Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have had it! Done with it...

The only complaint I had regarding the 650 that I owned was that it was bad about slinging powder. A complaint shared by many.

I was shooting Open at the time and the little 9mm case was near full, and since the shell plate is relatively small, it indexed fast and threw powder.

I solved the problem by selling it and buying a Super 1050. :D

12 hours ago, MikieM said:

The only complaint I had regarding the 650 that I owned was that it was bad about slinging powder. A complaint shared by many.

I was shooting Open at the time and the little 9mm case was near full, and since the shell plate is relatively small, it indexed fast and threw powder.

I solved the problem by selling it and buying a Super 1050. :D

That sounds like when I could no longer focus on the sights in Production. I could have gotten prescription lenses for a few hundred bucks but instead bought two Open guns. 

The 650 powder slinging problem is an easy fix by several methods. All of which cost thousands less than buying a 1050.?

16 minutes ago, Sarge said:

That sounds like when I could no longer focus on the sights in Production. I could have gotten prescription lenses for a few hundred bucks but instead bought two Open guns. 

The 650 powder slinging problem is an easy fix by several methods. All of which cost thousands less than buying a 1050.?

You're contradicting yourself there, Sarge. :)

6 hours ago, Broncman said:

I have always read that, but mine does not? I am loading for 9 major  with HS6 and 3n38.

I also go rather slow.

Going slow is the easiest and cheapest fix to powder slinging for sure. But like was said above, the whole idea of a 650 is to make great ammo in a relative hurry. With a fully blown 650 with casefeeder and MBF slow is around 1000 rounds an hour.

On 11/5/2017 at 6:55 AM, inspector1999 said:

I went with a 650 after a square deal and I am not disappointed at all. I went poor person on the bullet feeder and bought just the die and powder funnel for a Mr. Bullet. Now just dump bullets in the die and it places them, easy and only $90.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Interesting.  Got any pictures or video of this?   A link maybe.  

1 hour ago, CTJer said:
Interesting.  Got any pictures or video of this?   A link maybe.  

http://benstoegerproshop.com/daa-hornady-powder-funnel-for-double-alpha-mr-bullet-feeder/

http://benstoegerproshop.com/mr-bulletfeeder-by-double-alpha-academy-daa-bullet-feed-die-assembly-only/

I replaced the powder funnel with the DAA one as it was recommended to make things work better. I bought the die only and put it in station 3. (1 - Decap and resize, 2 - powder drop and bell with DAA funnel, 3 - Mr bullet feeder die, 4 - Seat, 5 - Crimp). The bullet feeder die holds 6 - 9mm 125 Grain BBI bullets. So I still have to place the bullets into the die the correct orientation, but the die places them in the case. So it is more consistent and easier for me. I only have to make sure they are going in the die right side up.

https://youtu.be/G8p0u7lJg80 

Edited by inspector1999
Added YouTube Link

16 hours ago, inspector1999 said:

http://benstoegerproshop.com/daa-hornady-powder-funnel-for-double-alpha-mr-bullet-feeder/

http://benstoegerproshop.com/mr-bulletfeeder-by-double-alpha-academy-daa-bullet-feed-die-assembly-only/

I replaced the powder funnel with the DAA one as it was recommended to make things work better. I bought the die only and put it in station 3. (1 - Decap and resize, 2 - powder drop and bell with DAA funnel, 3 - Mr bullet feeder die, 4 - Seat, 5 - Crimp). The bullet feeder die holds 6 - 9mm 125 Grain BBI bullets. So I still have to place the bullets into the die the correct orientation, but the die places them in the case. So it is more consistent and easier for me. I only have to make sure they are going in the die right side up.

https://youtu.be/G8p0u7lJg80 

Cool.   Thanks. 

I just picked up a 650 a couple of weeks ago.  I've been tinkering and getting it fine tuned since then.  To be honest, there isn't much 'tuning' it's more of an acclamation process for me.  I was using a 550 so there's a bit of an adjustment.

I'm going to keep the 550 for .45 and use the 650 for 9mm and 223.  I figure this way I'm not changing primer stations.  I also opted for the MBF which arrived last Wednesday from DAA.  I haven't set the MBF up yet, because I want to make sure I know my way around the 650 really well first.

I strongly considered the 1050 since I'm only using it for my two high volume rounds, but opted instead to get the MBF with the 650.  I could have done it with the 1050, but I really couldn't justify the price especially with the caliber conversion.  It was really, and I mean really hard not to do it.  Which ultimately means I'm just postponing the inevitable.  I can see upgrading to a 1050 for 9mm and 223, and relegating the 650 to 45 in the future., and likely selling the 550, but only because I don't really have the space for three presses.

Volume wise, the 650 even without the MBF is great.  I'm doing in 20-30 minutes, what took me an hour on the 550.  I can do 300-400 rounds an hour on the 550 at a steady pace.  So that was a real improvement for me, and once I get the MBF installed, I can easily see 1000/hour.