Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popple Holes on a PCC Barrel

I apologize for derailing this thread. When Popple holes were mentioned I just naturally...

Like Tim said, there's nothing new under the Sun here either with holes, vents, brakes, or comps. Back in the day I built a Mark IV Government Model with a six inch barrel. 

I threaded the end of the barrel then screwed on a I and 1/2 inch piece of steel, flattened the sides to match the slide, and I had me a compensator.

Mostly it was heavy, but I had the bright idea of drilling 6 holes in the top (three on each side kinda like a V6). After plunge cutting 6 holes on the mill with a 1/8th inch cutter I put it back together and tried it out. I figured any burrs on the inside would get shot out pretty quick.

Long story longer, it worked like a champ.

Edited by MikieM

Nah, they just cut a hole in the weld used to cover the original hole and take the pin out.  

What I want to hear is what they mean by  "make it right" ... the only thing I can think of is to have a new barrel there to replace the one they destroyed.

Like Bronc, said. They are holes in the barrel and are named after a fellow by the name of Adam Popplewell. 

I, however, dispute this claim because I was using a form of holes through the barrel as early as 1983.

In those days these holes were called by the nickname my first wife gave me. Ass-hole. 

Now you know the rest of the story.

Edited by MikieM
Like Bronc, said. They are holes in the barrel and are named after a fellow by the name of Adam Popplewell. 
I, however, dispute this claim because I was using a form of holes through the barrel as early as 1983.
In those days these holes were called by the nickname my first wife gave me. Ass-hole. 
Now you know the rest of the story.
So when did they just start calling it porting? I thought it'd have been around much longer than that.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Popple holes are relatively small holes that have been cut through the top of a pistol barrel. They act as vents that allow gas to escape before the bullet has exited the barrel, and are usually found on hybrid barrels such as those made by SV, although I'm sure other variations exist. Porting is just another name for a hole, but generally refers to those cut into a Compensator. 

In what year Mr. Popplewell introduced them is actually unknown to me, but I do know, however, that my ex-wife did start calling me a-hole in, or around, 1983. 

On 1/14/2018 at 7:10 AM, MikieM said:

...to have it pinned and welded over. The guy assured me that they done it before... there was a glob of weld right where the guy had drilled clean through my new barrel...

Well, whoever did this either didn't know what he was doing or was a poor craftsman.  To pin and weld, you only drill to a depth that will capture the pin enough that you can't unscrew the attachment.  Then you put in the pin and only weld over enough to capture the pin.  You only weld the top of the surface.  A penetration weld defeats the purpose.  When I do this, I only do a quick dab of my TIG.  Otherwise you put in too much heat and you have experienced one of the results of that.

1 hour ago, MikieM said:

The poor craftsman part pretty much describes it. The weld over the pin looks very good. Small and clean. It's the drilling through my barrel and into the bore that pissed me off.

Unknowingly, you have likely started a new trend ... soon everyone will be running to their gunsmith and asking for them to install one of them new "A-holes" to help eliminate the recoil and shoot all A's!

ETA: You should likely trademark that name quickly, before someone else does ...

Edited by L9X25

Holy crap, Batman. You're right.

When installing an extension simply drill through the bore and tap in a large roll pin, but leave enough of it sticking out the top so that you can weld around it. 

The A-Hole is born!  

1 hour ago, MikieM said:

Holy crap, Batman. You're right.

When installing an extension simply drill through the bore and tap in a large roll pin, but leave enough of it sticking out the top so that you can weld around it. 

The A-Hole is born!  

Nope, ATF says the blind pinned and pin head must be welded over. 

Not a bad idea though. 

Edited by Patrick Scott
Popple holes are relatively small holes that have been cut through the top of a pistol barrel. They act as vents that allow gas to escape before the bullet has exited the barrel, and are usually found on hybrid barrels such as those made by SV, although I'm sure other variations exist. Porting is just another name for a hole, but generally refers to those cut into a Compensator. 
In what year Mr. Popplewell introduced them is actually unknown to me, but I do know, however, that my ex-wife did start calling me a-hole in, or around, 1983. 
I understand the concept, just doesn't understand the terminology or the timeline. Every rule book I've ever read refers to holes in the barrel as ports. And Mag-na-port claims to have been doing their thing since the 60's. Would've thought holes in a barrel was a simple concept that goes back much further than that.

29 minutes ago, RAINY0DAYS said:

I understand the concept, just doesn't understand the terminology or the timeline. Every rule book I've ever read refers to holes in the barrel as ports. And Mag-na-port claims to have been doing their thing since the 60's. Would've thought holes in a barrel was a simple concept that goes back much further than that.

Semantics, my friend. Ports are holes and can be found on the side of a ship.

Mag-na-port has been around at least since the late 70's, but they use more of a slit than a hole.

Bill Wilson's LE comp (remember, Brian?) had one big port.

A port by any other name...