Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics Parts

JMcBurn

Looking to start shooting Carry Optics. Buying an outer impact dove tail mount and a used vortex venom 3 moa dot from the forum.

What are people using for Magazine extensions?

The Arredondo mag extensions work? Do you need the high power spring? I ask about them specifically because they are quite a bit cheaper compared to the taran or springer setups. 

Last question, how many extended mags are really needed? I am thinking 2 would be enough as at my local matches 50 rds in production was more than enough if you are hitting.

I've used Taylor Freelance and Taran basepads. I prefer the TTI because they are quicker to take the mags apart for cleaning (important feature when you have to drop the mags into the dirt or sand) Don't make the mistake of buying by price alone, the difference in price is minor compared to the cost of ammo and other consumables. I would recommend 3 mags, the third one is for when you either drop a mag on a reload, or not get it completely into the gun and it falls out. (it happens more than you think) I don't shoot CO anymore, I've moved on to Open so I use long mag tubes instead of extended basepads.

Edited by Bkreutz

On 11/5/2017 at 1:12 PM, Bkreutz said:

I've used Taylor Freelance and Taran basepads. I prefer the TTI because they are quicker to take the mags apart for cleaning (important feature when you have to drop the mags into the dirt or sand) Don't make the mistake of buying by price alone, the difference in price is minor compared to the cost of ammo and other consumables. I would recommend 3 mags, the third one is for when you either drop a mag on a reload, or not get it completely into the gun and it falls out. (it happens more than you think) I don't shoot CO anymore, I've moved on to Open so I use long mag tubes instead of extended basepads.

Is this experience with the M&P mags? If so, who makes long mag tubes for the M&P?

i am thinking about just shooting the last two matches of the year in C/O with factory 17 Rd mags. I am thinking it won't be a terrible showing compared to shooting with the dot for the first time. 

Never used the Arredondos, considered them because I'm cheap, but too many negative reviews.

Used TTIs, very nice pieces, easy to install, never had a problem on my M&P40/357.

For limited and CO I've always used two extended and one factory. Never ran out this way. I could get in a bind if I planned my reload early and fumbled it though, three extended would probably be smarter.

Beef15,

I am thinking I am gonna just grab two TTI kits for next year and add a 3rd if I begin running into issues. I have never shot C/O and have only shot 4 matches in production, so I think equipment is the least of my issue.

Just wish the arredondos were better because I can have 3 of them for less than 2 of the TTI kits.

Thanks

7 hours ago, JMcBurn said:

Is this experience with the M&P mags? If so, who makes long mag tubes for the M&P?

i am thinking about just shooting the last two matches of the year in C/O with factory 17 Rd mags. I am thinking it won't be a terrible showing compared to shooting with the dot for the first time. 

Nobody that I know of make long tubes for a M&P, when I switched to open I switched from M&P to STI