Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting an STI DVC OPEN, need help with 9mm major load

WAlamo

Hello to all of you.  I'll be getting a new STI DVC open.  It will be 9mm and I plan to shoot 9mm major.  I have experience reloading, but not 9mm major.  I'm looking for suggestions as far as OAL, powder and qty to begin loading major for this gun.  I'm planning on using 124gr round nose RMR bullets.  My first approach was going to be using the maximum suggested powder qty found in reputable reloading books for 9mm + 1gr.  Any recomendations are welcome.

I use Winchester Autocomp in my DVC open. I use precision delta and Montana gold 124 gr JHP. I’m never used RMR bullets so I can help there. The fully jacketed have worked great for me. I load long... 1.165”. When I first got the gun I started my load development at 6.2 gr of WAC which gave me 158 PF. I built up slowly from there to get it to 172 PF using 6.9 gr WAC. Numbers provided for reference only. Work up to you load safely, etc etc. I would do a plunk text to determine the max COAL you gun can take and load out towards that length, but don’t press into the lands obviously. Good luck with the DVC. It’s fun when it runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does RMR mean? I’ve not seen that before or I’m spacing.

I have loaded both coated lead and jhp. For coated lead 125gr bullets I loaded to 1.165” with 7.0 gr of WAC. This got me 171 out of my dvc. For JHPs I loaded 115s to 1.175 and 7.5gr WAC got me 169pf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RMR= Rocky Mountain Reloading. They sell bullets. Great product at good prices especially if you catch them on sale, which is often.

Spend some time in the reloading section of Enos. You will find what you seek.

Most of the guys I know that are shooting 9 major use a jacketed bullet and HS6 or Autocomp.

Good luck!

I shoot a 9mm STI DVC Open gun...  my major load is ..... 6.7gr Auto Comp using SPP... 124gr Precision Delta bullets ... OAL is 1.16 using mixed brass...    suggest you start low and work up to your best load using a chronograph .... HAPPY SHOOTING !

I tried some 115 Grain RMRs for 9 major.  They are too short for 1.165 OAL.  I couldn't get the crimp to hold them in the brass and they would just fall out  I don't know if RMR has any JHP in 115 or not..

I run about what everyone else does.  124 JHP (longer bullets) with either WAC or CFE Pistol agout 6.8-7.0 grains.  Start  at about 6.5 grains and work up from there.

Thank you!!  Now I have a better idea of where to start.  I will order a few 124gr round nose and a few HP both jacketed to test both.

I was shooting production, then CO using titegroup.  A friend is going to give me some CFE powder for the open gun.  That should set me up to prepare my load.

Again, thank you for all your help.

RMR 115 FMJs, 8.8-9.0gr HS6, Winchester SRP @ 1.165". Should be around 170pf. It is by far a better feeling load than 124s IMO. 

I've put about 10,000 rounds thru mine this year with 0 leading 

Edited by Bdh821

3 hours ago, WAlamo said:

I will order a round nose and a few HP to test both.

No reason to "test them" JHP's are The Way to Go ...

Don't forget The Plunk Test and use a chrono - don't load too many until you've actually shot them

in YOUR gun.   :) 

Hi,

I load RMR 124s (they are actually 125 on my scale). OAL is 1.168 and I use for my gun (STI GrandMaster Trubor) 8.4g of HS-6. I'm getting ~175 pf out of it but my gun appears to be slow (like the owner). Plenty of grip on the bullet but they do look different because they are much rounder than PDs or MGs.

Edited by frankge

I also have the STI DVC 9mm Major and my load is:

7.0gr CFE-Pistol

124 gr MGB (Montana Gold bullet) JHP

1.165 OAL

Avg. 1440 FPS (70 degree day, Minnesota)

If this is brand new and you have any failure to eject or it gets caught on the C-more, get an AFTEC extractor.  That fixed all my problems.  Also chrono you loads and find the sweet spot for speed that works the comp to keep the barrel more level.  

Good Luck and welcome to the DVC club.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2017 at 10:21 AM, cecil said:

I shoot a 9mm STI DVC Open gun...  my major load is ..... 6.7gr Auto Comp using SPP... 124gr Precision Delta bullets ... OAL is 1.16 using mixed brass...    suggest you start low and work up to your best load using a chronograph .... HAPPY SHOOTING !

You only use small pistol primers. Any light strikes

I also have the STI DVC 9mm Major and my load is:

7.0gr CFE-Pistol
124 gr MGB (Montana Gold bullet) JHP
1.165 OAL
Avg. 1440 FPS (70 degree day, Minnesota)

If this is brand new and you have any failure to eject or it gets caught on the C-more, get an AFTEC extractor.  That fixed all my problems.  Also chrono you loads and find the sweet spot for speed that works the comp to keep the barrel more level.  
Good Luck and welcome to the DVC club.

I’m not the OP, but I put in an Aftec last weekend and ran 200 rounds without a failure yesterday. It’s too soon to say my troubles are over, but this sure seems to have helped.

48 minutes ago, TeedOff said:

I was feeling good about the aftec fixing my extraction problems...until I notice my comp had cracked at the Tuesday night match.

Sti is very good about warranty.  It just sucks waiting to get it back.  I'm on week 8. I get one back tomorrow tho!  But, my backup DVC Open will be getting shipped out probably next week for a cracked comp...

they claim to have redesigned the comp.  I will take pics of my 2 next to each other to compare the revisions in the comp design.  Although BE doesn't allow high res photo uploads and I don't wanna open some account somewhere to upload pics.

Edited by Bdh821

On 11/21/2017 at 9:21 PM, TeedOff said:

I was feeling good about the aftec fixing my extraction problems...until I notice my comp had cracked at the Tuesday night match.

On 11/21/2017 at 7:56 PM, Bdh821 said:

I just cracked my 2nd comp on my DVC Open...   I bet I have my own shelf at the  STI warranty department 

Could you guys post pictures of the cracks, I am curious where they are cracking.  Also, what bullets are you using?

Could you guys post pictures of the cracks, I am curious where they are cracking.  Also, what bullets are you using?

I'm using precision delta 124 gr jhp at the moment. The cracks on my comp are at the top of the rear most side ports on both sides. Gun is packaged up to send back so I can't take a picture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk