Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How accurate are airsoft pistols?

lgh

As winter rolls into the midwest, I am thinking about getting an airsoft M&P for indoor practice and fun. But if the pistol can't shoot 3" groups at ten yards I don't have much use for it. What are these airsoft guns capable of?

Don't know about the particular pistol that you have in mind, but generally they are good enough that IPSC has created the Action Air Division for them. I've only seen one stage and the distance wasn't much over 5 meters on that one. People were accurately placing shots on scaled down paper targets and lightweight plates and poppers. They use a stop plate system for reliable timing.

Here's somebody's old match footage from a place I know. The last one of the video (El Presidente Challenge) is from a 10 meter airgun range. Looks like 8 meters, or so, on scaled down targets. The Action Air target is 30cm wide, and the A Zone 10cm (about 4").

gp-we-023-b.jpgI have a pair of these one for me one for my wife. Mine has a red dot holographic sight and I have used it for many years. I like this model for two reasons one of the longer barrel generates more velocity on the pellet and the skeletonized slide reciprocates much more quickly. Trigger pull and handling are close to my 1911 type 38 super competition gun. I have found the gun more than accurate for my drills in the backyard. All distances have been reduced to one third of standard as have all targets. Everything else is the same. I'm a 74-year-old ex-cop X competitor and concealed weapon carrier. I use a Look-alike double-action  Airsoft weapon similar to what I carry. Almost all of my self-defense practice these days is done with the Airsoft pistol as I would practice much less having to go to a range and shoot . I shoot at least weekly with the Airsoft pistol as I enjoy it quite a bit. I have no experience with any of the Beretta type competition pistols but I read good things about them and if you're looking for more velocity you might consider going to pistols that will handle both CO2 and green gas. I also use propane conversion as green gas is much more expensive and not more effective. Hope this helps John a Kennedy retired from almost everything but shooting

Rules for IPSC Action Air limit the power:

5.1.2 Approved Action Air Handguns are those which fire projectiles of 6 mm diameter (also see Rule 5.5.4). ...
5.5.4 Projectiles made of any material other than polymer or biodegradable materials such as starch or bio-plastic are prohibited at IPSC Action Air matches.
5.6.1 The maximum power factor of projectiles in all Divisions is two Joules or the maximum power factor specified by law in the Region hosting a match, whichever is lower

https://www.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesAir.pdf

(2 Joule equals about 1.47512 foot-pounds)

Not quite sure about how accurate they are, but the quality of BBs will definitely assist with accuracy. I think the key for airsoft pistols are scaled targets. Any particular range you're looking for? If I have some free time, I can see if I can put my airsoft 1911 on some bags and shoot some groups. 

13 hours ago, touji said:

Any particular range you're looking for?

10 yds max. If I can get 3" that would be great.  The pistol I'm considering is a M&P. Thanks in advance.

"if your basement or garage isn't too full of stuff you cannot move."  If I re-purpose the stuff as barriers, I can postpone a lot of cleanup :)

• 2 weeks later...
10 yds max. If I can get 3" that would be great.  The pistol I'm considering is a M&P. Thanks in advance.

"if your basement or garage isn't too full of stuff you cannot move."  If I re-purpose the stuff as barriers, I can postpone a lot of cleanup [emoji4]
Hi, there is an Airsoft match similar to Steel Challenge where plates are set on a max range of 10 meters ( 9.4 yd more or less) with 4", the guns are usually CO2 or Propano propelled ones.

Most people use on that matches brands like Tokyo Marui (usually the most accurate out of the box), WE (very accurate too), KJW and some replicas of Tanfoglio and CZ assembled by KWC wich are identical to the real ones in height, weight, and trigger pull, but have an annoying issue, hammer breaks around 15k shoots, so people makes a steel hammer after that .

Comparison of Tokyo Marui x VFC (It's easy to find a WE too)

Best regards

Enviado de meu SM-G610M usando Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies. I picked up a licensed M&P to play with. Quite impressed with the quality and trigger. I have to get the co2 needle valve to fill the magazine and then it's off to the basement for fun. Where do you lube these things? I'm assuming the barrel needs no lube, the rails do need lube. but what else? Where are the o rings on these?

CO2 does not have any lubrification mixed in the gas capsule, avoid WD40, use grease for the metal-on-metal slidy/rubby bits (slide rails for example, hammer group). People suggest lithium grease, but I really use what i have at hand.

Silicone oil to be applied once per month or so directly into the blowback system to lube the o-ring/seal there.

If you´ll leave the gun without use for long time, leave it charged with a not full CO2, this mostly prevent that the o-rings became loose.

Thanks perttime.

Another issue has come up. The M&P magazine charges via a needle adaptor.  I need that adaptor but Evike, who sold me the gun, says they don't have them. Incredible since they claim they test fired the gun!  I am not impressed. What did they do, blow air in by mouth?

On 11/25/2017 at 10:13 AM, lgh said:

Thanks perttime.

Another issue has come up. The M&P magazine charges via a needle adaptor.  I need that adaptor but Evike, who sold me the gun, says they don't have them. Incredible since they claim they test fired the gun!  I am not impressed. What did they do, blow air in by mouth?

I have to make amends. It turns out the M&P runs on propane (green gas) and not co2 like I had thought. Not Evike's fault that I did not know that. The green gas apparently comes in a can with the needle adaptor on  it. I ordered the gas and should shoot some groups next week

1 hour ago, perttime said:

Oh.... That was it? Didn't you get any manual or other instructions that tell you how to operate the pistol?

Nothing specific about gas and nothing on where to lube.

I'm looking forward to shooting it. Nice to have something come out the other end while practicing.

On 12/1/2017 at 2:30 PM, lgh said:

Nothing specific about gas and nothing on where to lube.

I'm looking forward to shooting it. Nice to have something come out the other end while practicing.

This thing is a hoot! Good trigger, great feel. Not a replacement for dry fire but a lot more fun.  Have to find a way to keep the busted BB's from messing up the basement. A box of wine corks or rags works pretty well. Picked up 4" of foam and will check that, too. Will check groups soon but I do know the 25g BB's shoot low.

On 12/7/2017 at 4:23 PM, lgh said:

This thing is a hoot! Good trigger, great feel. Not a replacement for dry fire but a lot more fun.  Have to find a way to keep the busted BB's from messing up the basement. A box of wine corks or rags works pretty well. Picked up 4" of foam and will check that, too. Will check groups soon but I do know the 25g BB's shoot low.

Tough to measure groups when shooting through paper with bb's (a lot of rips and tears) but they seem to be about 1 - 1 1/2 at 20 feet. Not bad and that is with sights that are not the best. Shooting low might be related to my sight alignment and not the sights per se.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...