CQB, a 10 round string averaged 717 fps which just makes 165 PF.  Four of the 10 rounds chrono’ed under 717 fps.  The ES was 69 and the SD 22.

The velocity seems a tad low but the ES and SD really surprised me, especially considering that I weighed (not measured) the charges.  Is that level of inconsistency typical with Clays in the 45?

And speaking of inconsistency, I started to load volume on my Dillon SDB and the powder measure is waffling between 3.8 and 4.2.  A two tenths variation on either side seems like a lot on such a light charge, especially when 4.0 is considered max.  Any concerns?      

Edited by FBG001

The load you are looking at on Hodgdon's site is for a full metal jacket bullet. Your bullet is plated not jacketed. You can go to 4.4 on a plated/coated bullet with out any problems. I load the plated 230 grain bullets at 4.2 grains of Clays at an OAL of 1.250 to get 170 PF out of my 97B. 

I loaded up 500 of the Berry's plated 230 grainers with 4.0 to 4.1 grains of Clays at a 1.25ish OAL.  Winchester large pistol primers.

I'll let you know within a week or so how fast they are going over the chrono.

I've got another 500 of the Berry's to load up.

After that, my plan entails casting my own and doing the shake and bake powder coat thing.

Hodgon's site lists two 230 loads, a full metal jacket and a lead round nose (I know to use lead bullet data with plated bullets) and both show 4.0 as max.  Glad to hear I can bump it up a tenth or two to make 170.

What's your experience been with ES and SD?  I'm not used to seeing this degree of inconsistency with other powders.

For what its worth, i would offer some caution with clays in the 45. A good friend and very experienced reloader and shooter had a catastrophic malfunction of a pistol, ie. blew it up. After some investigation we concluded it was probably an undercharged round. With Clays, that range is very small. That is where the caution seems to be needed.

For the most part we have used titegroup very successfully and its much more forgiving and for us seemed to be much more accurate and with less ES and SD. Hope that helps

Adam

Thanks Adam.  Yeah, I read the good, the bad and the ugly about Clays.  Seems people either love it or hate it.  I decided to give it a try, albeit reluctantly.  But I bought a pound of Titegroup at the same time in case things didn't work out!

I see you're in Matamoras.  I live in Montgomery County but am in the process of buying a weekend place right down the road from you in Dingmans Ferry.  Any good USPSA matches in the area?

11 hours ago, FBG001 said:

Thanks Adam.  Yeah, I read the good, the bad and the ugly about Clays.  Seems people either love it or hate it.  I decided to give it a try, albeit reluctantly.  But I bought a pound of Titegroup at the same time in case things didn't work out!

I see you're in Matamoras.  I live in Montgomery County but am in the process of buying a weekend place right down the road from you in Dingmans Ferry.  Any good USPSA matches in the area?

Unfortunately no, you should look at Factoryville, Hellertown, or Ontelaunee.  Those are the best ones in the area with matches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For most .45's with 230gr pills, best accuracy is in the 800-850 range. Work up your charge, watching for pressure signs, until you hit the sweet spot.

Never had much luck myself with Clays on the bigger bullets, works good for 185's. With 230's I like WST, E3 and W231.

I used to use the old Australian Clays exclusively for .45 ACP.  When the Canadian Clays replaced the Australian stuff, I found I couldn't make major with it and the metering consistency was looser, like +/- 0.2 grains from desired!  The old Clays was +/- 0.1gr on metering consistency.  Now that I have switched to Nitro 100 NF, I am more satisfied with this powder than even the original Australian Clays.  Metering is super consistent and my major pf load is only 0.1 gr less than my original Clays load.  Soft recoil and accurate without the hot weather pressure spikes.

On 11/11/2017 at 9:44 AM, galt11 said:

Unfortunately no, you should look at Factoryville, Hellertown, or Ontelaunee.  Those are the best ones in the area with matches.

This is Incorrect. Matamoras rod and gun now is a USPSA Club with USPSA matches March-October.  There seem to be a lot of compliments from the guys who also shoot those matches.