Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VIHTAVUORI N320 VS Titegroup

dirty5thirty

On 10/31/2017 at 4:14 PM, bowenbuilt said:

I have found that Sport Pistol and N320 gives the least amount of smoke with coated bullets than anything else i have tried. If you can't find 320 try some Sport Pistol, it is nearly smokeless with coated bullets and is much cheaper than N320.

What bullet and charge weight are using with Sport Pistol?

I once never cared about powder, and thought I would never try such a gourmet powder such as N320, but the Obamascare years gave me no choice - at one point it was the only powder available.  I am glad I tried it and used it exclusively for years in the past regime. : ) it is very comfortable to shoot, and I have more than one occasion shot my TG loads and N320 back to back to find (surprisingly) that N320 (for me) shoots a drastically titer group (pun intended).

Like Postal Bob I use TG to plink and N320 at matches.
My calcs show half a cent difference too.  I save about $190 per year shooting TG.  Even at half a cent $190 is still $190. 
I have gotten so comfortable with the impulse of TG that it feels weird going to another powder.  Another powder that isn't N320 that is.

Calc out how much you shoot in a year and that puts things in better perspective.
If they were the same price heck yeah I would use N320 all day long and twice on Saturdays.

You shoot 38,000 pistol rounds a year and you are worried about $190? Shaking my head!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to ignore this thread, but I'm in a contrary mood, so here goes.

TiteGroup is one of the very worst powders being foisted on shooters.  I don't know why it is so popular, but my guess is because you can walk into any store around here and find boatloads of it for cheap.  VV powders are a mixed bag.  N310 is a disaster from a temp sensitivity perspective.  N320 is no better than a couple of other powders.  N340 is terrific, but expensive.  I'd love to try N350 or 3n38 for my Open guns, but even at $42/lb they disappear within minutes of hitting the shelves.

Expand your horizons.  You would be amazed at how well many of the shot shell powders, plus WAC and Silhouette work for a majority of reloads from 9mm to 45.  Plus, the pricing is reasonable.  For example, I can buy 8 lbs. of Alliant e3 locally for less than I would pay for 4 lbs. of N320, and that is BEFORE shipping and hazmat.

Seems like a 9mm vs 45acp debate here. You love one or the other. In my mind the VV N320 shooters are the guys with the baller bank accounts that have the same number of digits as my phone number.

Personally loaded hundred of thousands of rounds with Titegroup and never seen a problem with it. I just cant justify the cost of the N320. My 1911 45 will start to get pretty dirty around the 1k round mark with TG. 9mm and 40 never had a problem either. Maybe I clean my guns to much? 

As of today, 8lbs of TG is 127.50 at PV and 8lbs of VVN320 is $227. So unless I'm putting double the charge with TG, it isn't even close to worth it for me. 

5 minutes ago, Dutchman195 said:

Seems like a 9mm vs 45acp debate here. You love one or the other. In my mind the VV N320 shooters are the guys with the baller bank accounts that have the same number of digits as my phone number.

Personally loaded hundred of thousands of rounds with Titegroup and never seen a problem with it. I just cant justify the cost of the N320. My 1911 45 will start to get pretty dirty around the 1k round mark with TG. 9mm and 40 never had a problem either. Maybe I clean my guns to much? 

As of today, 8lbs of TG is 127.50 at PV and 8lbs of VVN320 is $227. So unless I'm putting double the charge with TG, it isn't even close to worth it for me. 

The difference between 8lbs of TG and 8lbs of 320 is .0089$ per bullet.  (1400 bullets per pound is the basis)  You don't need a baller bank account for such a tiny difference. 

It all adds up. I have been shooting PD 124 JHPs at .089 per bullet as I was shooting major (HS-6) and minor (TG) in 9mm. Now I am switching to 125 coated for <.06 per bullet because I am shooting minor only. With a guesstimated 30k rounds for next season - that is a $870 difference. Couldn't justify giving back 1/3 of it just to have a cleaner shooting powder. 

I can walk into a local box store and they will price match anything I can find TG for and I just have to pay local tax on it. With tax my last 8lb jug of TG is costing me .0096 per round. VV N320 is not available at any retailer near me and can be hard to find online at times. When I have ran numbers on shipping and hazmat even when picking up four 4-lb bottles at a time was something like .0179 per round. That is $250 I can spend on other things. 

5 hours ago, MHitchcock said:

It all adds up. I have been shooting PD 124 JHPs at .089 per bullet as I was shooting major (HS-6) and minor (TG) in 9mm. Now I am switching to 125 coated for <.06 per bullet because I am shooting minor only. With a guesstimated 30k rounds for next season - that is a $870 difference. Couldn't justify giving back 1/3 of it just to have a cleaner shooting powder. 

I can walk into a local box store and they will price match anything I can find TG for and I just have to pay local tax on it. With tax my last 8lb jug of TG is costing me .0096 per round. VV N320 is not available at any retailer near me and can be hard to find online at times. When I have ran numbers on shipping and hazmat even when picking up four 4-lb bottles at a time was something like .0179 per round. That is $250 I can spend on other things. 

Still, you just proved the real savings is in bullets. 

1 hour ago, MHitchcock said:

It's a bigger savings for sure. But, why would I spend an extra $250 on a powder that is harder to get and more expensive when TG has been working fine in my PCC and production gun? 

When I tried both in Production 320 was much cleaner, burned cooler, and was softer shooting. TG kept causing my FO rod to fail.

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

When I tried both in Production 320 was much cleaner, burned cooler, and was softer shooting. TG kept causing my FO rod to fail.

Fail how? Get dirty? Mine does that too, but when you clean the gun you just wipe it off. Of i just use my finger to wipe it off if I happen to see a noticeable difference in the middle of a practice. 

3 hours ago, Dutchman195 said:

Fail how? Get dirty? Mine does that too, but when you clean the gun you just wipe it off. Of i just use my finger to wipe it off if I happen to see a noticeable difference in the middle of a practice. 

Melted it causing it to break

On October 31, 2017 at 8:41 AM, dirty5thirty said:

I have been loading with titegroup and love it because of the price I shoot alot for uspsa. I am running Gallent 125's and it smokes alot. I'm wanting to know if switching to n320 is worth the additional cost vs titegroup. I've heard titegroup and coated bullets just smoke alot and that's the name of the game. I'd switch if it really does shoot cleaner and smoke less.

Its not the powder that is smoking but rather the nitro in the powder is attacking and softening the paint on your coated bullets, causing the paint to burn smoke. If you load some bullets and let them sit for a month, then pull the bullets you will see the powder flakes sticking to the bases of your bullets. You can research this more over at Cast Boolits .com 

On October 31, 2017 at 8:41 AM, dirty5thirty said:

I have been loading with titegroup and love it because of the price I shoot alot for uspsa. I am running Gallent 125's and it smokes alot. I'm wanting to know if switching to n320 is worth the additional cost vs titegroup. I've heard titegroup and coated bullets just smoke alot and that's the name of the game. I'd switch if it really does shoot cleaner and smoke less.

Its not the powder that is smoking but rather the nitro in the powder is attacking and softening the paint on your coated bullets, causing the paint to burn smoke. If you load some bullets and let them sit for a month, then pull the bullets you will see the powder flakes sticking to the bases of your bullets. You can research this more over at Cast Boolits .com 

20 hours ago, igolfat8 said:

I wish I was efficient enough to load enough ammo to sit there. My last three matches I've woken up earlier to load 400 rounds right before I get in the car to drive to the range. 

Ive used titegroup, n320, ramshot comp, solo1000, hp38 and wst ...

out of all of them N320 was my favorite for a while but was expensive and disappeared on the selves. And found out the Ramshot Comp and E3 is alot cheaper and softer...

9mm 135gr 3.5grs of N320 vs 3.3grs of Ramshot Comp vs 3.2grs of E3 ... E3 is the softest out of all of them and is very accurate but seems to like being alittle compressed because the diviation tightens up as you do ...

so morale of the story is;  get what ever powder your wallet can afford to maintain... hehehehehe I like E3 cheap and soft and accurate

ps. I used a bunch of N320, Ramshot Comp, WST and still have about 40lbs of E3

Edited by RippSpeed

On 11/12/2017 at 11:44 AM, RippSpeed said:

Ive used titegroup, n320, ramshot comp, solo1000, hp38 and wst ...

out of all of them N320 was my favorite for a while but was expensive and disappeared on the selves. And found out the Ramshot Comp and E3 is alot cheaper and softer...

9mm 135gr 3.5grs of N320 vs 3.3grs of Ramshot Comp vs 3.2grs of E3 ... E3 is the softest out of all of them and is very accurate but seems to like being alittle compressed because the diviation tightens up as you do ...

so morale of the story is;  get what ever powder your wallet can afford to maintain... hehehehehe I like E3 cheap and soft and accurate

ps. I used a bunch of N320, Ramshot Comp, WST and still have about 40lbs of E3

I'll try and find some e3 locally and try it out as well thanks!