Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL Binding Sound

I've noticed that my Hornady LNL is binding during the initial downstroke and end of the upstroke. I think it is the case feeder shuttle, but I'm not really sure how to resolve this. My pawls are adjusted correctly (I think, no issues loading). I've attached a video where hopefully you can see the problem. I thought it might have also been spilled powder, but the binding persists after cleaning up any spilled powder.

Any suggestions on how to remove this binding? I'm watching other videos, and they seem much smoother than my press. My press also has issues with the shell plate jumping to its stop which causes a bit of spilled powder. Not sure if there's anything I can do about this though.

I can't really tell in the video if anything is binding it looks smooth to me. Maybe add a little grease to the wire that moves the shuttle. There are two things I found that help with the shell plate jumping into position. 1 put some thick grease on the plate where the balls ride to slow it down 2 push the balls up a little higher in the shell plate. Another thing is technique, I don't use a bullet feeder so all my left hand is doing is putting bullets in. I look in the case as it comes down and place the bullet just before it clicks in to catch the powder. I put a tray on the front of the press for the heads https://i.imgur.com/wXMeCgc.jpg[/img]

Edited by louu

Got it, grease is what I'm suspecting. I removed the shell plate, and the binding sound is still there, and it only happens when the case feeder shuttle is moving.

Does the type of grease matter? I might just use some of the Slide Glide I have since the jar will already last forever.

Got it, grease is what I'm suspecting. I removed the shell plate, and the binding sound is still there, and it only happens when the case feeder shuttle is moving.

Does the type of grease matter? I might just use some of the Slide Glide I have since the jar will already last forever.

I have the same thing happen to mine occasionally. I usually pull he shell plate clean the powder off, and then put grease back on. I use bel ray waterproof grease for dirt bikes since I have a giant tube. I don’t think it matters though as long as it sticks.

I also grease the rubber nub that rotates the case feeder block. I found without grease that would wear a flat spot in the nub and be rough to engage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Check for the wire moving the case feed shuttle being centered in the slot of the plate the shuttle rides on.  I bent the attachment and it was rubbing on the side of the slot.  The shuttle still moved but the wire was wearing on the side.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Slvr,

It's hard for me to tell at work because I have too much noise to really "listen" on the video to hear if anything sounds like it is binding.

However, as Paul mentioned, also check the wire.  Also, I used Brian's Slide Glide on my press since day one and haven't had an issue.  I figured that is what it is made for...moving parts.  I put a thin coat on.  I didn't gob it on or anything, but just enough for a thin layer to work and I haven't had an issue since it was new.  I also put some under the shell plate.  Also, make sure to check the ballbearing under the shell plate as well.  Make sure there isn't an issue with it.  Again, I didn't get a chance to hear/see the video, but I do know those can be one of the parts to bind if they are too tight or get dry with no lube or have grit in them.  Then it will seemed to bind.

Also, there is a zircon (I think that is what it's called...I'm having a brain fart) fitting...grease fitting on the lower portion of the ram.  Maybe you need to apply some grease to the inside with a grease gun?  Maybe yours dried up and ran out?  Mine is fairly new, so I don't need to do that yet, but I don't know how old your press is.  Maybe you need to regrease the inside.  Maybe that is causing some binding or tightness as well?  Just throwing out some thoughts before I can watch the video once I get home in a quiet environment with some real speakers/headphones.

Mat

Plus, just looking at your paused video...your ram looks kind of dry.  Maybe it is just the light and how the video is, but does it have a thin coat of oil or grease on the ram?  If not, that may be part of the issue too.