Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement MBX mag springs?

superlifer03

Been using MBX mags for a year in my .40 limited gun and they do not look as good as when I got them.  They are still running great but feel like it is time to replace springs.  They are barely sticking out of the bottom when i take the basepads.

Are there any better spring follower combos that still give you 21 reloadable in .40?

Should I just get new Springs  (5 for $45) from MBX?  I never had a problem with mine except the occasional round slipping past the follower.

Thanks in advance.  

Edited by superlifer03

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm just now starting to get my factory MBX springs worn out. With only asking a few opinions and researched very little, I've found grams springs and followers seem to be a consensus but I very well could be wrong. 

I normally only get at most a year out of the springs in any 2011 mags that I use. I have gotten in the habit of changing springs in my MBX mags after 6-7 months. Since we shoot all year round in Florida, I tend to wear them a little more. I know people who run grams followers and springs in MBX tubes, but I've stuck with full MBX set ups and have never had an issue. I get 20 in the mags reloadable. 

On 11/2/2017 at 1:39 PM, TennJeep1618 said:

This is the best combination I've found.

I had not heard that and am due for new springs.  I will give them a try in my problem mag.  I really like the mid size MBX mags for regular stage use.  

Well, I tried Grams springs and followers in my MBX mags and was not happy (they work fine in STI tubes).  I have zero problems with the MBX springs and followers and get an easy 20 reloadable in my 140 mags (40sw).  The only 'tuning' I do with new springs and followers is to load the mags fully and let them sit for a week, as recommended by MBX  This 'conditions' the spring..

I️ have put one gram spring/follower set in a 9mm 170 MBX mag and had good luck with it. All my other mags for 40 and 9 I️ use stock MBX parts. I️ did find that I️ needed to stretch the springs to keep them working well. My standard now is to take my mags apart brush the tube and stretch the springs between stages and they run great. I️ stretch them till there is about 3 or 4 coils out of the bottom of the mag when the follower is fully inserted. Seems like a pain in the ass but it works so I’ll keep going with it for now.

That said, I️ do not stretch or mess with my mags/springs during practice sessions and rarely if ever have issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

With the stock MBX follower and spring in my 170 mm mag I could only squeeze 29 rounds into it (9mm) and I didn't like the way it reloaded. I put TTI springs and followers in and now I get 30 rounds in and a comfortable 29 reloadable. I'm assuming it's the spring because the TTI follower on the MBX spring doesn't change anything. The length of the 2 springs are the same so I'm guessing the spring rate of the TTI is lighter. Also the TTI follower doesn't allow a round "tipover" to happen. I did have to grind off the slide lock tab because TTI doesn't offer a non slide lock version like MBX does.

Only issue I had was rounds slipping past the follower.  Doesn't make a big deal when I am training and I disassemble and clean if they hit the ground on a match.   I am just gonna get new MBX springs. Thanks fellas.  

Edited by superlifer03

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, FlightMedic376 said:

I am going to be new to the 2011 platform and need to get some mags.  On the MBX website it says that the mags will only work with MBX components.  Is this just a ploy to get you to use their stuff.  Do the Grams guts work without modification?

I've used both Grams and TTI internals with success.  In my 170s TTI got me one more round (30 loadable, 29 reloadable) and is reliable.  As usual, YMMV.

Edited by teros135

On 11/5/2017 at 10:37 AM, superlifer03 said:

Only issue I had was rounds slipping past the follower.  Doesn't make a big deal when I am training and I disassemble and clean if they hit the ground on a match.   I am just gonna get new MBX springs. Thanks fellas.  

Chances are you are using the wrong MBX follower.  Gen 2 followers only work in Gen 2 mags.

On 12/18/2017 at 8:38 PM, superlifer03 said:

I was using the same springs and followers that were in the magazines when I bought them. I didn't realize there were different Gen mags and springs from MBX

I am not sure about the springs but the followers and mag bodies are now different.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2017 at 2:11 PM, Bdh821 said:

Grams springs/followers in MBX tubes/baseplate. Love em

On 11/2/2017 at 2:39 PM, TennJeep1618 said:

This is the best combination I've found.

Were these .40 mags? I must have glossed over this thread before I started one. Just joined so sorry for quoting old responses. I am having issues with my MBX followers riding too high and binding up my action if the pistol is run dry. I run grams in STI tubes for my 9mm setup and thought about trying them with my MBX .40 mags to see if this fixes my issue.

2 minutes ago, SlappyMcTrigger said:

Were these .40 mags? I must have glossed over this thread before I started one. Just joined so sorry for quoting old responses. I am having issues with my MBX followers riding too high and binding up my action if the pistol is run dry. I run grams in STI tubes for my 9mm setup and thought about trying them with my MBX .40 mags to see if this fixes my issue.

Mine were 9mm mags.

On 11/5/2017 at 9:37 AM, superlifer03 said:

I assume you mean this is happening when you drop a mag with rounds in it, correct?   I'm just curious because I'm about to order some MBX mags or Grams gut for my new GEN STI mags......

2 hours ago, SlappyMcTrigger said:

Mine were 9mm also.