Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cause for concern on old witness?

38superfan

Got the gun for cheap, had hopes for it other than the cosmetics and visible issue of grip screw and grips. Went through the top end derusting and cleaning up. Got barrel cleaned up when I noticed the back side of barrel lugs don't look right. Front look good and square, back side, not so much. Hopefully the picks can do the talking. They look peened, quite uniformly too.

a473146e7512712d87bba6e37d8f992e.jpgecde3f4310dc1ffe4108b8d90a3ea1a8.jpg31ca81506683ac49b275c3cc39365498.jpgc21459f0929e3044f945a0c957e77e09.jpgb4527306fa9141aa5e322f3a63e81cc4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Looks like a bit of a timing issue, but my first inclination is that since the pistol seems to be well used, the parts have likely worked themselves into a position where the damage has ceased to increase. I would keep an eye on it.

It does indeed have some mileage on it. No ridges on the lugs.
Touching up the slide blue this evening, doing frame tomorrow.
It's mostly just for fun, informal steel shooting, and learning the ropes of competition. Barrels are apparently costly and hard to find for these things.

I wouldn't be concerned, that's a great find :cheers:. If it does become a problem EAA has new 6" barrels (9mm and 38 super) in stock for $191: https://eaacorp.com/gun_accessories/index.php/parts/tanfoglio/witness/barrels.html

I've also seen great results modifying that three port comp and adding some holes.

If you're interested in ditching that Coke can for a CMore I have a mount for you.

i would gently remove this small burr on last lug with 400-600 sandpaper by hand.

2 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I wouldn't be concerned, that's a great find :cheers:

me too .

it because in this barrel 2.5 lugs hold recoil instead of  full 3 

i have been told  in this forum that all big frame tan. use 2.5 lug lock  on slide ,because  in us shooters use this guns for bigger cal.

check accuracy . if it satisfy u all o.k.

(try show it to gunsmith for better inspection.)

enjoy new toy.;)

Edited by yigal

18 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:

I wouldn't be concerned, that's a great find :cheers:. If it does become a problem EAA has new 6" barrels (9mm and 38 super) in stock for $191: https://eaacorp.com/gun_accessories/index.php/parts/tanfoglio/witness/barrels.html

I've also seen great results modifying that three port comp and adding some holes.

If you're interested in ditching that Coke can for a CMore I have a mount for you.

never used or saw the Gilmore's, I thought the pdp4's were called coke cans (which described their size better than anything) were they that big?

Pdp4? was a big one. Think 40mm+. I like tube sights as they are easier for me to find the dot. I'm going to take a c-more mount off of Atlas's hands though. Didn't really want to dump a bunch of $ into this gun but I see no way around it. Not sure what to set my budget at really.

That looks like a Gilmore Red Leader scope. They have a windage knob that you turn to put in the lead for the moving target event in NRA Action Pistol. That's probably what this gun was originally built for.

That looks like a Gilmore Red Leader scope. They have a windage knob that you turn to put in the lead for the moving target event in NRA Action Pistol. That's probably what this gun was originally built for.
Nailed it.0bbbb7e4ee167e27ee32a1543517f8e5.jpg

Just got done cleaning it up. Pretty significant pitting under grip area. Wiped it down with dichropan t4 after a thorough wire brush beat down. Gotta dip some more work before it's ready to slay the plates, racks. a32e806e511a953c481196dbf4ebf97f.jpgbe2fd259bccc242caf1e06dd449a2d7f.jpg8d5c9bde60c08e1d727aaa3e29761fb4.jpgd4ebba0c9ed13a75586cc7d7d01afebb.jpg

Nice!  Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. Lugs don't look too bad. As ling as there are no sharp ridges sticking up you shouldn't have any problems.

I'd like to have a CZ75 myself, if I can find a SA version or get parts to do it.

5 hours ago, Dranoel said:

Nice!  Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. Lugs don't look too bad. As ling as there are no sharp ridges sticking up you shouldn't have any problems.

I'd like to have a CZ75 myself, if I can find a SA version or get parts to do it.

I have a SAO one and love it. Getting some Cajun parts and it'llbe set perfect.