Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hodgdon Varget Powder prices still Inflated or new norm?

littlefish

Just looked at Powder Valley's site (look like they change the web-frontend)  for some Varget and they wanted $185 for 8 lb can and $171 for IMR 4895, which I could stomach a little better. Just for grins took a look at Midway's site and they wanted $209 for Varget. Guess prices never really came down since the last shortage/run? Any suggestions for better deals? Even the pistol powders like Clays seem very high.

Edited by littlefish

• 1 month later...

I think prices on the Hodgdon Extreme line have always been a little higher and would consider anything lower than $190 to be a good deal on 8lb of it.  Many of the wholesalers (at least brownells and PV) have run 1c hazmat on $200+ orders recently. 

Other brands, particularly alliant and ramshot, seem to be more competitive than the hodgdon/imr conglomerate, or winchester, for that matter. 

This is a cut and paste from Ken Johnson, posted in a reloading Facebook group.  Ken is the ballistician for Shooters World Powders, and extremely knowledgeable about all things reloading.  Shooters World has just introduced a new powder to be used in similar applications as Varget.  I don't see this on Powder Valley's site yet, but I suspect it will be in the same price range as other 8# canisters of Shooters World powders when it gets there.  I can tell you that other powders of theirs are the real deal, and I expect nothing different from this one.

"Well.....we just completed numerous test loads of a new propellant. And we compared this new propellant to Hodgdon Varget. We're calling the new stuff "Precision Rifle". I'd have preferred "Target", but I guess that name was taken!

In every test load we've worked up, "Precision Rifle" has performed to within 25 fps from the alternative, Varget. And the pressure level of Precision Rifle corresponded identically to Varget also. In other words, "Same charge weight, same velocity, same pressure."

So far, we've tested .223 REM, .308 WIN, .30-30 WIN, 6.5 Creedmoor, .260 REM, .300 WIN MAG, .30-06, all with several bullet weights.

I just finished some extreme temperature testing this morning, because we KNOW everybody's going to be all hot and bothered about the temperature sensitivity. As for me, I don't see it as a big deal...but some folks do! And we aim to please.

So, by my calculations, I witnessed Varget velocity change at 0.13 fps/degree F. And the Precision Rifle velocity change was 0.09 fps/degree F. I shot all loads today at a maximum temperature of 150F. Ambient temperature for the day was 50F.

Now, what's a bigger deal for me, is that in each and every test of comparison, the velocity range and standard deviation of Precision Rifle was better than the alternative. Those numbers speak to me.

Another thing I liked about this propellant was that my Harrell Powder Dump was really consistent in dropping charge weights. It was seldom that I had to trickle additional grains into the pan, after a dump. That's a time saver for me, and I'm sure a time saver for hand loaders as well!

Being that this propellant is of the same burn rate as the alternative, and that we've tested it in numerous loads against this other popular powder...found it to have similar or better temperature sensitivity...and similar or better range and standard deviation...I wonder how soon we'll launch it??

Some of you may be following Shooters World propellants. We're a team of competitive shooters, who want to help other shooters. We don't play golf. We are not overly keen about sitting around in board rooms. We live, eat and breathe smokeless powder, and shooting. You can read about us and our products at www.shootersworldsc.com"

On 12/21/2017 at 8:23 AM, Todd7446 said:

This is a cut and paste from Ken Johnson, posted in a reloading Facebook group.  Ken is the ballistician for Shooters World Powders, and extremely knowledgeable about all things reloading.  Shooters World has just introduced a new powder to be used in similar applications as Varget.  I don't see this on Powder Valley's site yet, but I suspect it will be in the same price range as other 8# canisters of Shooters World powders when it gets there.  I can tell you that other powders of theirs are the real deal, and I expect nothing different from this one.

<snip.

Thanks for the information. I was never tied into shooter's world before. A better metering alternative to varget and 4064 would be very nice. Would love to to do all my rifle loading on the progressive. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2017 at 12:21 AM, RiggerJJ said:

Replace the Dillon measure with a RCBS measure and case activated linkage. No more stick powder problems...

imho

jj

+1 on this ^^^^^ works like a champ with stick powders...one of my best blue mods...except its still green :)

On 12/26/2017 at 12:21 AM, RiggerJJ said:

Replace the Dillon measure with a RCBS measure and case activated linkage. No more stick powder problems...

imho

jj

OK, I will try this. 

In other news germane to this thread, Powder Valley sent out their price change notification for the new year. Hodgdon is going up by 2%, as is their subsidiary IMR. I think Western/Ramshot is the only powder maker holding prices this year, and they are already cheap.