Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bursitis

Jeff22

I'm experiencing bursitis in my left knee. I originally tweaked it making a pivot to the right on the indoor range, and then a month later when running (slowly) during a physical fitness evaluation for work.

The doctor recommended frequent icing and anti-inflammatories. I've also been using Blue Emu cream which seems to help a little. But, the condition is persisting. I don't want to do anything to prolong it.

Does anybody have any suggestions? This is REALLY interfering with my physical fitness program.

• 4 weeks later...

I've dealt with Bursitis for the past 10 years, thanks to the Army and lots of running. My best advice - and you're not going to like it, is to rest. I've iced and taken meds, but rest is the only constant that helps a lot with it. Anytime it flares up, I focus my workouts more on other areas (upper body, core, etc) - and then go back to my cardio/running in a couple of days. Also worth noting, I've found that slow running is MUCH harder on the joints than faster running. Perhaps you can alternate between rest and some limited sprints once you're feeling a little better? Hope it gets better..I know that sucks a lot.

So I've cut way back on my walking and I ice my knee at least three times a day -- when I wake up, before I go to work, and before bed. 

I think my knee is almost back to normal. I walked two miles at my normal pace at the health club the other day without ill result. 

I'm going to increase my walking distances gradually and keep icing it. 

• 6 months later...

Rest is going to be the best thing for it, i ice mine several times a day and it helps but putting to much pressure on it from running makes it worse. Try walking more than running and it will but less stress on it. 

Worked with an electrician who swore that his problems with elbow bursitis stopped after he got that arm across a hot 480 volt circuit (likely 277 volts between hand on hot terminal and elbow grounded on side of metal control enclosure, but he called it 480 v). 

• 3 weeks later...