Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about having a backup gun

Djp55

How good do people think you need to be to really need a backup gun?  Is it worth it when you're just a run-of-the-mill nobody shooter?  Any criteria or thoughts are really appreciated, I'm considering picking one up but I have no clue if I really need one. 

I feel that it largely depends on your equipment.  If it is a proven reliable gun and you are comfortable installing parts like firing pins, extractor, etc. then just keep some spare parts on hand.  Magazines are the same way in keeping clean and good springs.  It's like Murphy's law, if it can happen, it usually will at a larger match.  I myself before a bigger match just do a complete disassembly and inspect components, replace as needed and shoot a local match to double check.  I carry a bag of tools and parts kinda like a gun first aid kit and have not needed to grab a second gun.

36 minutes ago, Djp55 said:

How good do people think you need to be to really need a backup gun?  Is it worth it when you're just a run-of-the-mill nobody shooter?  Any criteria or thoughts are really appreciated, I'm considering picking one up but I have no clue if I really need one. 

To be honest I think that is the wrong question.

I think the right question is closer/along the lines of, "Do I care enough about this match/how invested am I/how far did I have to drive/how much did I have to commit?"  If you need a backup and don't have one, think about these things.

I shoot for practical reasons, so no matter how great the gun is, it can't be unreliable, to me, for me to shoot it.  That said, even if you're the same way, you have to think outside the box and ask questions like, "If I forget to bring my primary piece of sporting equipment, will I have a backup?  Am I willing to lend another shooter that might need this firearm to compete, my backup, and if so, should I then bring one?"

Things to peruse and ponder.

All fair points. My main concern is that using my own loads, as an admittedly entry level reloader, something can go wrong there. I have plenty of time and money into the sport, which is really why I'm considering spending a bit more. I have high aspirations for where I can get to, just wondering where the point would be to reasonably "need" a backup. 

I like having an identical (or close) back up.  I'm overly cautious with my pistols and like having two pistols to practice with.  When running drills in practice, having a back up lets one cool down and you don't have to have a lot of down time especially if you're pressed for time.  (I'm pretty convinced that this also helps keep the slide to frame/lock up tighter, longer.)

One simple way to make sure you don't have squibs/double charges and doesn't really take any more time/effort is to visually check each case as you place the bullet on the case.  It's simple and foolproof.  

6 hours ago, Djp55 said:

an entry level reloader, something can go wrong there.

Before I spent $500+++ for a 2nd gun, I'd address the safety issue.

As al503 mentioned above, not too likely for a reload to incapacitate your primary firearm.

If you have dangerous ammo, I'd hesitate to pop out a 2nd gun and start shooting the

same faulty ammo in the 2nd gun.

Two totally different issues - 1.  do everything you have to do to correct the danger of your reloads,

and                                      2.  do you WANT to HAVE a backup gun (you do NOT NEED one), but

you might want to have one.  Probably NOT if you shoot a Glock,

more likely if you shoot an OPEN gun.    :) 

I would not buy one for fear of ammo trouble. If you use a back up it should be as close as it can be to being identical to the first one. In that case, if the ammo won't run in the first, it won't in the second 10:1.  Listen to hi power jack and spend whatever you need on making the best ammo possible. 

I do trust my loads and I haven't had an issue with them, I just see it as a potential spot where something can go wrong. I visually inspect and case gauge every round, watch powder, etc, but it's an abundance of caution mindset I'm talking about really. 

22 minutes ago, Djp55 said:

I do trust my loads 

To answer your first question, then, NO you do not NEED a backup gun   :) 

As has been said above, you might WANT a backup, iff you worry something

will fail on your primary gun that you cannot fix in a few minutes, or if you

might need to send your primary gun out to a smith for a few weeks/months.

I agree with above posters.  Ive carried a backup for several years & have rarely needed it.  I prefer having a backup & not need it than need it & not have it.  Also I like being self sufficient.  Im not too proud to borrow someones gear if mine breaks but its nice knowing I probably wont have to.  Also its nice having gear I can loan to friends if they have trouble.

I think it depends on how you feel about not finishing or being able to go to matches because your gun went down and cannot be fixed. Its not a matter of if it will happen but when (as I sit here using my backup pcc while waiting for upper part). My better half shoots also so our backup gun is each others gun. Although I am thinking of building a third gun just for a backup lol, When I ran limited and open class (glocks) I had a backup gun and used them on occasion.

I'm on the boat that if you're going to be travelling a good deal for matches, having a backup is worth it. I started shooting carry optics this year, so the real reason I got a backup G34 is due to my fear of optics failing. 

I'm in the middle of getting a couple of SP-01s for carry optics, and I really do wish I had one already since I've got to send the only SP-01 I have to CZC for 9 weeks...

8 hours ago, noexcuses said:

Its not a matter of if it will happen but when (as I sit here using my backup pcc while waiting for upper part).

So far at matches I have; busted a slide release on an STI Trojan, broken a link pin on a 2011, broken a front sight on a 2011, broken a trigger return spring on a CZ, and lost a front fiber optic or two. I think I am a gun jinx. 

If your ammunition is suspect, it should be changed to known good ammunition.  There is still the possibility of a reloading mishap that could take out a gun.

In the very early days of practical pistol shooting, many of the shooters actually had three guns.  One being shot, a backup and a third at the gunsmith being built.  They cycled through as needed.

I have been shooting a few years now and I have experienced various mishaps in matches.  These have included sights that came apart, thumb safeties breaking, the bottom lugs shearing off the barrel, a broken slide stop and a broken barrel bushing, along with a full length mainspring guide rod breaking and an extractor hook breaking off.

Some have been at local matches, others up to Nationals.

Ultimately, it's your decision, but a backup gun is likely a good thing.

Guy

I spent about $600 for match, lodging, food, fuel, match fee etc., for the Gator Classic this year. I can’t imagine how po’d I’d be if my gun went down and I couldn’t finish.

So what’s your time and money worth?

Secondarily, I have a dry fire/practice gun and a match gun. Both are setup the same but the match gun gets much less use. This method keeps 1 pretty pristine and the other is a work horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once it's laid out, the logic send fairly self evident. If I'm shooting my 10-15k a year, classes, matches, practice, etc, I would be livid going to any match, even my normal local, and losing a chance at whatever place because something goes sideways. The cost of a backup seems pretty minor in the grand scheme (probably shooting production helps that). 

Is the one gun for dry fire/practice and one for matches the norm? Do people ever try to keep even round counts? Sorry if it's all stupid questions, that's why I threw it in the beginner forum, figured it's where I'd get there most leeway. 

2 hours ago, Djp55 said:

Is the one gun for dry fire/practice and one for matches the norm? Do people ever try to keep even round counts? Sorry if it's all stupid questions, that's why I threw it in the beginner forum, figured it's where I'd get there most leeway. 

They're not stupid questions.  

I have two limited pistols built by the same smith.  Same exact bbl in both but one shoots tighter groups  regardless of bullet/powder.  The difference in accuracy isn't enough to make a real difference with the targets and distances we shoot, but the more accurate pistol is the match pistol.    Both get rotated equally in practice.  

if you get a back up, I'd bet that there will be some quality that will make one of the pistols your match/primary.

6 hours ago, SCTaylor said:

Secondarily, I have a dry fire/practice gun and a match gun. Both are setup the same but the match gun gets much less use. This method keeps 1 pretty pristine and the other is a work horse.

If something breaks on my workhorse gun (that is not a fitted part), new part goes in my match gun & match gun part goes in practice gun. I pretty much run the things that fail to failure. 

10 minutes ago, tattooo said:
2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I don't do that. Something goes wrong and you just lost your 401k. 

If I had any completely stock guns I would maybe feel different. 

Agreed, Why chance your back up ?

I'd chance the gun, chancing a lawsuit if the borrower lets a round loose in a harmful direction, not so much.

I'd chance the gun, chancing a lawsuit if the borrower lets a round loose in a harmful direction, not so much.
I hear you but If you feel that way your better off not lending a bone stock gun either. Same headache of a lawsuit slightly different liability due to mods.

OP, since you mentioned taking classes or training, then a backup gun is just as important. If your pistol goes down during a class, grab the backup and get back on the line. The backup should use the same mags and holster. Even though you may be able to fix your pistol, while you're doing that the class will be driving on. Fix the gun during lunch or a break, and don't miss any of the instruction you paid for.