Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how is everyone tuning up shields?

steviesterno

Hey all, 

I have been carrying a shield performance version off and on for the last year or so, but (for obvious reasons) I find it's just not quite as shootable as my 1911. I'm wondering if there are things that are worthwhile to do to up the speed and confidence of the thing without totally ignoring it to go with a full sized model. 

Thanks! 

Apex trigger in both my carry shields. Night sights on both. One thing I really like is the Hyve +2 baseplates for 9mm, 10+1 is a bit more comfortable. 

The trigger will never be 1911 short and light, but you'll never get a 1911 as concealable, comfortable and reliable as the shield from my experience. 

gunsmithed trigger (4.5 pound pull no Apex all original parts except for one spring , I have access to several really good gunsmiths in my area)

night sights and a few different mag configurations. 

The MagGuts+2 kits work great with either the 7 or 8 round mags, my 7 round mags and re 9+1 and my 8 round mags are 10+1.

I also use the Hyve extensions on a couple of 8 round mags , but they are a bit longer than the Magguts option so I don't carry those.

with a good trigger , the Shield is a very shootable little beast. I carry mine almost everywhere I go.

StealthGear mini or flex , both holsters rock! :)

Also run a tuned factory trigger.  Around 4.8lbs, (probably better now with some rounds through it) stock was just under 8lbs.  Dawson front night sight, blacked out rear sight, and rubber Talon grip.

Practice is mandatory but they are good shooting little guns and both of mine has been reliable with every kind of ammo I've stuffed in the mags.  I bought my wife one and the trigger in hers doesn't need a thing, it's almost identical to mine straight out of the box, except for reset isn't as short.  It's about 3 years newer.

Edited by Shadowrider

I'd be careful dropping the trigger weight beyond some smoothing.    If you listen to people like Andrew Branca and Mas Ayoob, if you shoot someone, a lightened trigger may lead to legal problems.  

Love the Trijicon HD sights.  

Edited by Smitty79

Warren night sights

Apex sear and a full polishing for a 5.0lb trigger. Smoothing it out is more important than lightening it.

Stippled the gun so I can hold onto it.

Pearce +0 extension (pinkie hook only) shaved down with a dremel until it’s just big enough to fit my hand, for maximum concealibility.

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Warren night sights

Apex sear and a full polishing for a 5.0lb trigger. Smoothing it out is more important than lightening it.

Stippled the gun so I can hold onto it.

Pearce +0 extension (pinkie hook only) shaved down with a dremel until it’s just big enough to fit my hand, for maximum concealibility.

Will the Warren night sights for regular M&P work? Or, are these specifically for Shield?

8 minutes ago, mwx40x40 said:

Will the Warren night sights for regular M&P work? Or, are these specifically for Shield?

Standard M&P sights fit as I recall. One of the vendors of them had “fits M&P shield” listed on one model or another. I bought them. They’re terrific sights.

White circle up front to draw your eye, and the blank rear disappears, in the day. Dim yellow rear dots and a seriously bright green front keep you lined up when you’ve gotta take that Tango out in the movie theatre, saving the lives of various CEOs who shower you with millions of dollars out of gratitude.

Edited by MemphisMechanic